Is Obama gaming us?

Ask Obama. He mentioned in his speech the need to resolve this now before the new congress is seated fearing that an enduring debate would weaken his position and that of the dems to clear passage.
You probably misunderstood him.

I don't think so.
I believe he may have been talking about writing new legislation for a middle class tax cut, and how difficult that would be to get done, while retroactively helping the people who will be hit with a tax increase on Jan 1.

You probably misunderstood him.

I don't think so.
I believe he may have been talking about writing new legislation for a middle class tax cut, and how difficult that would be to get done, while retroactively helping the people who will be hit with a tax increase on Jan 1.

he was speaking about the preservation of the tax cuts he instituted as part of the stimulus bill and of the unemployment extensions.

I don't think so.

he was speaking about the preservation of the tax cuts he instituted as part of the stimulus bill and of the unemployment extensions.
We were talking about the Bush Tax Cuts.

What does Obama need to do to prove he's a total moron?

If Americans weren't whining, brainwashed, assholes they'd demand a new election before the entire country collapses under the $trillions of debt. The treasury bonds are hovering ready to collapse.

To take the debt commission serious after it completely failed to demand a credible budget makes the poor bastards being foreclosed out of their homes look brilliant.

How many ridiculous stalls will bond holders ignore before they bolt out of their positions?
Get the picture:
Screwed Again: GO OBAMA ADD $1trillion DEBT

Last edited:
I think Obama is going for broke. If he can't win or even run in 2012 he doesn't mind sacrificing himself to preserve his party.

But if he wins, he wins big.

At this point Obama wins big against everyone except Romney. And even then he still wins. But what he is assuring is a near bullet proof candidacy.

at this point Obama may not have the support of his party for a second term. imo.

But what does Obama really need politically to change that?

1) he needs to saddle the GOP with responsibility for the deficit and the economy

2) see #1

That may well be..but he really doesn't need the "support" of his party. They just need to choose him as candidate and they will.

And "saddling" the GOP with the responsibility for the deficit and the economy is pretty much a shoe in. Why..because for the most part..they are responsible. The GOP under Bush left the country with an unmitigated disaster. And they've been doing everything in their power to stop a recovery since 2009. So if this is a cynical move..it's not entirely undeserved. And as cynical as it is..it is also in it's only way sort of brilliant. The Conservatives have been yammering about how they want to "get the deficit" under control while overtly hoping for permanent tax cuts for the rich. Well..here it is. Kicking this down 2 more years is almost assurance of the permanence part..while at the same time blowing a huge hole in the deficit.

2 years from now..if this goes..President Obama can point to the Republicans wanting it to happen.

And if it doesn't go..President Obama can point to the Republicans ending unemployment benefits..while he tried to compromise with them.

It's a win-win...politically.

But a loser for the economy and the country.

Last edited:

We were talking about Obama's compromise with the GOP over the Bush tax cuts, Obama's stimulus tax cuts, unemployment extensions etc.

The above exchange is why I and Trajan's link are both on the side of Obama outsmarting himself. He will get his original deal with Pelosi and Reid through the lame duck session and give the GOP all sorts of room to critique his backstabbing moves.

I get the distinct feeling that Obama's compromise with the repubs over tax cut extensions etc is a Trojan horse.

He may be instead setting up a scenario to rescue the dem party from the dump heap of history at his own expense.

If the dems refuse the deal and if the compromise is as unpopular as it appears now then the GOP may be saddled with an election issue that they can't overcome.

All the GOP would have to do is hold their ground until January and pass it anyway against Dem objection to seal their fate as the party of rich millionaires who don't give a damned about main street and who only care about their own estates.

In any case if the dems finally stand up and take this to the wall the GOP is cutting their own throats by supporting the tax cut extension.

You gotta wonder because even the compromise only extends the cuts two years, and by then unemployment extensions will have ended, making this topic red hot and fresh news just in time for the election in 2012.

If the economy still sucks, and it will, the GOP will own the miserable economy on the eve of the election and they will have completely surrendered any claim to fiscal responsibility or concern over the deficit.
I think you've made an accurate and logical assessment which I agree 100% with. And your Trojan Horse metaphor is right on.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'd simply accepted the reports that Candidate Obama's impressive war chest was comprised of small donations from "little people." But today, when a caller to Thom Hartmann's program said he didn't believe that a light went on in my head and the answer to a few troubling questions, such as why Obama appointed Paulson, Geithner and Summers, and why he's retained the infrastructure of the Bush Administration, and why he's quietly worked to prevent prosecution of the Bush Crime Family, suddenly became clear. He is a goddam Trojan Horse inside which are the bankers, the Wall Streeters and representatives of the corporatist power structure -- the real source of all the money he supposedly raised from "small donations."

I believe he failed in his most important mission which was to enable extension of the upper income tax cuts. But thankfully the Democrats have refused to go along with his sneaky maneuver and I'm hoping that now the covers will start coming off this phony sonofabitch and we will see him for what he really is.

Last edited:
He is trying to piss off the Progressive base of the Democrat party. Why? He wants them violent.

They wanted the Tea Parties to be violent. But the Tea parties arent. The President and his associates need violence.

We need to start gathering together in local communities and preparing for what's to come. Particularly preparing to act non-violently.

I get the distinct feeling that Obama's compromise with the repubs over tax cut extensions etc is a Trojan horse.

He may be instead setting up a scenario to rescue the dem party from the dump heap of history at his own expense.

If the dems refuse the deal and if the compromise is as unpopular as it appears now then the GOP may be saddled with an election issue that they can't overcome.

All the GOP would have to do is hold their ground until January and pass it anyway against Dem objection to seal their fate as the party of rich millionaires who don't give a damned about main street and who only care about their own estates.

In any case if the dems finally stand up and take this to the wall the GOP is cutting their own throats by supporting the tax cut extension.

You gotta wonder because even the compromise only extends the cuts two years, and by then unemployment extensions will have ended, making this topic red hot and fresh news just in time for the election in 2012.

If the economy still sucks, and it will, the GOP will own the miserable economy on the eve of the election and they will have completely surrendered any claim to fiscal responsibility or concern over the deficit.
"The Republican Party is the party of the rich. It always has been and it always will be."
Harry S. Truman

That statement is as true today as it was 60 years ago.

Yeah, right.....and, if some individual pursued a lawsuit against some corporation/bank/insurance-company (in hopes that person could "outlast" the larger-entity's bank-account)....that individual would (obviously) lose....and, you're suggesting the larger-entity would have cut-it's-own-throat?? How??

You really believe "the people" will take-to-the-streets (with their torches & pitchforks), because some mega-entity rolled-over another individual???? :eusa_eh:

You make a lot of assumptions, like....up-to-this-point, the GOP has any claim to fiscal-responsibility.

That'd certainly surprise all o' those "conservatives" who've (just recently) discovered they never really supported BUSHCO's spending. :rolleyes:

It is pretty funny to see the establishment GOP already plucking the feathers off the supposed fiscal hawks of the Tea Party.
No doubt....those fiscal-hawks who'd always assumed things were rolling-along, smoothly, because....after all....some rich White-dude was at-the-helm!

Ever since there's been a change-of-complexion, in the Oval Office....those fiscal-hawks decided it was time to keep a closer-eye on the bank-account, and they found exactly what they expected!! The Black-dude is outta-control. :rolleyes:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y04g6OPLnQ[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWMgEp4QlvQ[/ame]​

He may be the wolf in sheeps clothing.It's hard to say this early....but uhhhhh

Read it at the examinerdotcom (Phoenix Top News)

I think you've made an accurate and logical assessment which I agree 100% with. And your Trojan Horse metaphor is right on.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'd simply accepted the reports that Candidate Obama's impressive war chest was comprised of small donations from "little people." But today, when a caller to Thom Hartmann's program said he didn't believe that a light went on in my head and the answer to a few troubling questions, such as why Obama appointed Paulson, Geithner and Summers, and why he's retained the infrastructure of the Bush Administration, and why he's quietly worked to prevent prosecution of the Bush Crime Family, suddenly became clear. He is a goddam Trojan Horse inside which are the bankers, the Wall Streeters and representatives of the corporatist power structure -- the real source of all the money he supposedly raised from "small donations."

I believe he failed in his most important mission which was to enable extension of the upper income tax cuts. But thankfully the Democrats have refused to go along with his sneaky maneuver and I'm hoping that now the covers will start coming off this phony sonofabitch and we will see him for what he really is.

Obama's biggest private campaign contributor was GoldMan Sachs at almost a $million:

Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets

Which explains his selection of Geithner. I don't think you can get elected to the WH without backers in most of the most powerful lobbies. Hence the term shadow government.

But I may have been wrong about Obama's scheme, the dems are apparently poised to pass a watered down version of the tax cut compromise that is stalled awaiting the results of the Dream Act leg. in the senate.

LOL...is Obama gaming? He's not smart enough for something like that.

You lefties can try to rationalize his predicament six ways from Sunday, but all that'll do is make you feel good...temporarily at least.

The best for me came from some of the usual liberal zombie suspects on Morning Joe today. Lamenting the problems Barry boy has been having this week with fellow Dimocrats, Donnie Deutsch and others agreed much of his problems stem from - drum roll please - his inexperience! Specifically, because of the fact that the schlub came to this job without ever having run anything and thus never learned any management and leadership skills. He's just a poor babe in the woods who knows not how to survive.

I couldn't believe what they were saying. These clowns all knew how thin his resume was when he started campaigning a few years ago but bought into him anyway.

Here's an opinion piece that nails him rather well IMO From Audacity to Animosity - WSJ.com

We were talking about Obama's compromise with the GOP over the Bush tax cuts, Obama's stimulus tax cuts, unemployment extensions etc.
Revisit post #17. I was responding to the bolded, which was about the Bush Tax Cuts.

Forum List

Back