Is my coworker incompetent? Please weigh in HEALTHCARE WORKERS!

OK. Again, everyone can do what they want. Just telling you how i would approach it.

:mad:

And soooooo, I have this coworker. She has actually been in my line of work for 2 more years than I, only she has few years at the company that we work yet....MUCH FEWER than I.

My problems:

1. She doesn't seem interested in getting better at her job.

2. Part of our job includes IV infusions, that one MUST be capable of doing quickly...lest patient could potentially die. It's a big deal.

3. Her last working partner, prior to me, was terminated. Now I have worked with him (the terminated one) a few times, and while he isn't the best medic that we had....he also was not as bad as he was painted. He has actually relayed through a friend of ours for me to "watch my back", as this POS coworker of mine will do what she has to to keep her job.
4. She is constantly writing grievances about coworkers...for what is, in my mind....non-issues.

So why am I writing this? We have a book that has multiple drug calculations, so that all we have to do, is look at the mL dosage. It's idiot-proof. It's so that we don't have to do the calculations (which I've done many times) sitting behind a patient at 3 AM...with a piece of paper, or calculator.

But I had a question about a particular drug, which appeared to me to be off-limits to a pediatric patient. So my coworker, who will do whatever she can to make others look bad, to cover her incompetency (her inability to figure drips on her own) wrote an email to our operations director, who then forwarded it to our shift supervisor.

So I was called and told where to find to dosage calculation grid could be found in the notebook. This BITCH, apparently wrote this email (for an answer that SHE didn't know either) and made me look like the only one who was confused.

This is the same girl who asked how one goes about applying a traction splint on an OPEN femur fracture, during a class. For those of you in healthcare...how do I deal with this?

Keep a diary of her behaviors. Get a notebook that has pages that cannot be added or removed and record everything that is amiss. Do this religiously no matter how tired you are. There are people in the town where you live right now who can't get a job because someone did this and showed them for the idiots they are.

I mean, write down not only every mistake, stupid question, or fuck up, but also write down negative behaviors, things she says to you about the boss, the workplace, her coworkers. If she jokes on the job about drugs or alcohol write that down as well. In context or out comments like than can come back and bit you hard on the ass. (I NEVER joke about certain things on the job.) You will have her nailed in less than a month I would guess.

THANK YOU, Sunshine! That's exactly what I plan to do. She is a piece of shit, and I have a feeling that she has been doing something similar to me. It's going to be all business from this point forward. And the next time I see her stupid ass give fentanyl without taking a blood pressure first....it's going in the journal.

It's fine. Treating pain is a federal mandate; but killing them in the process is not going to look good for the svc. It was amazing. This goofy girl had no clue how to mix anti-arrhythmic infusions, and what rate to run them. She has NO business being in this level of healthcare. She is a menace to society. But the traction splint with an open femur fracture....that was what took the cake. The instructor looked at her like, "Is this a joke?".

Yes, pull traction on that open femur fracture. You need a bigger challenge. An amputation, or severing vessels would be more fun anyway. What a moron! This girl has been in EMS for nearly 20 years. HOW, did she pass school? Holy shit!

OMG! Fentanyl without checking BP! If you see something like that getting ready to happen you HAVE to stop her on the spot to save your own ass if you are involved in the call. Some things you have to intervene on immediately otherwise your license ends up on the line too.

The best way to tell if she is incontinent is to see if she wears a diaper

Incontinent? Ya, it wouldn't surprise me if she craps herself on calls. She has riding a rig on and off for about 20 years. In my line of work, we often tell "war stories". It amazes me that she has been in for so long, and has NEVER worked a gunshot.

This is so unusual, that is makes me wonder if she is really a paramedic, or she has somehow shystered a license. "There's something rotten in the State of Denmark."

Surely they checked her license before they hired her? You can check it here: Tennessee Department of Health: Licensure Verification

That doesn't mean she isn't a fraud. People practice on stolen licenses all the time. I once worked with a psychologist who didn't even know the vocabulary. I mean if you work in psych, you know the psychobabble. I just kept reporting him and the things he would write in the charts and they fired him.

I think you have to be careful about labeling someone as "incompetent'. She might not be your cup of tea but she may be doing her job adequately, or not. I really don't know.
But, in general, when working it is best to focus on what you are doing and your job. If you see her doing something truly unsafe, then you can call your supervisor and discuss it.

It's bad enough that I'm considering recording my conversations with her, so that I can remember all the goofy things that she says and does. Illegal? Probably. But if it saves my license and my reputation...I'm ready to take the chance.

WARNING

DO NOT tape record anyone unless you have checked the laws in your state. In Florida where I live, and in some other states, tape recording a person without his/her consent is a FELONY. Committing a felony can send you to prison and will most likely destroy your career and your reputation.

In Florida a few years ago, a judge approached an attorney and told him that in exchange for a sum of money he would treat his client favorably. The attorney wanted to prove the judge had asked for a bribe, so he came by the next day with the cash and tape recorded the entire transaction. The attorney turned the tape over to the State Attorney for criminal prosecution. Can you guess what happened? The tape recording couldn't be used against the judge because it was illegally obtained. Nothing happened to the judge, but the attorney who recorded his conversation was convicted and sent to jail. Don't let this happen to you!

In some states it is a felony to tape record a conversation unless ALL parties to the conversation give their consent. A few other states allow you to record conversations without permission when you are party to the conversation, but it is illegal to tape record when you are not a participant (while you're hiding in a closet, for example). The laws vary from state to state, and a state's laws change from time to time, so it is critical that you know your state's current law regarding tape recording.

PLEASE....DO NOT TAPE RECORD ANYONE UNTIL YOU HAVE VERIFIED WITH ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY THAT IT IS LEGAL TO DO SO IN YOUR STATE. I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU CONSULT AN ATTORNEY WITH EXPERIENCE IN THIS AREA.

You can check this out. When I lived in TN it was legal to tape record if one of the parties in the conversation knew the taping was going on. Example would be you and her talking. But I'd be very careful. Things could have changed. I would also be very careful about revealing anything personal about yourself to this person. I never talked about my family, my problems, or anything else someone could come along and twist around. I also have never joked about drugs, alcohol, sex with patients, or about their money. Taken out of context those things can REALLY hurt you.

Do you really want to make yourself crazy over this person? If you do, then go ahead and keep journals and record and document and make your life miserable. What you need to do is just do what you do and document your care of the patients. That's it. You need to keep some stupid journal of her and that isn't going to amount to a hill of beans anyway. Again, if she does something unsafe, then yes, report it. And, in the meantime, if you have to work together, find a way to work together as best you can. That is what i recommend doing unless you want to be in a state of agitation 24/7.

I really doubt that your personal journal or diary is going to have any validity at all. It really seems silly to me to do that.

It isn't a matter of making oneself crazy. The practice laws are written such that it is a legal obligation to report incompetent members of ones profession. It takes guts, the stress can be astronomical. But it remains a legal obligation. If one is going to do that, then having the documentation is a must. And FYI, field notes and a diary of the type described ARE admissible in a court of law. It is by no meant a 'stupid journal.' It's how it is done if you want results. If patients are mentioned, just be sure not to use the actual name of the patient as this could result in breach of confidentiality. The date and time of the call, or comment should suffice to identify the incident.

This isn't just two children who can't 'work together', it sounds as if there is actual incompetence going on, and along with that comes a legal obligation . You don't just say, 'ok children, now go play nice with one another.'

Last edited:
This lady will get what she deserves in due Time.
My friend was dealing a lady very similar, and my friend often had to do her job. Probably to protect herself this lady made a false claim against my friend. She said she abused a patient.
Well the had an investigation and no one current or past patient said anything bad about her, including the patient she was acused of abusing. The problem is, you make a false claim in our line of work you can be fined a large amount of money. I guess the lady should have just done her job.

The only evidence they need is to see that safety violations have been reported when they occur. Nobody is interested in some pissing contest between people. And if the OP is documenting stuff that is unsafe and NOT reporting it, then he/she is setting him/herself up for trouble by having a lot of stuff on file that was not reported to supervisors in a timely fashion. If it is something that needs reported, it is relevant and should be done right away. If not, keeping some secret diary of he said, she said, is a waste of time.

You are wong. Having the documentation is extremely important. Anyone who works in health care knows this. Some things most assuredly do have to be reported immediately, but there are many things like asking questions that show the person doesn't have a clue need to be written down and recorded. The more the better.

My friend was dealing a lady very similar, and my friend often had to do her job. Probably to protect herself this lady made a false claim against my friend. She said she abused a patient.
Well the had an investigation and no one current or past patient said anything bad about her, including the patient she was acused of abusing. The problem is, you make a false claim in our line of work you can be fined a large amount of money. I guess the lady should have just done her job.

I think, at least I hope, the point here is to stop her before she hurts someone.

I think, at least I hope, the point here is to stop her before she hurts someone.

It is, I am just stating people like her can be dangerous but usually they are figured out. One would hope she is found out before hurting someone, but she will be figure out.
Their supervisors also might already be paying attention. Yes she might turn everyone in, but if their supervisors have any clue, they are probably already starting to wonder why this woman is so quick to rat everyone out.

Well, I finally got in touch with the second in command. He told me that my "track record" spoke for itself. That I am very competent at my job. PHEW!!!

Gaga...it's not a matter of simply wanting to ruin this girl. It's a matter of my own reputation and career being on the line. Any mark on a healthcare provider's license is online for the WHOLE WORLD to see....indefinitely.

The more I think about it, the more I begin to realize that this woman is angry at me for having a heated discussion with her, recently. I told her that she was doing some things care-wise that made me uncomfortable. And at that time, that was as far as it went. Until today. Now second-in-command knows about her goofiness.

I hate getting anyone in trouble; but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit idly by and let her ruin my reputation. She got her last partner fired. It ain't gonna happen to me.

Well, I finally got in touch with the second in command. He told me that my "track record" spoke for itself. That I am very competent at my job. PHEW!!!

Gaga...it's not a matter of simply wanting to ruin this girl. It's a matter of my own reputation and career being on the line. Any mark on a healthcare provider's license is online for the WHOLE WORLD to see....indefinitely.

The more I think about it, the more I begin to realize that this woman is angry at me for having a heated discussion with her, recently. I told her that she was doing some things care-wise that made me uncomfortable. And at that time, that was as far as it went. Until today. Now second-in-command knows about her goofiness.

I hate getting anyone in trouble; but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit idly by and let her ruin my reputation. She got her last partner fired. It ain't gonna happen to me.

It does suck having to tell on someone, but you might save someone's life. ;)

It is, I am just stating people like her can be dangerous but usually they are figured out. One would hope she is found out before hurting someone, but she will be figure out.
Their supervisors also might already be paying attention. Yes she might turn everyone in, but if their supervisors have any clue, they are probably already starting to wonder why this woman is so quick to rat everyone out.

In TN medical professionals have a legal obligation to not sit around and wait for someone ELSE to figure it out. They have a legal obligation to ACT and get the person out. I don't know what you do, but you are not a professional in TN or you would know that.

That's good. Keep records.

In TN medical professionals have a legal obligation to not sit around and wait for someone ELSE to figure it out. They have a legal obligation to ACT and get the person out. I don't know what you do, but you are not a professional in TN or you would know that.

Where did I say she shouldn't be turned in? I said she will probably be figured out. I was responding to his comments about being worried about his job. I also never told him not tell on anyone.
I am a mandatory reporter, I understand what I am legally obligated to do.I also know you shouldn't make a claim on someone without documentation, because you in turn can get yourself in trouble. You obviously have a problem with me today... I mean what was up with your response in the other thread?

Again, my point is that you SHOULD report any and all safety violations WHEN they occur, not keep some clandestine journal to pull out later. What if someone is harmed and you pull out this journal of info that you did not report? If you are reporting it, then keep a copy of the report. What else then do you need? That is my point. You are potentially setting yourself up for a worse situation.

Again, my point is that you SHOULD report any and all safety violations WHEN they occur, not keep some clandestine journal to pull out later. What if someone is harmed and you pull out this journal of info that you did not report? If you are reporting it, then keep a copy of the report. What else then do you need? That is my point. You are potentially setting yourself up for a worse situation.

Keeping a journal is standard procedure. You need much much more than just 'a copy of the report.' Irresponsible people say irresponsible things all the time. They also do irresponsible things that do not in and of themselves individually rise to the level of requiring discipline. But a number of things together would rise to that level. This type of journaling is done in health care all the time. And those journals are admissible in an administrative disciplinary hearing or in a court of law.

Where did I say she shouldn't be turned in? I said she will probably be figured out. I was responding to his comments about being worried about his job. I also never told him not tell on anyone.
I am a mandatory reporter, I understand what I am legally obligated to do.I also know you shouldn't make a claim on someone without documentation, because you in turn can get yourself in trouble. You obviously have a problem with me today... I mean what was up with your response in the other thread?

What other thread?

Forum List

Back