is it appropriate for obama to call the police stupid?

To the thread topic, NO, it is not appropriate. Any president should/must keep their fucking mouth shut regarding ANY pending case. Let alone calling the police stupid! Fuck!! It scares me to think this asshole, as president, even thinks that is ok!!

It is fair to say the president acted stupidly by uttering such things.

Abe Lincoln once said

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

After listening to some of prof Gates remarks, I highly recommend he listen to Abe.

I can't wait to see if the white cop is forced into going for "education." I wonder if he will be educated in white speak he can understand or in black speak which of course would be racial.

Somebody earlier said that President Obama didn't call anybody stupid. Well technically, what he said is that the police 'acted stupidly'. My quarrel with him is that he came to that conclusion after he had already admitted he wasn't familiar with the details of the circumstances involved.

So why would he automatically assume that it was the Police who 'acted stupidly' rather than Gates who 'acted stupidly'?

To the casual observor, you almost have to believe that his statement was racially motivated, and it is THAT which makes it offensive.

"This incident should not be viewed as one that demeans the character and reputation of Professor Gates or the character of the Cambridge Police Department," said Cambridge Police Department Spokeswoman Kelly Downes in a prepared joint statement by the City of Cambridge, the Cambridge Police Department and Mr. Gates.

"All parties agree that this is a just resolution to an unfortunate set of circumstances," said Downes.

At a press conference this afternoon Downes went on to say that she still believed there was "probable cause" for Gates' arrest.

"I think what went wrong personally is that you had two human beings that were reacting to a set of circumstances, and unfortunately at the time cooler heads did not prevail," said Downes.

Gates, 58, was charged with disorderly conduct after when on July 16 police responded to a call about someone apparently trying to break into his Cambridge, Mass., home.

Gates, who according to his lawyer had been trying to force open a jammed door, was inside the house when the Cambridge police officer got there.

Asked about allegations that Gates' arrest was racially fueled, Downes said, "Our position is very firmly that race did not play any factor at all in the arrest of Mr. Gates."

At the time of his arrest, Gates allegedly responded to the officer's request for identification by shouting, "Why, because I am a black man in America?" and calling him a racist.

Though Gates eventually identified himself, he was arrested after he allegedly came out of the house and continued yelling at police, even after he was warned that he "was becoming disorderly," according to the police report.
Mass. Cops Drop Charges Against Gates - ABC News

gates1_20090721130402_0_0.JPG

gates2_20090721121252_0_0.JPG

Cops are typically stupid, I've no problem with that generalization.

The guy was pissed off at the cop, the cop couldn't arrest him for being disorderly inside his own home, so asked him outside. When he went outside the cop arrested him for disorderly.

Sounds like a cop being a pig to me. Another argument for requiring a B.A. for anyone desiring to be a cop.
I don't agree with you that cops are generally stupid. Most I've come into contact with are admirable people. I wish I had the guts to do their job.

But I completely agree with you that this cop was being a pig. It irked him to be called a racist, (if that's what really happened). It probably irked him that he was being called a racist by a guy in a suit speaking English like an educated person. The cop is probably not a racist and that may be why it irked him even more.

So the cop got pissed and decided to abuse his authority and arrest Gates. Cops get called names all the time. It comes with the job. This cop fucked up. No wonder the charges were dropped.

Did you read my post, dumbass?

Did you read the story DUMB ASS? The cop was leaving and Gates kept following him harassing him as he left. he was warned to cease his harassment. Not only did he not get arrested for house breaking, the cop tried to leave AFTER doing his damn JOB.

Since when is repeatedly asking a cop for his/her badge number considered harrassment and or is grounds for an arrest? The Basss has seen reality TV videos of old and middle age white men and women verbally abusing the hell out of poilce and state patrol and never get arrested.
I have seen cops take lots of verbal abuse. Ussually for no reason. They are trained to ignore it, to not let their egos get in the way of keeping the peace. This cop might be one of the best in the world, but he fucked up big time by making that unwarranted arrest.

Did you read the story DUMB ASS? The cop was leaving and Gates kept following him harassing him as he left. he was warned to cease his harassment. Not only did he not get arrested for house breaking, the cop tried to leave AFTER doing his damn JOB.

Since when is repeatedly asking a cop for his/her badge number considered harrassment and or is grounds for an arrest? The Basss has seen reality TV videos of old and middle age white men and women verbally abusing the hell out of poilce and state patrol and never get arrested.
I have seen cops take lots of verbal abuse. Ussually for no reason. They are trained to ignore it, to not let their egos get in the way of keeping the peace. This cop might be one of the best in the world, but he fucked up big time by making that unwarranted arrest.

His supervsors did not consider the arrest 'unwarranted' or 'unjustified'. A police officer is authorized to, and in fact ordered to, arrest people who do not obey reasonable and appropriate orders from a police officer. The disorderly perpetrator is issued the order, a warning, and then he is subject to arrest.

As previously posted, "A0t a press conference this afternoon Downes went on to say that she still believed there was "probable cause" for Gates' arrest. " (Downes was the spokesperson for the Cambridge PD)

Last edited:
I'm here to tell you, white people are treated like shits by the pigs quite frequently.

White woman, who called the cops many times to arrest her abusive boyfriend, told to leave her home (owned by her sister, btw) because they refused to arrest the pig, reporting here.

yeah, blacks have it bad, no doubt. But no worse than any white woman who has an abusive husband. Cops are typically pigs.

Which is why I'm my own defense, these days.

Sorry, there is no comparison in inhumane police treatment between blacks and white women, history belies that. For the record, this white cop may not have been racist but the white woman who called the cops and said two black men was in the Bass'opinion. There is no way anyone can tell the Bass that woman didn't know Gates was already living there, perhaps she should have thought of that first.

You are a racist just for making the claim that a woman reporting a possible break in of a home cared that the two doing the break in were black. There is no evidence that was even a factor you racist dipshit. Nor is there a shred of evidence the cop was racist at all. he arrested the turd for harassment , for being disorderly in public and no Allie he did not ask the man to follow him to his car you liar.
In the photo Gates is just outside his front door. The photo seems to give evidence that Gates did not follow the cop. In any case, there was no indication that the cop was in any physical danger.
Shall we now start arresting everyone who calls a cop a bad name? Our jails would be full. Maybe The Tardo Sarge likes the idea of a police state?

Obama: Cambridge police acted 'stupidly' in Gates arrest - National Politics Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com

President Obama addressed he arrest of Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. at his Cambridge home during his news conference tonight, saying that "anyone would be angry" and "the Cambridge police acted stupidly."

Obama prefaced his reply by saying that "I might be a little biased here" because "Skip Gates" is a friend, and by acknowledging that "I don't know all the facts."

don't let that stop you, mr president.

Well if it isn't my favorite internet tool and worthless moderator.

It is doubtfull Obama did not know the facts. He stuck up for his friend. So what. You stick up for all your neo con butt buddies. And...you really don't know the facts.

FAIL Logic 101! If you don't have all the facts, you can't say the police acted 'stupidly'.

I dunno... depends on whether you think charging someone with disorderly conduct in his own home AFTER he knew the professor lived there was acting "stupidly".

I'd think all you guys would be the first ones to say no cop has the right to come into your home for no reason and you can be as rude to that cop as you want in telling him so.

just sayin'

You are a Lawyer? You sure? The guy left his home and FOLLOWED the cop to his cruiser yelling the whole way. Where upon the officer adviced him to calm down and return to his home or face disorderly conduct charges. YOU, not I are lying and misrepresenting what was said and what happened, BUT then you are the QUEEN troll here.

And the Cop was there to begin with because someone thought the house was being broken into. Instead of just showing ID and thanking the cop for doing his fucking job this guy went off like a 5 year old. I personally would be glad the neighbor called and glad the cops came so fast. But then that is just common sense, after all if someone HAD broken in this dumb ass would be whining the cops did nothing. If the house WAS being broken into and the thiefs had simply told the cops, we live here and the cops left this guy would be suing them for failure to do their job.

I want to see your degree. You have made so many IGNORANT statements on this board as to baffle the mind that any college gave you a degree in law much less that somehow you managed to pass a Bar Exam.

You haven't a clue how our Government works, you haven't a clue what the Constitution says or means and you routinely lie about legal matters that we can all check by simply reading the articles presented.

Gates was arrested in his own home. The photo proves it.

How would you feel if someone came to your home and arrested you for all the ignorant crap you spew all over this board?

His supervsors did not consider the arrest 'unwarranted' or 'unjustified'. A police officer is authorized to, and in fact ordered to, arrest people who do not obey reasonable and appropriate orders from a police officer. The disorderly perpetrator is issued the order, a warning, and then he is subject to arrest.

As previously posted, "A0t a press conference this afternoon Downes went on to say that she still believed there was "probable cause" for Gates' arrest. " (Downes was the spokesperson for the Cambridge PD)
From what I've read of the story, IMO, the officer had no justifiable reason to threaten arrest. A witness at the scene expressed the same opinion.

From what I've read of the story, IMO, the officer had no justifiable reason to threaten arrest. A witness at the scene expressed the same opinion.

From what I've read of the story, it is inconclusive exactly what happened. But given the credentials and record of the officer involved, the opinion of his supervisors, and the fact that Mr. Gates is obviously ready to accuse anybody and everybody of racism, I tend to think that the opinion of the police department that there was 'probable cause' is probably the correct situation. Could the offense have been minor enough that it could have been overlooked? Sure.

There was no mention of a 'witness statement' in the police report, so it is easy to believe that is something somebody made up after the fact.

The fact, however, that the President was ready to cry 'stupidity' and take the defendents' side against the police when he had already admitted he didn't know the facts says volumes. Especially when that comment was followed by a lecture of racism in our society.

Last edited:
Well if it isn't my favorite internet tool and worthless moderator.

It is doubtfull Obama did not know the facts. He stuck up for his friend. So what. You stick up for all your neo con butt buddies. And...you really don't know the facts.

I think Obama should have remained neutral, being the president. But since I agree with him that the police acted stupidly, I'm not much bothered by what he said. He also went on to discuss the greater issue of racism and that we still need to be aware of it.
I think this incident is interesting because this one shows not only that police can be racially biased but that also maybe they get sick of being called racists when they aren't.

I dunno... depends on whether you think charging someone with disorderly conduct in his own home AFTER he knew the professor lived there was acting "stupidly".

I'd think all you guys would be the first ones to say no cop has the right to come into your home for no reason and you can be as rude to that cop as you want in telling him so.

just sayin'

You are a Lawyer? You sure? The guy left his home and FOLLOWED the cop to his cruiser yelling the whole way. Where upon the officer adviced him to calm down and return to his home or face disorderly conduct charges. YOU, not I are lying and misrepresenting what was said and what happened, BUT then you are the QUEEN troll here.

And the Cop was there to begin with because someone thought the house was being broken into. Instead of just showing ID and thanking the cop for doing his fucking job this guy went off like a 5 year old. I personally would be glad the neighbor called and glad the cops came so fast. But then that is just common sense, after all if someone HAD broken in this dumb ass would be whining the cops did nothing. If the house WAS being broken into and the thiefs had simply told the cops, we live here and the cops left this guy would be suing them for failure to do their job.

I want to see your degree. You have made so many IGNORANT statements on this board as to baffle the mind that any college gave you a degree in law much less that somehow you managed to pass a Bar Exam.

You haven't a clue how our Government works, you haven't a clue what the Constitution says or means and you routinely lie about legal matters that we can all check by simply reading the articles presented.

Gates was arrested in his own home. The photo proves it.

How would you feel if someone came to your home and arrested you for all the ignorant crap you spew all over this board?

The photo proves gates was outside his home, not in his home.

From what I've read of the story, it is inconclusive exactly what happened. But given the credentials and record of the officer involved, the opinion of his supervisors, and the fact that Mr. Gates is obviously ready to accuse anybody and everybody of racism, I tend to think that the opinion of the police department that there was 'probable cause' is probably the correct situation. Could the offense have been minor enough that it could have been overlooked? Sure.

There was no mention of a 'witness' in the police report, so I have to believe that is something somebody made up after the fact.

The fact, however, that the President was ready to cry 'stupidity' and take the defendents' side against the police when he had already admitted he didn't know the facts says volumes. Especially when that comment was followed by a lecture of racism in our society.
Huh? Where did you get that "fact"? Are you in any way familiar with his work?

The police report does indicate that there were witnesses. (One is quoted in the article del linked to above.) In fact, the whole incident would not have happened had there not been a witness who thought a crime was in progress.

The photo proves gates was outside his home, not in his home.
The photo shows him already cuffed a foot or so away from his door and not anywhere near the police officer's car. He was arrested on bogus charges to satisfy the bruised ego of a cop.

Last edited:
You don't think cops ever make things up?
Could the fact that most of us are believing the cop's version over Gate's version not indicate a little bias of our own?

No. Not when the officer's version is consistent with that of eleven eye witnesses.
Are there really 11 eye witnesses?

I believe that Gates probably did call the cop a racist because it fits in with my theory that the cop lost it when he was called racist when in fact he showed no indication of being a racist.

I also think Gates was likely to have called him racist out of anger because of the following stereotypes I hold :

1) People getting off 20 hour flights are cranky.

2) Middle aged men recently divorced are often very cranky.

3) Black people sometimes see racism where it does not exist.

4) Famous people sometimes think they deserve to be kow towed to.

If my stereotypes are true concerning Gates that's makes him an ass but no danger to society. His arrest was a waste of tax payer money.

Last edited:
The police didn't act stupidly... they acted like policeman... thugs with badges...

Forum List

Back