Is it difficult to be atheist without also being...

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
...an arrogant, condescending bigot?

There are exceptions of course, but in my experience most atheists believe they are more intellectually enlightened than people of faith and are stronger and more secure in their being because they don't need the "crutch" of faith to help them deal with life's demands. No matter how you slice it, that's a decidedly arrogant, condescending and bigoted point of view. Is it particularly difficult to resign oneself to atheistic convictions without harboring such a disposition towards those of faith?

There are exceptions of course, but in my experience most atheists believe they are more intellectually enlightened than people of faith and are stronger and more secure in their being because they don't need the "crutch" of faith to help them deal with life's demands. No matter how you slice it, that's a decidedly arrogant, condescending and bigoted point of view. Is it particularly difficult to resign oneself to atheistic convictions without harboring such a disposition towards those of faith?

I've found the converse to be true, to be honest. I'm not an atheist, but rather a deist, but I've known quite a few atheists and with a couple of exceptions they don't look down on people who are religious. Religious people on the other hand have a heavy tendency to be self-righteous in my experience, and they look down not only on non-believers but on those who believe other faiths. Your two posts about atheists, for example, belie a certain degree of condescension or at least prejudice against atheists.

There are exceptions of course, but in my experience most superstitious people believe they are more intellectually enlightened than people of reason and are stronger and more secure in their being because they have an all-powerful, all-knowing, infallible, and unquestionable friend to help them deal with life's demands. No matter how you slice it, that's a decidedly arrogant, condescending and bigoted point of view. Is it particularly difficult to resign oneself to superstitious convictions without harboring such a disposition towards those of reason?

ENJOY! :cool:

atheist.jpg

an arrogant, condescending bigot?

Same can be said of the far right religious.

It isn't about a belief, it's about some people of faith or faithlessness being arrogant assholes.

• Banned
Why is it that everyone's immediate response is to turn the question around rather than simply answer what was asked?

Anyone who isn't a religious bigot themselves knows how bigoted the uber religious can be. But I'm not sure that many people are aware of how often the reverse is also true.

I've found the converse to be true, to be honest. I'm not an atheist, but rather a deist, but I've known quite a few atheists and with a couple of exceptions they don't look down on people who are religious. Religious people on the other hand have a heavy tendency to be self-righteous in my experience, and they look down not only on non-believers but on those who believe other faiths. Your two posts about atheists, for example, belie a certain degree of condescension or at least prejudice against atheists.

I never said, nor implied, anything about how people of faith view others. Any inference you've taken is purely of your own doing.

The real question is Is it possible to be a Christian without being an arrogant, condescending, hate-filled bigot?

The real question is Is it possible to be a Christian without being an arrogant, condescending, hate-filled bigot?

Correction, that is merely another question. No more real than the one originally asked.

But I'll kindly respond with a polite, yes, it is actually quite easy.

Case in point.

...Atheism is not a religion. It's a common belief but it's not "ghost in the sky will come save us next tuesday so can I have some prayer today" dogma...

...Being a christian, or dogma junky in general...

...You retarded little bible monkeys...

...I look forward to the day when people look back at your beliefs much in the same way we look back at greek mythology and wonder how sentient human beings could have believed that a god with a chariot pulled the sun accross the sky.

put that in your fucking myrrh smoke pot and breath deep.

Hmmm, nothing arrogant, condescending or bigoted in this little tirade. Yup, nothing at all. :eusa_whistle:

Hey, I'll admit that I enjoy returning the inquisition treatment to modern pharisee christians...

However, I represent one person: me. Which, i'm sure you'll agree with all of a sudden when I start pointing out all the plastic charlatans on TBN and how they represent every other christian much like how you would quote me and assume the same about atheists....

Please, feel free to act like I just sent you to the lions in stating the obvious. Clearly, someone is having their "victim menstruation" today.

Just curious but can you give us names, since this is how you see it.

exempt 'case in point'

I can't speak for all atheists, but I can personally say that you have it wrong on at least ONE person. I don't think I'm above people of religion at all. As a matter of fact, I've met more religious people who fit your description, than atheists. The whole I don't believe in god, so I'm somehow less of a human being thing. Holier than thou, I believe is the phrase.

Of course, that's not ALL religious people, but it goes both ways. Most of the time, it probably has nothing to do with whether your religious or atheist...It's most likely just that those people are assholes in general.

You don't push your religion on me, and I sure as hell won't push my atheism on you, and we can all live together in happiness. What's so hard about that, anyway?

Why is it that everyone's immediate response is to turn the question around rather than simply answer what was asked?

Ask a loaded question, get a loaded answer.

The other answer is yes, you can be an aetheist without the other baggage you mention just like you can be a believer etc. etc. etc.

And I am a Deist also.

Anyone who isn't a religious bigot themselves knows how bigoted the uber religious can be. But I'm not sure that many people are aware of how often the reverse is also true.

They are answering you. They don’t see such a distinction.

I can't speak for all atheists, but I can personally say that you have it wrong on at least ONE person. I don't think I'm above people of religion at all. As a matter of fact, I've met more religious people who fit your description, than atheists. The whole I don't believe in god, so I'm somehow less of a human being thing. Holier than thou, I believe is the phrase.

Of course, that's not ALL religious people, but it goes both ways. Most of the time, it probably has nothing to do with whether your religious or atheist...It's most likely just that those people are assholes in general.

You don't push your religion on me, and I sure as hell won't push my atheism on you, and we can all live together in happiness. What's so hard about that, anyway?

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

One question though: Do you consider religion a crutch?

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

One question though: Do you consider religion a crutch?

I certainly think that there are people who use it as a crutch, yes.

It's almost as if some people wouldn't otherwise have the faintest idea how to be a good human being without it.

I think for most, it existential. They would feel insignificant without a higher power and an afterlife in heaven.

I'm actually more of an agnostic than an atheist, to be honest. It's not that I believe there's NOTHING, it's just that I don't find whatever "it" is to be significant to daily life, to the point where it must be worshipped.

I hope that there will come a time when I will get to meet up with my dad again, however that happens.

Forum List

Back