Is Harley Davidson cutting it's own throat?

I see no shortage here of younger HD riders but this is a big Harley town, doesn't mean I don't see just as many sport bikes nor does it mean that HDs are more prevalent everywhere else in the state. We had two Harley dealerships but one shut it's doors permanently a couple of years back.

We have plenty of sport bike riders here, as well. We have a huge dealer down in Ormond Beach, Bruce Rossmeyer's Destination Daytona, that does a brisk business year round, not only during the rallies.

Bruce-Rossmeyer-s-Destination-Daytona_084d33f9-a904-7c4b-6dedce69cbadbc99.jpg

There could be any number of reasons why a dealership closes. Unfortunately, the ability to operate a successful business depends on a lot more than just having a good product line...

But as I said in the OP (which I bet you didn't read) is;

What an odd thing to say. Why would you think I didn't read it?

I see no shortage of younger people riding Harleys these days.

Harley tried scaling things back when they made the V-Rod, and it didn't quite pan out as they thought. It was targeted towards younger riders, and it also did a fair job of winning over riders; even older ones, of other brands.

harley-davidson-v-rod.jpg

Unfortunately for Harley, the V-Rod simply isn't what anyone thinks of when they think "Harley Davidson". The bike sold very well outside of the United States, but it never really caught on here. The last time I went to Sturgis (going again this year, too) I think I saw a total of, maybe, a dozen V-Rods.

I see more people moving from other brands to Harley Davidson than I see people moving from Harley Davidson to other brands...
I do like the looks of the V Rod.
Only Harley that is liquid cooled I believe.

We have plenty of sport bike riders here, as well. We have a huge dealer down in Ormond Beach, Bruce Rossmeyer's Destination Daytona, that does a brisk business year round, not only during the rallies.

Bruce-Rossmeyer-s-Destination-Daytona_084d33f9-a904-7c4b-6dedce69cbadbc99.jpg

There could be any number of reasons why a dealership closes. Unfortunately, the ability to operate a successful business depends on a lot more than just having a good product line...

Oh I agree with you on operating a business but this one for a year before they closed their doors hardly ever had customers. I drove by it on almost a daily basis And no one was there except the sales people, all two of them.
Just your initial response appeared to look like you didn't read it. No big deal, my bad.

Dependability, cost.

I don't buy image, I buy quality.

I've owned several Harleys, and currently have five (two are show bikes and don't get ridden) right next to the Gold Wing.

Are Harleys expensive? If you buy them new, sure. The base MSRP on a Street Glide is $22,000, but I bought my 2015 Street Glide, with only 4,800 miles on it, for $11,000 two years ago. Now, I know some people who would never buy a pre-owned bike. I have no problem with doing that and have never had any dependability issues with any Harley I've ever owned...

I do like the looks of the V Rod.
Only Harley that is liquid cooled I believe.

Yup, that's true.

I was never a V-Rod fan. A buddy of mine had one and, after it got stolen on his way to Sturgis several years ago (along with his brand new Dodge Ram pickup, his trailer and his belongings) he bought an Ultra Classic...

H-D's aren't the fastest, don't stop as quickly, not the best handling on switchback roads, and still vibrate like a paint mixing machine.
But their exhaust note is a visceral symphony of excellence.
Plus their Coolness factor is off the charts!! ... :thup:

I've owned several Harleys, and currently have five (two are show bikes and don't get ridden) right next to the Gold Wing.

Are Harleys expensive? If you buy them new, sure. The base MSRP on a Street Glide is $22,000, but I bought my 2015 Street Glide, with only 4,800 miles on it, for $11,000 two years ago. Now, I know some people who would never buy a pre-owned bike. I have no problem with doing that and have never had any dependability issues with any Harley I've ever owned...
That's cool.

If it makes you happy that's all that matters.

Not my thing.

If it were...I would go straight to Honda.

I love their cars.

H-D's aren't the fastest, don't stop as quickly, not the best handling on switchback roads, and still vibrate like a paint mixing machine.

They're fast enough. How often do you need to ride over 120 mph?

I've never had a problem with the handling of a Harley, and I've ridden the Tail of the Dragon many times. That's where the handling of a bike is put to the test...

Only throat cutting would be if they bought into EV madness and made 45% of Production Bikes/ Trikes Electric by 24

Loud pipes save lives!!!

You know when one is in your blind spot.

Yeah....
I don't see the congruencey of an all electric Harley scooter....

But then I like the roof of my truck anyway.

Personally, I'm not into loud pipes.
They are fatiguing and give me a headache after an hour.
In my teens and 20's the louder the better.
Now I just like them muffled within reason.
The ones on my V Star 950 are Vance and Hines and they are loud but with my helmet on it's not overwhelming.

I have always like the 883 sporters.
They are relatively smaller, and they look great.
They used to make a 750 sportster.

harleydavidsonsportster2020ghhgftg.jpg

Forum List

Back