Is homeschooling a good solution?

I was gonna say, as a one-time aspiring engineering student in college, I remember the math requirements being fairly stringent. Not sure how'd one get their by age what, 13?
It's stuff like Snap, Javascript, some kind of really basic CAD type system but it imparts the basics and creates the passion.
Last I heard, computer science was considered an engineering discipline. It's not doing circuit analysis or stress analysis though (obviously).

You heard wrong. Computer science is an entirely separate department.

That's odd. While i was a computer science major in college all of my classes were part of the School of Engineering.

Man. you never cease to amaze me at the stuff you don't know!

Like I said, you chose to teach over a more difficult profession in computer programming which would pay you two to three times, at least, what you whine about today.

"More difficult"?

.... a major in the easiest school in any university, education? .....

Really? How exactly do you know that?

They have the lowest entry requirements and their required courses not exactly the most difficult.

So, you have completed an education degree and one in another major as well?

Of course not. I have a degree in marine biology and a minor in math from the U of M. I never used either.

Is Donald Trump right about what Gov. Scott Walker did to Wisconsin schools?

Wisconsin is falling in terms of student to teacher ratios as the article above points out. That's due to budget cuts and teacher shortages.

And many of those budget shortcomings are due to teachers unions EVERY time a schools receives $5 in new funding there are the teachers right there, wanting $4 of that applied to teachers' salaries.

Really? What "new funding"?

We had a 1% raise for the first time in a decade last year. This year we got 2%. We have not had any new textbooks since 2011. My laptop is a dinosaur.

Remind me again how good we have it?

Simple, go into another line of work. My experience has been that teachers do well in real estate. Easily you could earn two to three times what you make today after a couple of years. Of course, you are working on commission so you have to produce or "die" so to speak. Most aren't willing to do what is necessary to be successful and most cannot handle the uncertainty and erratic income, but the rewards are great!

Some people don't want to live their life like that, worrying about whether their money is going to come or not.

Generally those who like working on commission see that they can earn more and more and more, but it's a life style choice.

I prefer the rewards of relaxing in my free time, and enjoying my free time, to having loads of money.

People who work on commission must have an immense amount of self-confidence that they are better than 95% of their competition. Few REALLY believe they are that good. I have been a Realtor in Florida for over 40 years and am mostly retired. Lots of hours but I LOVE what I do. I also got to pick and choose my days off, my vacation time and, many times, was able to combine work and pleasure. In my opinion, I had the best of both worlds. Exciting, stimulating work every day and my choice of leisure time and great vacations. But, you're right, I was eager to take that chance and not allow anyone else to decide what I am worth.

So, being a realtor is "more difficult"?

And many of those budget shortcomings are due to teachers unions EVERY time a schools receives $5 in new funding there are the teachers right there, wanting $4 of that applied to teachers' salaries.

We had a 1% raise for the first time in a decade last year. This year we got 2%. We have not had any new textbooks since 2011. My laptop is a dinosaur.

Simple, go into another line of work. My experience has been that teachers do well in real estate. Easily you could earn two to three times what you make today after a couple of years. Of course, you are working on commission so you have to produce or "die" so to speak. Most aren't willing to do what is necessary to be successful and most cannot handle the uncertainty and erratic income, but the rewards are great!

Some people don't want to live their life like that, worrying about whether their money is going to come or not.

Generally those who like working on commission see that they can earn more and more and more, but it's a life style choice.

I prefer the rewards of relaxing in my free time, and enjoying my free time, to having loads of money.

People who work on commission must have an immense amount of self-confidence that they are better than 95% of their competition. Few REALLY believe they are that good. I have been a Realtor in Florida for over 40 years and am mostly retired. Lots of hours but I LOVE what I do. I also got to pick and choose my days off, my vacation time and, many times, was able to combine work and pleasure. In my opinion, I had the best of both worlds. Exciting, stimulating work every day and my choice of leisure time and great vacations. But, you're right, I was eager to take that chance and not allow anyone else to decide what I am worth.

And I did a sales job for two weeks and quit. I wasn't interested in lying to people, or withholding information, or being sneaky in order to make money, so I quit.

I'm just not that type of person, it wouldn't have made me happy at all.

People are different.

I have no idea what you were selling.

I never lied to anyone, withheld and information or was sneaky in any way. I also never encountered any of that except on a few, very rare occasions.

It's stuff like Snap, Javascript, some kind of really basic CAD type system but it imparts the basics and creates the passion.
Last I heard, computer science was considered an engineering discipline. It's not doing circuit analysis or stress analysis though (obviously).

That's odd. While i was a computer science major in college all of my classes were part of the School of Engineering.

Like I said, you chose to teach over a more difficult profession in computer programming which would pay you two to three times, at least, what you whine about today.

"More difficult"?
A failed school system is one that graduates students who are illiterate. How about that definition?

Which ones would that be? The high school where I teach graduates about 95%of our students. None are illiterate.

Many states require competency tests to demonstrate what they have learned. How do you explain those people?

How do you explain inner city schools that fail 60% of their students? Why shouldn't parents of children in these schools have the option of sending their kids elsewhere? The don't have the option of moving to some tony suburb where the real estate prices are in the stratosphere.

Would you please explain that nonsensical gibberish? How do they "fail" the students? Students fail, Schools do not.

Sure they do. In Florida they even give the schools grades. If a school gets an 'F,' all the students become eligible for a voucher.

When a school fails 60% of its students, it's a failure.

You are talking out of your ass again. Those" failing schools" are devised from a complicated formula that has nothing to do with student academic grades. I was a high school administrator in Florida.

BTW, the voucher system ended about a decade ago. It was declared unconstitutional. Please get with the program or stop posting bull shit.

The voucher system is extremely successful which is why you fear the system of allowing even low-income families to have their choice of schools. Why?

"More difficult"?
Which ones would that be? The high school where I teach graduates about 95%of our students. None are illiterate.

Many states require competency tests to demonstrate what they have learned. How do you explain those people?

How do you explain inner city schools that fail 60% of their students? Why shouldn't parents of children in these schools have the option of sending their kids elsewhere? The don't have the option of moving to some tony suburb where the real estate prices are in the stratosphere.

Would you please explain that nonsensical gibberish? How do they "fail" the students? Students fail, Schools do not.

Sure they do. In Florida they even give the schools grades. If a school gets an 'F,' all the students become eligible for a voucher.

You are talking out of your ass again. Those" failing schools" are devised from a complicated formula that has nothing to do with student academic grades. I was a high school administrator in Florida.

BTW, the voucher system ended about a decade ago. It was declared unconstitutional. Please get with the program or stop posting bull shit.

The voucher system is extremely successful which is why you fear the system of allowing even low-income families to have their choice of schools. Why?

"fear"?

???

That's a generalization. There are some good public schools.

Actually it's not the schools that are better, it's the parents that are better. In upscale neighborhoods the parents are educated professionals who are motivated for their children to learn. Most of what children learn is taught by their parents. Schools simply put a rubber stamp on it.

I have yet to meet many parents that can handle high school algebra!
In most cases - that's true. But you do realize that a homeschooled student receives materials that shows step-by-step how to teach the assignments. If and when that is not enough, parents can simply turn to the internet for further information, lessons, etc. If that's still not enough - parents can and do hire tutors.

You do realize that is the technology age, don't you? We are way beyond the brick and mortar school churning out cookie cutter curriculum by unionized teachers taking the tax payer for all they are worth. I'm sorry that you feel so threatened by all of this but the reality is, we are still at least a decade away (if not two or three) from learning shifting to a new paradigm (most likely online). So relax. Take a breath.

You are talking to an establishment propagandist, the truth is not of interest to them. Many states now have home schooling that uses the home and uses others being home schooled to pull resources, use educators and teach people how to teach.

Once again for possible penetration of some thick craniums, i do not think home schooling should be eliminated, but in my experience, the harm is in there being no supervision of the educational process. My biggest beef on this thread is people advocating for homeschooling by bashing public school teachers.

As you know, our government school system is a failure, Due in large part to the control over schools and teachers by teachers unions.

If your allegation about homeschooling were true, then how is it that students who are homeschooled outperform students from government schools?
Again, I do not bash teachers, I bash the unions and the system.

"More difficult"?

"fear"?

???

Indeed. Imagine if low and middle-income families were able to choose the school they want as just more wealthy families do every day. Government schools would either be forced to step up, or close the underachieving schools.

"More difficult"?

"fear"?

???

Indeed. Imagine if low and middle-income families were able to choose the school they want as just more wealthy families do every day. Government schools would either be forced to step up, or close the underachieving schools.

And?

.... a major in the easiest school in any university, education? .....

Really? How exactly do you know that?

They have the lowest entry requirements and their required courses not exactly the most difficult.

So, you have completed an education degree and one in another major as well?

Of course not. ......

Then how do you know?

Well?

So, being a realtor is "more difficult"?

Really?

That's a generalization. There are some good public schools.

Actually it's not the schools that are better, it's the parents that are better. In upscale neighborhoods the parents are educated professionals who are motivated for their children to learn. Most of what children learn is taught by their parents. Schools simply put a rubber stamp on it.

I have yet to meet many parents that can handle high school algebra!
In most cases - that's true. But you do realize that a homeschooled student receives materials that shows step-by-step how to teach the assignments. If and when that is not enough, parents can simply turn to the internet for further information, lessons, etc. If that's still not enough - parents can and do hire tutors.

You do realize that is the technology age, don't you? We are way beyond the brick and mortar school churning out cookie cutter curriculum by unionized teachers taking the tax payer for all they are worth. I'm sorry that you feel so threatened by all of this but the reality is, we are still at least a decade away (if not two or three) from learning shifting to a new paradigm (most likely online). So relax. Take a breath.

I have no problem with people who do that. My problem is with those who don't!

I have a student whose father is an instructor in a diesel mechanics class at our community college. Mm has a college degree. Neither one can help their child learn because they "don't get it" and their son does not pay attention in class. What if they decided to pull him out and homeschool him? Do you think he would learn it if they cannot even help him now?

Perhaps its' the teachers in the school that "don't get it." What evidence do you have that the parents are at fault?

Of course, the parents bear the major part of the blame. Simply look at the difference in the makeup of the family of 50 years ago and today.

I don't believe liberal parents should be forced to make their children attend conservative public schools in red states and vice versa.

Having lived in 8 States literally from coast to coast, I can tell you that all government schools are liberal

Not the school where I teach.

OK, all the schools but one are liberal

LOL_zpsrc5py0ql.gif

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Having guaranteed schooling for all our kids is one of America's best accomplishments.

Our schools are some of the best in the world . Don't believe the hype that are system failed .
Schooling isn't "guaranteed" if you have a 60% failure rate. Also, the ones who supposedly pass can't even read.

60% failures ? Where is your district !??

Our country's school rankings jump into the top ten if u cut out the scores of the education hating red states .

Cute try. As you know, states don't run the school system. They are locally run. Now please share with us the list of say the top ten worst school districts in the country.

Go for it!

Having guaranteed schooling for all our kids is one of America's best accomplishments.

Our schools are some of the best in the world . Don't believe the hype that are system failed .

We are middle of the pack and the highest cost per student. This has been a fact for a long time. It isn't all the fault of the teachers or is it all the fault of the parents, administrators, society a all play the role in the failure.

Then you must be in the Washington, DC school district. They have the highest cost per student in the nation and they have the worst results.

If you want to attract the best and brightest to teach then the pay is going have to double to come somewhat close to what they can make doing other things. Get rid of unions that's fine. Then raise teacher pay EXPONENTIALLY to keep the best ones.

The problem is not being able to hire and keep quality teachers so the pay is not the problem.

The problem is the Unions and parents are not able to choose the school they want for their child. That will force government schools to step up or shut down the worst-performing. For the low and middle-income workers, they should be given vouchers out of the budget for government schools insofar as they will not be in attendance.

Goodbye you poor excuse for a rectum.

If you develop the ability to read and retain information let me know. You just said Judicial review is in the Constitution in a discussion where you said schools teach the Constitution accurately. I even told you it's not in the Constitution and gave you the actual source of judicial review, which was Marbury v. Madison. You just blew it off like you do everything else and repeated your ignorance

That's why he said goodbye to you, he can't refute what you post, so he dismisses you like he would a smart student in his class.

I don't dismiss students, Mr. Know-it-all. I love how you seem to to know everything about me. Have you been peeking in my windows at night?

It's how you handle situations here, seems that it would follow that you would do the same with those lowly students.

None of my students can compare to the ignorance shown by some posters on this thread.

Socratestoo.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Is Donald Trump right about what Gov. Scott Walker did to Wisconsin schools?

Wisconsin is falling in terms of student to teacher ratios as the article above points out. That's due to budget cuts and teacher shortages.

Of course. I've seen successful sales people do their stuff. But it's not for everyone and a successful sales person might not be good in education and a good educator might not be good in sales, they require different skills and attributes.

That isn't what I said. I was talking about a better solution than judicial review where the Federal Government decides what Federal laws are Constitutional. Hmm...can I do that? I don't know, let me ask me ... I hope you read your students' essays better than that

So you just want to throw the Constitution out? Typical airhead solution to a problem above your ability to reason.

Having States be the check and balance for the Constitution rather than the Supreme court is to "throw the Constitution out."

:wtf:

What?

Yes, because that is what the Constitution provides.

:lmao:

First of all, even if that were true,the Constitution can be changed, they are called Constitutional Amendments. It's happened before. Wanting to change the Constitution isn't wanting to throw it out. Do you say the same of other Constitutional amendments? The proposers wanted to throw out the Constitution? LMAO

And wow, you just lost this discussion. It's NOT in the Constitution. The Supreme Court gave itself judicial review. Google Marbury v. Madison. Wow, you just proved teachers don't teach what the Constitution says, LOL.

Dude, seriously

Read back through the posts. Is you brain overloaded so much that you don't realize that you just agreed with my post about changing the Constitution?

Liberalism is a mental defect as well as uber-conservative conspiracy wackos like you appear to be. I am done conversing with a brick wall.

I missed that post. Among the dozens. What change do believe should be made to the constitution which would radically improve the school system?

Forum List

Back