Is Harley Davidson cutting it's own throat?

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
It would appear that HD is clueless concerning the modern demographics and have doubled down on production of large cruisers, big touring bikes and trikes. All of that with their primary base customers dwindling every day. No to mention that HD is bleeding money despite what their stock shows.
The big bike demographic changed with the Millennials who typically wanted smaller, less expensive bikes and has continued, most new riders aren't interested in paying exorbitant prices for these huge "Boomer" bikes. HD's attempts at drawing in new riders fell flat and all those smaller entry level bikes have been discontinued.
Would I like to see HD fail? Of course not and who knows, maybe they'll make a comeback but I personally don't think so not unless they radically change their product line.

Here's some food for thought, they may be right they may be wrong, only time will tell.

I see no shortage of younger people riding Harleys these days.

Harley tried scaling things back when they made the V-Rod, and it didn't quite pan out as they thought. It was targeted towards younger riders, and it also did a fair job of winning over riders; even older ones, of other brands.

harley-davidson-v-rod.jpg

Unfortunately for Harley, the V-Rod simply isn't what anyone thinks of when they think "Harley Davidson". The bike sold very well outside of the United States, but it never really caught on here. The last time I went to Sturgis (going again this year, too) I think I saw a total of, maybe, a dozen V-Rods.

I see more people moving from other brands to Harley Davidson than I see people moving from Harley Davidson to other brands...

I see no shortage of younger people riding Harleys these days.

Harley tried scaling things back when they made the V-Rod, and it didn't quite pan out as they thought. It was targeted towards younger riders, and it also did a fair job of winning over riders; even older ones, of other brands.

harley-davidson-v-rod.jpg

Unfortunately for Harley, the V-Rod simply isn't what anyone thinks of when they think "Harley Davidson". The bike sold very well outside of the United States, but it never really caught on here. The last time I went to Sturgis (going again this year, too) I think I saw a total of, maybe, a dozen V-Rods.

I see more people moving from other brands to Harley Davidson than I see people moving from Harley Davidson to other brands...
I see no shortage here of younger HD riders but this is a big Harley town, doesn't mean I don't see just as many sport bikes nor does it mean that HDs are more prevalent everywhere else in the state. We had two Harley dealerships but one shut it's doors permanently a couple of years back. But as I said in the OP (which I bet you didn't read) is; I don't want them to go away and that we honestly have no idea what the future markets will be so all of this speculation could be wrong. Me? I'm basing it on what's currently happening with the motorcycle market today and HD's market share is dropping and their new focus could be a huge bust. Only time will tell.

I'm sure millennials today want smaller cheaper motorcycles because it fits their lifestyle and meager bank account.
But I'd venture to say as they get older and more financially secure. The nostalgia factor of the H-D big bike allure will kick in and sales will greatly increase.

Lol, that is because ya don't know their secret.
Maybe.

I care about measurables, maintenance costs, spare part costs, dependability.

My opinion is skewed toward the negative though.

When I was growing up, HD was associated with dirtbags.

They were loud, undependable, greasy, and obnoxious, like the people who rode them.

I'm sure millennials today want smaller cheaper motorcycles because it fits their lifestyle and meager bank account.
But I'd venture to say as they get older and more financially secure. The nostalgia factor of the H-D big bike allure will kick in and sales will greatly increase.
When I was young I wanted to go 150 in a hurry so ya mainly rode a crotch rocket. Now older and prefer a touring bike.. Always liked a grandpa car. Loved those lesabra back in the day. Really good car for over the road sales. Yep things change. My motorcycle gets more miles than the car. Now need half ton truck for pulling boats and jeep for hunting. Of course knowing what I know now never would have done the office or sales thing. Would have went straight into fishing charters and hunt guide. Not gunna get rich doing either but neither feels like work.

It would appear that HD is clueless concerning the modern demographics and have doubled down on production of large cruisers, big touring bikes and trikes. All of that with their primary base customers dwindling every day. No to mention that HD is bleeding money despite what their stock shows.
The big bike demographic changed with the Millennials who typically wanted smaller, less expensive bikes and has continued, most new riders aren't interested in paying exorbitant prices for these huge "Boomer" bikes. HD's attempts at drawing in new riders fell flat and all those smaller entry level bikes have been discontinued.
Would I like to see HD fail? Of course not and who knows, maybe they'll make a comeback but I personally don't think so not unless they radically change their product line.

Here's some food for thought, they may be right they may be wrong, only time will tell.

This isn't meant to be a political opinion... just an honest one.
Today's young males are not like young males of any generation before.
And I am not talking about millennials... I am talking about GenZ. Where 1 in 5 identify as gay or bisexual/and or gender fluid. GenZ's are now reaching 25 years old. Prime "1st wave" motorcycle buying.
They are living at home still, with the highest recorded 20 somethings still living at home in history.
They are not enterprising.
They live their lives through a 3" x 5" screen. And almost everything they care about is on that screen. And the TV screen where they play video games.
Are there still "manly" teens and 20 somethings? Of course there are. How many of them have the $$ to buy a motorcycle?
And how many more "powder puff" femboys are there than them?

HD's are known for a "man's man" motorcycle. Loud... Big and in your face.
Those days for emerging males are fading fast

Maybe.

I care about measurables, maintenance costs, spare part costs, dependability.

My opinion is skewed toward the negative though.

When I was growing up, HD was associated with dirtbags.

They were loud, undependable, greasy, and obnoxious, like the people who rode them.
Ya, now dentist's and doctors ride them. I buy one and fix it over the winter. Ride it over the summer sell in September. Rinse and repeat. Not sure what I like best fixing and selling or riding. They are really easy to sell. Always a free summer ride and always turn a profit.

I can't afford a Harley. Nor can I afford the extra 5 grand required for the proper Harley clothing and leather to ride one and fit in.
I had to be happy with a used Honda Nighthawk I rode for twenty years before it finally gave out. Cost, 900 bucks when I bought it.

Ya, now dentist's and doctors ride them. I buy one and fix it over the winter. Ride it over the summer sell in September. Rinse and repeat. Not sure what I like best fixing and selling or riding. They are really easy to sell. Always a free summer ride and always turn a profit.
Yeah, that's cool man.

Like I said, not a bike guy.

If you love your bike that is all that matters.

That's a good possibility. Right now, other than sport bikes the ones people are buying are the cafe racers and smaller bobbers. The Harley fans are picking up the Iron 883 and Forty Eights but the big seller is the Yamaha Bolt series, it's cheaper and actually a better all around bike doing a side by side comparison. It's lighter, more powerful and offers a much better ride especially at highway speeds.

Forum List

Back