Is God gender fluid?

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
I’m a rabbi, and so I’m particularly saddened whenever religious arguments are brought in to defend social prejudices — as they often are in the discussion about transgender rights. In fact, the Hebrew Bible, when read in its original language, offers a highly elastic view of gender. And I do mean highly elastic: In Genesis 3:12, Eve is referred to as “he.” In Genesis 9:21, after the flood, Noah repairs to “her” tent. Genesis 24:16 refers to Rebecca as a “young man.” And Genesis 1:27 refers to Adam as “them.”

Opinion | Is God Transgender?

Is God transgender? and
I am a transsexual Orthodox Jew. And I won’t apologize for it

I found two articles on it, and it appears its not quite so, but who cares. People are people, but there is male and female in all of us, and even some are born intersex, they say 1 in 2000. So that is a lot of people. Too think that God is a male and sometimes a female, that seems quite right in my honest opinion. Yet God is male, why because men wrote the OT, NT, and Quran.

God is an invention of men, as are all the scriptures, so we can only expect some uncertainty about God's actual characteristics.
And, of course you're only talking about your 'God'.
Hindu Gods are very interesting,perhaps a result of cultural traditions including smoking ganja.
But then, looking at animals like the 'platypus', I suspect Yahweh did a bit of that shit himself, when he was in the 'Let there be...' phase.

`
It has been said that God has no gender. As I have have yet to witness anyone who can see into the mind of God (metaphorically speaking) whose to say what it thinks?

• Banned
God is an invention of men, as are all the scriptures, so we can only expect some uncertainty about God's actual characteristics.
And, of course you're only talking about your 'God'.
Hindu Gods are very interesting,perhaps a result of cultural traditions including smoking ganja.
But then, looking at animals like the 'platypus', I suspect Yahweh did a bit of that shit himself, when he was in the 'Let there be...' phase.

The platypus.

What was He thinking? :cranky:

Any topic where group rights are debated, whether it be a theological dicussion or not, my contention is that there no are such things as group rights. There are only Individual rights.

End of the day, a trangender person is an Individual.

Last edited:
Are questions that cannot be answered more important than answers that have no question?

Female Bishops Tell Church to Stop Referring to God as ‘He’

Sistine-Chapel-Creation-of-Adam-640x480.png

At last! Common sense. Only a female God could’ve created such a bunch of totally insane creatures as Humans.

After a YouGov poll found that half of young Christians see God — referred to in the Bible as ‘father’, including in Jesus Christ’s ‘Lord’s Prayer’ — as male, the first female bishop Rt Revd Rachel Treweek, bishop of Gloucester, said that she was concerned that the Church was not being “mindful of language”.

I don’t want young girls or young boys to hear us constantly refer to God as he,” she said, according to The Telegraph.

Adding that she was worried that patriarchal language might put off non-Christians, she added: “For me particularly in a bigger context, in all things, whether it’s that you go to a website and you see pictures of all white people, or whether you go to a website and see the use of ‘he’ when we could use ‘God’, all of those things are giving subconscious messages to people, so I am very hot about saying can we always look at what we are communicating.”

See? Only women could come up with stuff like this!

More @ Female Bishops Tell Church to Stop Referring to God as 'He'

I’m a rabbi, and so I’m particularly saddened whenever religious arguments are brought in to defend social prejudices — as they often are in the discussion about transgender rights. In fact, the Hebrew Bible, when read in its original language, offers a highly elastic view of gender. And I do mean highly elastic: In Genesis 3:12, Eve is referred to as “he.” In Genesis 9:21, after the flood, Noah repairs to “her” tent. Genesis 24:16 refers to Rebecca as a “young man.” And Genesis 1:27 refers to Adam as “them.”

Opinion | Is God Transgender?

Not one of the cited Bible passages says, in an common English translation, what the author of that piece claims that it says. Not one.

Forum List

Back