Is eating raw beef even a thing anymore?

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
My wife was telling me about how they used to eat raw beef when she was a kid living in Milwaukee. They didn't have supermarkets or convenience stores back in the 60's. Every neighborhood had its own "mom and pop" store, most of which doubled as butcher shops. They would have the store owner trim the fat off a beef roast and slice it very thin. Then they would put that on rye bread with slice onions, salt, and pepper.

Being from the South myself, I've never heard of such a thing. But the nostalgia of living in a big city like Milwaukee back in the 60's was pretty interesting. Things were a lot different then. It's kinda sad that things will never be like they were 60 years ago.

My wife was telling me about how they used to eat raw beef when she was a kid living in Milwaukee. They didn't have supermarkets or convenience stores back in the 60's. Every neighborhood had its own "mom and pop" store, most of which doubled as butcher shops. They would have the store owner trim the fat off a beef roast and slice it very thin. Then they would put that on rye bread with slice onions, salt, and pepper.

Being from the South myself, I've never heard of such a thing. But the nostalgia of living in a big city like Milwaukee back in the 60's was pretty interesting. Things were a lot different then. It's kinda sad that things will never be like they were 60 years ago.
I knew a guy a long time ago who told me his grandfather, who had lived through the great depression continued to eat lard sandwiches long afterwards.

Only under the full moon . . . much to the local farmer's disrelish. Lead bullets don't do the trick but goddamn do they still sting. One of these nights I'm gonna sneak into that old farm house and dry fire all the old dude's rifles and shotguns until the firing pins are no more. Then I'll eat all his beef (raw) and in relative gnashing peace.

Only under the full moon . . . much to the local farmer's disrelish. Lead bullets don't do the trick but goddamn do they still sting. One of these nights I'm gonna sneak into that old farm house and dry fire all the old dude's rifles and shotguns until the firing pins are no more. Then I'll eat all his beef (raw) and in relative gnashing peace.

No idea where that came from, but it sure as hell was pure poetry. :laughing0301:

Maybe ninety nine times out of a hundred, eating raw meat is fine. It's just that hundredth time that's a bitch and really sucks and puts you in the ER and/or grave.

Do you like those odds?

If you lose, it's game over.

Last edited:
Yeah. I knew a girl that liked raw ground beef.
I tasted it once, spat it out. It was disgusting.

People still eat it though....although I'm sure it's fallen out of fashion with all the "vegans" out there nowadays.

1668431334010.png

Beef tartare ingredients​

• Lean steak – Start with a very good lean steak, like sirloin, beef tenderloin, or top round beef. Ask your butcher for a fresh steak and tell them you’ll be eating it raw.
  • Capers – These add a nice acidity to help balance out the flavors.
  • Cornichons – Or small dill pickles. Just don’t use sweet pickles.
  • Shallots – To give each bite a subtle savory flavor.
  • Worcestershire sauce – A classic choice in most beef tartare recipes. Its bold umami flavors play well with the acidity in each bite.
  • Parsley – Fresh is best!
  • Egg yolks – To serve on top of the beef tartare or to mix in with the meat. Make sure you use fresh eggs and keep them refrigerated up until it’s time to serve.

How to prepare and cut beef tartare​

1. Trim the fat: There shouldn’t be much since the steak is lean, but try to remove any tendons or large pieces of fat.
  2. Freeze the steak: Allowing the steak to firm up in the freezer for at least 20 minutes will make cutting it so much easier.
  3. Cut and mince the steak: Use a sharp knife to cut the frozen steak into ¼-inch slices, then into ¼-inch strips. Mince the strips into very fine pieces. Add it to a plate and chill in the fridge until it’s time to prepare the extra flavors.

How to make classic steak tartare​

1. Prepare the extras: Dice the capers, cornichons, shallots, and parsley and place them in a bowl. Add the Worcestershire sauce and mustard on top and stir everything together.
  2. Add the steak: Add the prepared steak to the bowl and gently fold it into the rest of the ingredients. Taste and add salt as needed. Leave it in the fridge to chill until it’s time to eat.
  3. Plate the tartare: Press half of the tartare mixture into a round mold or ramekin. Flip it over and onto a plate, then repeat with the second half. Create a small well on top of each tartare and top with an egg yolk.
  4. Serve: Add some extra cornichons, crostinis, and mustard to the plate and enjoy!

We eat it here in Europe.

It’s called tartare.

BC24DFED-7599-4C3C-B406-CA00B75C86FB.jpeg

Forum List

Back