Is it difficult to be atheist without also being...

I agree with you. The trouble was the way the question was asked...it was phrased in a way that implied that because manifold claims most atheists he's met are arrogant, condescending bigots, then that means most are.

It's like the old "some people say" phrase...some people say manifold is FOS.;)

If the responses following your post above are indicators, I'd have to say you nailed that one.

Wrong, and wrong again. It is no easier for religious people to be arrogant than anyone else. There are as many atheists who DO have to remind anyone who believes in God that they are gullible, stupid and believe in fairy tales as there are the opposite side of the coin.

There's little difference in this topic and politics in general. Each side attempts to represent the mainstream of the other by its extremists.

And DO research this forum. You will find more threads started by nonbelievers demandind proof that God exists than you will find anyone demanding nonbelievers prove he doesn't.

Personally, I don't care if you worship the hitchrail in front of your favorite watering hole. That's YOUR problem.

Coming from a message board where threads attacking atheists outnumbered the opposite and threads where atheists and believers found common ground also existed, I am surprised to hear that this message board is so different. I'll take your word for it that there are more threads on this board from non believers demanding proof of god than my past experience because you are a senior member.
One doesn't need religion to be arrogant but it certainly can be useful. My own experience in life is that religious people are more likely to leap to defensive mode as soon as someone reveals that they are a non believer than are non believers. I think it's hard for many believers to distinguish between attack on faith and a declaration of a personal lack of it. Non believers are used to being in the minority and often just keep their non belief to themselves. Being an outsider teaches you to use caution and modesty when revealing your lack of faith.

Coming from a message board where threads attacking atheists outnumbered the opposite and threads where atheists and believers found common ground also existed, I am surprised to hear that this message board is so different. I'll take your word for it that there are more threads on this board from non believers demanding proof of god than my past experience because you are a senior member.
One doesn't need religion to be arrogant but it certainly can be useful. My own experience in life is that religious people are more likely to leap to defensive mode as soon as someone reveals that they are a non believer than are non believers. it thinks it's haed for many believers to distinguish between attack on faith and a declaration of a personal lack of it. Non believers are used to being in the minority and often just keep their non belief to themselves. Being an outsider teaches you to use caution and modesty when revealing your lack of faith.

A matter of perspective, to be sure. Funny how we only remember the vocal minority. You kind of prove my point though. You state that at leat part of your opinion is based on coming from a message board that operated in a certain manner.

There are religious nutjobs in this world, to be sure. My point in that regard is they merely represent the vocal minority for which all religious people get judged.

In just about every encounter on this board with nonbelievers, my beliefs and behaviors are assumed, without asking, and I continually have to point out that I'm not going to defend thoughts I don't hold and/or statements I don't make.

As I said, it's perception, and I could be wrong, but ... We DO have a few members of the arrogant, condescending atheist clique on this board. The only real fire-breathing, Bible-thumping Christian I know of that's a member here hasn't been around in a long time.

You'll just have to be the judge of that yourself.

...an arrogant, condescending bigot?

There are exceptions of course, but in my experience most atheists believe they are more intellectually enlightened than people of faith and are stronger and more secure in their being because they don't need the "crutch" of faith to help them deal with life's demands. No matter how you slice it, that's a decidedly arrogant, condescending and bigoted point of view. Is it particularly difficult to resign oneself to atheistic convictions without harboring such a disposition towards those of faith?

I suppose I am not an atheist, and as a scientific, logical thinker I cannot rule anything out - though I do not believe in any God. Though I do feel giving ALL topics equal analysis and holding them all to the SAME standard of critical thought is a superior way to operate, than exempting the existence of God from that group. So, yeah - I feel superior to those that purposefully think 'less' about some subjects, not needing the same level of evidence they normally would to found a belief. Meaning, those religious people who analyze and research their faith and can back it up the same way they back up any argument have my respect.

I suppose I am not an atheist, and as a scientific, logical thinker I cannot rule anything out - though I do not believe in any God. Though I do feel giving ALL topics equal analysis and holding them all to the SAME standard of critical thought is a superior way to operate, than exempting the existence of God from that group. So, yeah - I feel superior to those that purposefully think 'less' about some subjects, not needing the same level of evidence they normally would to found a belief. Meaning, those religious people who analyze and research their faith and can back it up the same way they back up any argument have my respect.

“If you were an atheist, Birbal,” the Emperor challenged his first minister, “what would you say to the true believers of all the great religions of the world?” Birbal was a devout Brahmin from Trivikrampur, but he answered unhesitatingly, “I would say to them that in my opinion they were all atheists as well; I merely believe in one god less than each of them.” “How so?” the Emperor asked. “All true believers have good reasons for disbelieving in every god except their own,” said Birbal. “And so it is they who, between them, give me all the reasons for believing in none.”

- Salman Rushdie

I feel the need to point out that it's interesting that you capitalize "god", when you do not believe in one.

Originally Posted by jillian
I don't think he was criticizing her spelling. I think he was pointing out that she was making something a proper noun that she doesn't believe exists.

Gurdari is a she?!?!?!?!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The real question is Is it possible to be a Christian without being an arrogant, condescending, hate-filled bigot?

sure, those that are that way simply don't understand what Christianity is really about. Christianity doesn't preach arrogance, condescension or bigotry.

...an arrogant, condescending bigot?

There are exceptions of course, but in my experience most atheists believe they are more intellectually enlightened than people of faith and are stronger and more secure in their being because they don't need the "crutch" of faith to help them deal with life's demands. No matter how you slice it, that's a decidedly arrogant, condescending and bigoted point of view. Is it particularly difficult to resign oneself to atheistic convictions without harboring such a disposition towards those of faith?

No, not really, but maybe I'm an exception.

I think the same question could be asked, is it difficult to be a christian without being an arrogant, condescending bigot? There's exceptions of course, but I think anytime someone thinks their way is the only way and that they are 100% positive when it comes to theologies, then they will be an arrogant condescending bigot.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PMHB4_tSOf0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PMHB4_tSOf0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:eusa_whistle:

No, not really, but maybe I'm an exception.

I think the same question could be asked, is it difficult to be a christian without being an arrogant, condescending bigot? There's exceptions of course, but I think anytime someone thinks their way is the only way and that they are 100% positive when it comes to theologies, then they will be an arrogant condescending bigot.

As yet, no atheist has ever knocked on my door to try to convince me to read their literature or discuss my afterlife.

That's a load of shit. Everyone is entitled to believe in whatever they believe in. The "crutch" comes in when you begin blaming whatever you believe in for your downfalls in life, and using it as an excuse to harrass or attack others for their inability to believe in whatever it is YOU believe in.

Your entire statement is a load of condescending bullshit.

But, thanks for sharing.

You're welcome.

Forum List

Back