Is it possible to live on one benefit in the US?

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
I apologize for the stupid question, I am not from the USA myself. I watched the movie The Big Lebowski, where this guy was unemployed, but he rented a big apartment, had an old car, ate well, drank alcohol and went to a bowling club. Is it really possible in the United States to live like this on only social benefits, or was it meant that he still worked illegally?

I apologize for the stupid question, I am not from the USA myself. I watched the movie The Big Lebowski, where this guy was unemployed, but he rented a big apartment, had an old car, ate well, drank alcohol and went to a bowling club. Is it really possible in the United States to live like this on only social benefits, or was it meant that he still worked illegally?
You understand it was just a movie, right?

There is a reason why it's called a movie.

No, as far as I know it's not possible.

Unemployment is based on a percentage of how much you were making/paid in. So for a short period of time you could do okay if you had no debts, your house was paid for, etc on it, but that would be unusual. Same is true for social security for retired people, though you automatically at least get the companion benefit of some health insurance with it

No. Most certainly not. Especially in L.A. In L.A. a 1bed/1bath apartment, in the hood, runs about $1500/month. That's just rent, not utilities/food/petrol/booze/lane fees.

If he made $50K/yr his unemployment benefit would be about $500/wk or $2K/mnth

Actually, Jeff Bridges, the man in the film you cite, is actually independently quite wealthy. Even if his social security checks were discontinued, he could still live pretty high on the hog.

Don't underestimate the Dude. The Dude abides.

Depends on how many kids you got. We have millions that make careers out of welfare. Even pass their skills on to their children. We call it "generational welfare"
america LOVES deadweight.
And if it isn't welfare, they make their careers out of whatever other options may be out there. I used to have family members by marriage who were perfect examples of such activity.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. And yes, them skills were handed down to their next of kin.

Depends on how many kids you got. We have millions that make careers out of welfare. Even pass their skills on to their children. We call it "generational welfare"
america LOVES deadweight.
It wasn't always that way. Upwards of 35% of immigrants who came to the US returned to Europe because they couldn't make it. I remember my GGM talking about a few of her friends (I assume their family as well) permanently returning to the UK, and/or Ireland.
You had to struggle, and be tough. Now we are a mudslide of third world shit on benefits.

It wasn't always that way. Upwards of 35% of immigrants who came to the US returned to Europe because they couldn't make it. I remember my GGM talking about a few of her friends (I assume their family as well) permanently returning to the UK, and/or Ireland.
You had to struggle, and be tough. Now we are a mudslide of third world shit on benefits.
Immigrants today work very hard and are tough.

That's largely correct, and why the libs may be miscalculating.

They assume that new immigrants will be a permanent underclass reliant on the largesse of their massive governmental programs.

But they may well be sorely surprised when the new folks show they want to make their own way.

That's great. Is that why they consume welfare benefits at higher rates than natives? Cause they are sooo tough? Why don't you zip it on this topic and go start one you actually know something about...being a pissy eyed, eunuch.

black-dude-crying.gif

Watch and learn.

sad-crying.gif

Forum List

Back