Is Gang Violence an Epidemic?

Clementine

Platinum Member
Dec 18, 2011
I am watching WGN News out of Chicago. They just reported that a gang of teenagers beat a man for no reason. They stole the guy's wife's cell phone. The man said there is rarely much on the news about the gang violence and he didn't consider it to be a problem. He stated that after becoming a victim and speaking with Chicago police, he now knows it's an epidemic and there are incidents like this everyday.

I will find a link once the station posts tonight's news online.

It just brings up the question of why the media seems to gloss over all the gang violence. I won't even mention the race of the teens. It's not about that, it's about the mentality of much of the youth and all the violence. Funny that the left never addresses it.

Gangs are a major problem throughout the country. And why wouldn't they when our society has been waging a cultural war against the family?

Yeah I just now saw that too.
We travel to Chicago maybe 2-3 x yr but now... I dunno.

After the gang beating story, they were reporting on another epidemic, which is human trafficking. I am glad I don't live in any of the big cities.

The answer the question in the thread title, no, but you wouldn't know that if you're a Fox Noise watcher.

I am watching WGN News out of Chicago. They just reported that a gang of teenagers beat a man for no reason. They stole the guy's wife's cell phone. The man said there is rarely much on the news about the gang violence and he didn't consider it to be a problem. He stated that after becoming a victim and speaking with Chicago police, he now knows it's an epidemic and there are incidents like this everyday.

It just brings up the question of why the media seems to gloss over all the gang violence. I won't even mention the race of the teens. It's not about that, it's about the mentality of much of the youth and all the violence. Funny that the left never addresses it.

Look, I lived in Chicago for fifteen years. All you heard on the news every single night was how many murders took place each day, mostly gang related. Stealing someone's cell phone isn't exactly going to be headline news when you have much worse crime going on daily. Where are you from BTW? You must have never lived in a big city.

The answer the question in the thread title, no, but you wouldn't know that if you're a Fox Noise watcher.

What does Fox have to do with anything? Are you seriously that unable to have a real discussion about this nations problems?

That could have been me and my family riding the L, just up there for a day of sightseeing.
No thanks.
I won't bash Chicago, I love it. For all the times I've visited, never had a problem. But some of the people are getting crazy.

Wife had a week of job training in the city years ago. We all went including our 6 month old baby.
i took the kid out and about during the day and everyone was nice and helpful and accomidating.

One time I was waiting on a taxi and a couple of mean looking black guys came walking by. One of them stopped and said "you better hold that baby close, these winds can get really cold".

If you're not going to mention the race of the offenders, then you're not ready to have a real conversation about gang violence. You're just as bad as they media you talk about that glosses over gang violence. If we want to talk about gang violence, then lets jump right in and identify who is most likely to be in a violent gang and why they choose this lifestyle. Not to be brutally honest is a waste of time.

Last edited:

What does Fox have to do with anything? Are you seriously that unable to have a real discussion about this nations problems?

Because Fox is actively pimping the notion that there is a wave of racial violence sweeping the nation. I'm able to have a real discussion about problems facing the nation. Thankfully, this isn't one in any place the minds of Fox clowns.

The left is too busy race baiting with the Zimmerman case to ever find time take on the subject of gang violence, and black on black crime.

well dont say it happens in mainly black neighborhoods, that would be racist. Gangs is a code word used by the Klan to say black people (or that's what liberals tell us).

Fact is liberals want all these cops on the street, yet then never want to punish criminals. So in liberals towns, you have high crime (not to mention their lack of morality taught by liberals doesnt help in these areas as well)

I heard the same thing, but there are hints that it was racially motivated black on white violence! Liberal media never reports the race of the attackers or victims if its black on white, but then flame the racial divide if its white on black.

According to more honest local reporting, it came out of no where and was unprovoked. They targeted him solely because of his skin color!

And yes gang violence in Chicago is out of control. But what are the police going to do? If they crack down, then they will be accused of being racist police officers. If they started profiling to get the thugs, then they will be considered racially profiling. The parents don't take accountability and the schools are safe places for their children, nor are the places to learn. 60% of the education earmarked tax dollars goes to paying retired teachers unfunded pensions and free healthcare, while the schools are over-crowded, the teacher to student ratio is ridiculous, yet the teacher Unions request a 30% raise, no budgeting on tenure, teacher salaries, pension contributions (which I like nothing) or paying for their healthcare! The money is needed to hire teachers, reduce class size, add more programs, INCREASE the school day, get more security guards, pay of police officers to protect kids on their way home from school.

Yet the corrupt Unions perfer to have hiring freezes, MASSIVE LAYOFFS, cutting the few programs they have, schools in the red, closing and merging of two over-crowded schools and no protection for the kids on their way home!!! They dont' make it about the kids they make it SOLOLY about the teachers!!!!

Teacher Unions are single-handedly destroying American education!

If you're not going to mention the race of the offenders, then you're not ready to have a real conversation about gang violence. You're just as bad as they media you talk about that glosses over gang violence. If we want to talk about gang violence, then lets jump right in and identify who is most likely to be in a violent gang and why they choose this lifestyle. Not to be brutally honest is a waste of time.

I was hoping to get the left to discuss this and decided not to give them any reason to just play the race card and run. Didn't work and the attitude of some is that city life is like that. I hate that it's become expected for big cities, as if we have to learn to live with it instead of doing something about it. I know most of the gangs are minorities and we shouldn't ignore that because it means the root of the problem goes deep. I'm sure it's all Bush's fault.

I watch many different news programs. Funny that some of the worst violence in the country is only seen on local news and many in the media refuse to pick up on the story. It's the same deal with the Fast and Furious coverage. The main networks won't touch the story, so people who only watche them won't know a damn thing about it.

Here in Louisville we had 4 or 5 shootings in a 3 day period all on the same street in the West End. All apparently were gang related. I hadn't realized that Louisville still had any gangs of note until this happened.

I heard the same thing, but there are hints that it was racially motivated black on white violence! Liberal media never reports the race of the attackers or victims if its black on white, but then flame the racial divide if its white on black.

According to more honest local reporting, it came out of no where and was unprovoked. They targeted him solely because of his skin color!

And yes gang violence in Chicago is out of control. But what are the police going to do? If they crack down, then they will be accused of being racist police officers. If they started profiling to get the thugs, then they will be considered racially profiling. The parents don't take accountability and the schools are safe places for their children, nor are the places to learn. 60% of the education earmarked tax dollars goes to paying retired teachers unfunded pensions and free healthcare, while the schools are over-crowded, the teacher to student ratio is ridiculous, yet the teacher Unions request a 30% raise, no budgeting on tenure, teacher salaries, pension contributions (which I like nothing) or paying for their healthcare! The money is needed to hire teachers, reduce class size, add more programs, INCREASE the school day, get more security guards, pay of police officers to protect kids on their way home from school.

Yet the corrupt Unions perfer to have hiring freezes, MASSIVE LAYOFFS, cutting the few programs they have, schools in the red, closing and merging of two over-crowded schools and no protection for the kids on their way home!!! They dont' make it about the kids they make it SOLOLY about the teachers!!!!

I believe you got to the root of the problem. Political correctness won't allow police to tackle the biggest problems in this country.

I know 'education spending' isn't actually spent on the students. The government likes happy unions, who remember them at election time.

Because Fox is actively pimping the notion that there is a wave of racial violence sweeping the nation. I'm able to have a real discussion about problems facing the nation. Thankfully, this isn't one in any place the minds of Fox clowns.

There is quite alot of racial violence going on in the nation. Dont need Fox to say that. I really dont see how that has anything to do with gangs unless you're trying to claim that all gangs are race motivated.

Gang violence mob violence, random violence, all on the rise, but statistically, crime is at historic low levels. It all depends on who is doing the accounting.

I believe you got to the root of the problem. Political correctness won't allow police to tackle the biggest problems in this country.

I know 'education spending' isn't actually spent on the students. The government likes happy unions, who remember them at election time.

I believe in education spending and so do most conservatives. But I want it spend on reducing class sizes, opening schools, security and school programs. I DO NOT WANT IT SPEND ON:
(1) Unfunded Pension Plans - 60% of the tax dollars in Cook County goes to paying retired teachers ridiculously high pensions. Something the private sector doesn't get. Do what San Diego and San Jose did, put them in individual retirement plans (like the private sector has)with a match and see that percent dip to a managable 1-5%!
(2) Fully Funded Health Insurance - The employers in the private sector pay some but not all of their employees' insurance cost, so why should public employees get their entire health insurance costs covered? They should get the equivalent of the private sector.
(3) Tenure - tenure is a collectivist and failed principle. It cost a god awful lot of money and needs to be done away with TODAY!!! Continued employment, raises and promotions should all be on merit PERIOD!!!

Make these changes and you would see what WI is seeing. Schools going from the red to the black, budgets being made without raising taxes, new school programs being funded, hiring of teachers to reduce student to teacher ratios and even new schools to reduce school size!!!

Forum List

Back