Is Liberalism a Religion?

Same old shit. Conservatives blaming liberals for their own shortcomings. Righties are the ones who reject science for what they "believe".

Huh?

People who support any president while in office will always defend their position. Not sure why you think "liberals" are any different. And I use the quotation marks because many people (conservatives especially) have a tendancy to stereotype and categorize a huge range of people into one category as if they are all the same.

And the basic liberal ideal is that we should all be free to practice our own spirituality or religion and not impose it upon others. THAT was the foundation of our nation.

Then why to liberals try constantly to silence religious expression they do not subscribe to?

Just as I said, you lump all liberals together. Generalization is a logical fallacy, you know?

You act as though all liberals hate religion and want all people to be heathens and atheists. Thats a scare tactic based on fear, not logic.

A true liberal wants every person to have the right to practice what they wish, and NOT impose it on others. Sure, there are some hard-core atheists out there that go to far with the whole "no prayer in school" thing. No, there should not be classes or teachers preaching christianity in public schools as it is based on dogma, not science or facts.

If some school tries to forbid a kid from praying in the lunchroom, thats stupid. That's not ALL liberals, thats one school board, or possibly one individual. If a Christian bombs an abortion clinic, I don't say "all republicans are terrorists!"

A good liberal believes we have the right to believe what we want, as long as we harm no one and don't impose it upon others.

Huh?

People who support any president while in office will always defend their position. Not sure why you think "liberals" are any different. And I use the quotation marks because many people (conservatives especially) have a tendancy to stereotype and categorize a huge range of people into one category as if they are all the same.

And the basic liberal ideal is that we should all be free to practice our own spirituality or religion and not impose it upon others. THAT was the foundation of our nation.

Then why to liberals try constantly to silence religious expression they do not subscribe to?

Just as I said, you lump all liberals together. Generalization is a logical fallacy, you know?

You act as though all liberals hate religion and want all people to be heathens and atheists. Thats a scare tactic based on fear, not logic.

A true liberal wants every person to have the right to practice what they wish, and NOT impose it on others. Sure, there are some hard-core atheists out there that go to far with the whole "no prayer in school" thing. No, there should not be classes or teachers preaching christianity in public schools as it is based on dogma, not science or facts.

If some school tries to forbid a kid from praying in the lunchroom, thats stupid. That's not ALL liberals, thats one school board, or possibly one individual. If a Christian bombs an abortion clinic, I don't say "all republicans are terrorists!"

A good liberal believes we have the right to believe what we want, as long as we harm no one and don't impose it upon others.

If only...

It just seems that to disagree with Obama and his policies is blasphemy for Liberals/Democrats.

I wonder that liberalism has replaced religion for many Democrats...

No, because many Democrats are atheists. You see, the Democratic Party is a "coalition". It's very diverse and made up of many different people.

Now, if you were asking the same question about the Republican Party, which is 90% white, then we might have a serious discussion.

This is actually an interesting idea...

I mean, aside from the partisan nonsense about it only being "liberals.

What's the difference between political beliefs and spiritual ones? Are they similar thought processes? Why do people believe anything?

I've seen plenty of people, from both sides of the aisle, flatly denying simple facts because they went against their political ideologies.

Is political opinion "faith", or a logical decision? Are we hard-wired to look for evidence and proof, or are we hard-wired to take everything on faith?

It just seems that to disagree with Obama and his policies is blasphemy for Liberals/Democrats.

They are as devoted to Obama as the Muslims are to Allah. And they are just as intolerant to non-believers.

It's not a religion, though, it's a mental illness according to a well-known psychologist.

They are as devoted to Obama as the Muslims are to Allah. And they are just as intolerant to non-believers.

It's not a religion, though, it's a mental illness according to a well-known psychologist.

I'm pretty sure the part in bold is ridiculously inaccurate.

I like that you try to talk up the psychologist by stating that he's "well known"...making dumb statements like 'Liberalism is a mental illness' as a professional in the medical field will do that for you.

Funny, I actually thought you made at least a logical point in another thread and commended you for not using lies, dogma or ridiculous exaggerations like most of the other conservatives I've seen on this forum.

Oops. I was very wrong.

It's hard to argue against someone that makes shit up.

... Because I think that Obama's message of hope was/is very religious - in a sad way.

Think about.

Reaganomics - which included trade liberalization so business could seek cheap labor in the 3rd world - had resulted in the shipping of middle class jobs to places as diverse as China and Granada. Remember: Walmart gets everything made by ultra-cheap, oppressed Chinese labor markets. This has resulted in unprecedented profits for the investor class (who benefits from higher returns because of cheaper production costs), but it also destroyed the American middle class job base. Now, everything is made somewhere else.

Basically America traded manufacturing jobs (which made everyone wealthier) for financialization (which only made a narrow group of owners and investors wealthy).

Middle class consumption used to be driven by high wages, benefits, and government programs which stimulated demand. Reaganomics replaced that system so that capital could get ultra cheap sweat shop labor (higher returns). This is where financialization comes in... Because, dear reader, where do you think the middle class, having lost good jobs, got the money to survive and consume and sustain the domestic economy? Answer: all the extra money on top was transformed by the 'financializers' into loans for the middle class (in the form of credit cards and crazy mortgages).

Why do you think that we all started receiving 3 credit cards a week starting in the 1980s? Becaus once the jobs went away, consumption needed to financed by something besides wages.

Indeed, to make up for lost jobs, lowered benefits, and the fact that Washington let business sell the American worker down river, the wealthy had to invent a financial system that allowed people to survive and buy things without having actual money.

Check out the explosion of household debt since Reagan.

This is the structural flaw of capitalism: the drive for cheaper labor (i.e., higher returns) results in the 'firing' of your consumers, who now need to assume more and more debt to buy your stuff. Eventually any system so reliant on debt breaks down.

And this is where the fake messiah Obama comes in. He inherited a post-job middle class. He inherited a middle class consumer that had been bankrupted by 30 years of debt-financed consumption. It got so bad that the middle class had to leverage the only value they had left - their homes.

So Obama - realizing that he could not repair the total bankruptcy of the American consumer - gave them Hope.

In other words, he did what all politicians since Reagan did: give the wealthy tax breaks and the poor hope.

Once Washington got rid of American jobs (to make the rich wealthier) there was nothing left but hope.

Do you think any president will be honest ...and admit that we can't repair 30 years of shipping jobs away with credit cards or the empty rhetoric of hope?

Last edited:
It most certainly is a terminal illness.

Just look overseas for proof.

oh shut up gramps, Its no more a mental illness than a religion. Saying its a mental illness just makes you look stupid and partisan.

Now do Religion and political affiliation follow similar concepts? yes, and thats why the idea takes root as plausible. People who blindly follow something because nothing will pop their faith bubble.

Slow down. I clearly wrote terminal not mental. And it is terminal if you look at the net results of its implimentation around the globe.

Go chainsaw someone and calm down.

oh shut up gramps, Its no more a mental illness than a religion. Saying its a mental illness just makes you look stupid and partisan.

Now do Religion and political affiliation follow similar concepts? yes, and thats why the idea takes root as plausible. People who blindly follow something because nothing will pop their faith bubble.

Slow down. I clearly wrote terminal not mental. And it is terminal if you look at the net results of its implimentation around the globe.

Go chainsaw someone and calm down.

can't.....to tired...been up since 5.30 working....

Glad to hear you found some work. I hope its enough to support your family!

No, because many Democrats are atheists. You see, the Democratic Party is a "coalition". It's very diverse and made up of many different people.

Now, if you were asking the same question about the Republican Party, which is 90% white, then we might have a serious discussion.

You believe that 90% isn't diverse enough?

Republicans have much more discipline in their party than Democrats. The party comes first in their eyes and they are more apt to obey its dictates than Democrats obey their party, and it does keep out the riff-raff. For example, Republicans insist their Congressmen sign pledges to the party first rather than rely on a simple oath to the nation. As Will rogers once said, "I don't belong to any organized political party, I'm a Democrat."

Republicans have much more discipline in their party than Democrats. The party comes first in their eyes and they are more apt to obey its dictates than Democrats obey their party, and it does keep out the riff-raff. For example, Republicans insist their Congressmen sign pledges to the party first rather than rely on a simple oath to the nation. As Will rogers once said, "I don't belong to any organized political party, I'm a Democrat."

mmm. This is all fresh news to me..:eusa_whistle:

Some think Obama is the Messiah...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9t6abs7uPg]Prayer to Obama? - Idol Worship replaces God - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back