Is God gender fluid?

I’m a rabbi, and so I’m particularly saddened whenever religious arguments are brought in to defend social prejudices — as they often are in the discussion about transgender rights. In fact, the Hebrew Bible, when read in its original language, offers a highly elastic view of gender. And I do mean highly elastic: In Genesis 3:12, Eve is referred to as “he.” In Genesis 9:21, after the flood, Noah repairs to “her” tent. Genesis 24:16 refers to Rebecca as a “young man.” And Genesis 1:27 refers to Adam as “them.”

Opinion | Is God Transgender?

Not one of the cited Bible passages says, in an common English translation, what the author of that piece claims that it says. Not one.

Well; it gives us something to talk about.

The Greek is likely the best we have. The Jewish Bible is a good read, but even it isn't the original translation.

She's right, though, in her reference, she's quoting the Jewish text correctly.

As time passes, it's important to recognize that those lying scribes weren't lying per se. They were translating at a time when they were already several linquistics apart.

Of course, King James had his "Authorized'' version of the Word. That's something else.

The Ethiopian Bible is interesting, as they preserved some of what was tossed from other bibles.

The Greek is likely the best we have. The Jewish Bible is a good read, but even it isn't the original translation.

She's right, though, in her reference, she's quoting the Jewish text correctly.

As time passes, it's important to recognize that those lying scribes weren't lying per se. They were translating at a time when they were already several linquistics apart.

Of course, King James had his "Authorized'' version of the Word. That's something else.

I just looked in my Holy Book. Eve is a she, but the commentaries are good.

It all depends on the translations, and the context of those times. Which we can't even begin to get in to.

Yeah. Heh. That's clever.

I like 9, though. That's the point where the slip into the other dimension happens.We're 'free' at that point.

Oddly enough, and as far as three take us, we always come back to 12. I've always thought that was interesting given that our clocks function by 12.

Last edited:
MisterBeal. You clever, clever, boy. Heh heh.
hitchhikers-guide.jpg

I’m a rabbi, and so I’m particularly saddened whenever religious arguments are brought in to defend social prejudices — as they often are in the discussion about transgender rights. In fact, the Hebrew Bible, when read in its original language, offers a highly elastic view of gender. And I do mean highly elastic: In Genesis 3:12, Eve is referred to as “he.” In Genesis 9:21, after the flood, Noah repairs to “her” tent. Genesis 24:16 refers to Rebecca as a “young man.” And Genesis 1:27 refers to Adam as “them.”
What saddens me is the trend where people are so focused on themselves, and how "me-me-me" may be perceived/treated. We are all unique, we are all slightly difference from others and all those others aren't going to always understand everyone else. There is so much more to life than gender and sex, so first of all, don't be locked in a room where one makes gender/sex the prime factor in living one's life. Forget about sex. Forget about gender. What are our talents? What do you have to offer? Talent and generosity do not care about sex and gender.

The Bible is clear that there is God and there are humans--and that there is a vast difference between the two. While God is referenced as "He" the spirit of God and the wisdom of God, is often referenced as "She." Isn't that enough to remind us that God is beyond human categories? I'm willing to bet one thing: The last thing God is concerned with is sex or gender. He would be contemplating His lack of belly button first.

What saddens me is the trend where people are so focused on themselves, and how "me-me-me" may be perceived/treated. We are all unique, we are all slightly difference from others and all those others aren't going to always understand everyone else. There is so much more to life than gender and sex, so first of all, don't be locked in a room where one makes gender/sex the prime factor in living one's life. Forget about sex. Forget about gender. What are our talents? What do you have to offer? Talent and generosity do not care about sex and gender.

The Bible is clear that there is God and there are humans--and that there is a vast difference between the two. While God is referenced as "He" the spirit of God and the wisdom of God, is often referenced as "She." Isn't that enough to remind us that God is beyond human categories? I'm willing to bet one thing: The last thing God is concerned with is sex or gender. He would be contemplating His lack of belly button first.
So we're NOT made in His image. Thanks for clearing that up.

So we're NOT made in His image. Thanks for clearing that up.
Not what I said. God is pure spirit. Humans are made up of body, mind, and spirit. Thanks for recognizing spirit is part of our make-up. ;)

So then if we're of the same spirit as god, why would he need to judge us?
The Bible tells us that God knows both good and evil, and He chose--and is--goodness and love. The Bible goes onto say that humans, at first, knew only goodness/love--but like God, they wanted to know both good and evil. Judgement is exhibiting to us what we chose to be--good or evil.

So then if we're of the same spirit as god, why would he need to judge us?
The Bible tells us that God knows both good and evil, and He chose--and is--goodness and love. The Bible goes onto say that humans, at first, knew only goodness/love--but like God, they wanted to know both good and evil. Judgement is exhibiting to us what we chose to be--good or evil.
So why would god make evil if He didn't want anything to be that? And cancer, and deformed babies? Why make all this bad stuff in the first place?

So why would god make evil if He didn't want anything to be that? And cancer, and deformed babies? Why make all this bad stuff in the first place?
I don't think what I wrote sunk in with you. You might try reading it again. My assessment: You may be pursuing the wrong questions, kind of like people who want gold, hear that it is found in streams and then go searching for streams, overlooking the obvious of why gold is in streams in the first place.

Your questions tell me that you want to know about cancer and deformed babies. Science can inform you on both. One of the amazing things you may discover about cancer, that without cancer it is doubtful humans would exist. If you want to know about God instead of cancer and deformed babies, then learn to know Him.

Forum List

Back