Is four extra years of high school worth going into debt for?

https://www.britannica.com/technology/Sputnik

Sputnik was a national disaster in the late 1950's that had to be dealt with because the Russians appeared to be getting ahead of us in science and technology. Just twelve years later, we purportedly put a man on the Moon! NASA, our national space agency, brought large groups of former Nazis over here after World Two and whitewashed their Nazi pasts. The US then set about putting those Russians in their place and demonstrated to the world that our college-attending academic superiority was a force for good and no one should mess with us.

Skyrockets in sight, it was a national delight in 1969 when humans launched from America put footprints on the Moon's soil. Grainy images of spacesuits bouncing in Moon dust were transmitted in ancient analog technology to anyone anywhere that had access to the primitive television sets of the day. We never looked back from sending everyone to college. But wait a minute, did we win because colleges were a good idea or because the Nazis were good at building rockets after lobbing them on English cities? Was Wernher Von Braunn one of the "good" Nazis?

You decide, but base your decision on the facts, not on your impulse to get out of debt you took on to send your kid to college.

Carry on,

Ray
depends on what you want to do.

Any blanket statement about teacher compensation is necessarily false. Teachers are paid very well in many school districts and very poorly in others.

A degree in "Education" has long been known as an academic program with the least academic rigor of any major. Doesn't mean everyone who gets one is low-average, but they didn't have to work very hard to get that degree.

All I know is that when I go on a cruise, half the passengers are retired teachers in their 50's.

https://www.britannica.com/technology/Sputnik

Sputnik was a national disaster in the late 1950's that had to be dealt with because the Russians appeared to be getting ahead of us in science and technology. Just twelve years later, we purportedly put a man on the Moon! NASA, our national space agency, brought large groups of former Nazis over here after World Two and whitewashed their Nazi pasts. The US then set about putting those Russians in their place and demonstrated to the world that our college-attending academic superiority was a force for good and no one should mess with us.

Skyrockets in sight, it was a national delight in 1969 when humans launched from America put footprints on the Moon's soil. Grainy images of spacesuits bouncing in Moon dust were transmitted in ancient analog technology to anyone anywhere that had access to the primitive television sets of the day. We never looked back from sending everyone to college. But wait a minute, did we win because colleges were a good idea or because the Nazis were good at building rockets after lobbing them on English cities? Was Wernher Von Braunn one of the "good" Nazis?

You decide, but base your decision on the facts, not on your impulse to get out of debt you took on to send your kid to college.

Carry on,

Ray
It IS if what you learn in college is in preparation for a career that is not taught at the requisite level for careers such an engineering (as an example). Otherwise, and considering the poor caliber of college instruction generally, I’d say no.

Any blanket statement about teacher compensation is necessarily false. Teachers are paid very well in many school districts and very poorly in others.

A degree in "Education" has long been known as an academic program with the least academic rigor of any major. Doesn't mean everyone who gets one is low-average, but they didn't have to work very hard to get that degree.

All I know is that when I go on a cruise, half the passengers are retired teachers in their 50's.
This is true. Education majors have among the lowest IQs, perhaps slightly above average, of all students - and in my area they reach the $100k mark in about 20 years by the time they reach their 40s (and that’s WITH summers off).

It IS if what you learn in college is in preparation for a career that is not taught at the requisite level for careers such an engineering (as an example). Otherwise, and considering the poor caliber of college instruction generally, I’d say no.
Degrees in math, engineering, or the hard sciences such as chemistry will ultimately be worth it. Law and business
degrees probably as well. The other degrees in the Arts and such will not "payoff" and will lead to decades of indebtedness.

Better outcome as measured by what? Certainly not indebtedness.
While liberal arts grads don't earn as much as STEM or healthcare majors, they fare well in the job market: the average liberal arts grad earns $20,000 more than the average high school grad, and the top 25 percent earn $90,000 or more per year. Two out of five liberal arts graduates go on to earn graduate degrees, which further boosts their earnings to $76,000 annually, on average.

While they never catch up to STEM graduates in earnings, liberal arts majors perform well in the labor market, achieving substantially better outcomes than workers with less education. Among workers with liberal arts BAs, 82 percent are working (70 percent full-time), and the average full-time worker earns $55,000 annually, $20,000 more than high school graduates, but $5,000 less than the average college graduate (Figure 6). However, two out of five liberal arts graduates go on to earn graduate degrees, which further boosts their earnings to $76,000 annually, on average.

This is true. Education majors have among the lowest IQs, perhaps slightly above average, of all students - and in my area they reach the $100k mark in about 20 years by the time they reach their 40s (and that’s WITH summers off).
That's nothing.

And people should automatically get paid $100k after 20 years because?
That's what the job pays. How awful a middle class person makes such a wage. Why it's terrible. No worker should make that. We can't have a teacher making that. Lmao

Forum List

Back