Is boxing dead? I remember the first Ali-Frazier fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
in 1971.

My dad who I visited in a hospital- reminded me to give him a radio so he could listen to.

All throught the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s - you knew who the heavyweight champ of the world was: Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Tyson, others....

Have no freaking idea who is the heavychamp today -probably some russian

in 1971.

My dad who I visited in a hospital- reminded me to give him a radio so he could listen to.

All throught the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s - you knew who the heavyweight champ of the world was: Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Tyson, others....

I always loved boxing. I really can't explain why. I remember the boxing match between Ray (Boom Boom) Mancini and DuKoo Kim. :eek: Although, they were welterweight

Yeah boxing is not what it use to be

in 1971.

UFC is starting to take over. Boxing is a sport that only the poor seem to participate. Beating each other senseless isn't a sport that leads to much promise, so the best athletes are playing sports like basketball and football.

Americans are getting shoved out of the championship positions by foreigners, so boxing may be going the route of Indy racing.

Last edited:
in 1971.

UFC is starting to take over. Boxing is a sport that only the poor seem to participate. Beating each other senseless isn't a sport that leads to much promise, so the best athletes are playing sports like basketball and football.

Americans are slowing getting shoved out of the championship positions by foreigners, so boxing may be going the route of Indy racing.

thats a great analogy Mud. UF is , more sophisticated I'd say in that you can employ a range of technique, ala indy racing, when I was in Europe a racing fan told me he thinks formula one is like flying a jet compared to indy racing which is akin to horse racing in that context.

I suppose you didn't watch Bradley vs. Alexander on HBO last night.

imho the whole thing fell apart when they broke up into factions/'authorities' that created their own Belts they wanted to cash in.....they created their championship titles and diluted the product.

How many good heavy weight fights are there (were there) in a year? Maybe one? The UFC and MMA have great fights all the time.

I recall the first Ali-Frazier bout in 1971. The Fight Of The Century!!!!!!!

But there was no live TV broadcast - and not even a live radio broadcast.

Best I got was round summarys on radio. (still cant figue what the deal was)

Same thing in 1973 when Foreman destroyed Smoking Joe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Closed circuit pay-per-view rights.

Guess you forgot that one.

They sold seats in movie theaters and sports arenas to the event.

With the technology today they can do the same thing and deliver it to your home.

I opted out of pay-per view crappola in the first Ali-Frazier fight.

But there should have been at least a live radio broadcast - instead of bullshit delayed round summarys.

in 1971.

I always loved boxing. I really can't explain why. I remember the boxing match between Ray (Boom Boom) Mancini and DuKoo Kim. :eek: Although, they were welterweight

Yeah boxing is not what it use to be
The fighter who gave me the most satisfaction was:

CH4F1t225roberto-duran.jpg

* Manos de Piedra *

....especially when he KICKED THE LIVIN' SHIT outta Leonard!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Boxing was second only to Baseball 50 years ago

Now I couldn't even name the Heavyweight Champ

in 1971.

You forgot Larry Holmes.

I got in fistfight with his little (6'4' 200lb golden gloves champion) bother when I was in high school.

I beat his hands with my face so hard and so many times that eventually he had to stop for fear of getting my blood all over his shoes.

I tuaght him a lesson he'll not soon forget, I'lll wager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back