Is chess a sport?

Of course it is champ. Just like posting on a message board is a sport.

sport
[spôrt]

NOUN
  1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:

I've seen a study that showed they burn up to 6000 calories a day during a tournament.

I agree it's mentally challenging, I like Chess.

But, it's not a sport. If Chess is a sport we're all athletes, just getting out of bed in the morning is physically challenging sometimes......Come to think of it, it's mentally challenging as well.

:bigbed:
Sure it is, if you can find 32 people to play in the park

Try a weekslong elimination tournament on the clock with 1000s' of players. It is endurance and skill for those that keep advancing to the elite 8 or so. It ain't GOVT work.

Try a weekslong elimination tournament on the clock with 1000s' of players. It is endurance and skill for those that keep advancing to the elite 8 or so. It ain't GOVT work.
Something being mentally taxing doesnt make it a sport. If I have to take 15 SAT's over the weekend you'd likely be exhausted as well. Does that make test take a sport?

I want to see a match between Carlsen and Ding. To answer the title question. Yes, it is a mental sport that will test you physically as well.
I never considered Chess a sport, but I loved playing it all the time as a kid. I read Chess books and played Chess computer games. I was in Chess clubs at school, played others in tournament matches representing our school.

Forum List

Back