Memories Of Ali

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
I went through basic training in 1974 with one of his sparring partners, Henry Culpepper. Ali was getting ready for the Jerry Quarry fight after more than 3 years being out of the sport, and Henry made the mistake of putting a good lick on him during a sparring session. Ali opened up on him and all the journeyman boxer wanted to do was get the hell out of the ring, because Ali was hitting him so many times he couldn't get his bearings. Henry's punches felt like you'd been kicked by a mule, but eventually he decided that boxing wasn't in his future. So he joined the military at age 30. Ali was drafted and refused to be inducted, so they banned him from boxing for 3 years.

This guy had so much influence on this country, it's difficult to list all of it.

Cassius Clay, better known as Muhammad Ali.

Muhammad-Ali-vs-Sonny-Liston.jpg

Muhammad Ali (/ɑːˈliː/;[2] born Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr., January 17, 1942 – June 3, 2016) was an American professional boxer, generally regarded as the most significant heavyweight in the history of the sport. Early in his career, Ali was known for being an inspiring, controversial and polarizing figure both inside and outside the boxing ring.[3][4] He is one of the most recognized sports figures of the past 100 years, crowned "Sportsman of the Century" by Sports Illustrated and "Sports Personality of the Century" by the BBC.[5][6] He also wrote several best-selling books about his career, including The Greatest: My Own Story and The Soul of a Butterfly.

Ali, originally known as Cassius Clay, began training at 12 years old. At the age of 22, he won the world heavyweight championship from Sonny Liston in a stunning upset in 1964. Shortly after that, Ali joined the Nation of Islam and changed his name. He converted to Sunni Islam in 1975, and then to Sufism in 2005.

In 1967, three years after winning the heavyweight title, Ali refused to be conscripted into the U.S. military, citing his religious beliefs and opposition to American involvement in the Vietnam War. He was eventually arrested and found guilty on draft evasion charges and stripped of his boxing title. He did not fight again for nearly four years—losing a time of peak performance in an athlete's career. Ali's appeal worked its way up to the Supreme Court of the United States where, in 1971, his conviction was overturned. Ali's actions as a conscientious objector to the war made him an icon for the larger counterculture generation.[7][8]

Ali remains the only three-time lineal world heavyweight champion; he won the title in 1964, 1974, and 1978. Between February 25, 1964 and September 19, 1964 Muhammad Ali reigned as the undisputed heavyweight boxing champion.

Nicknamed "The Greatest", Ali was involved in several historic boxing matches.[9] Notable among these were the first Liston fight, three with rival Joe Frazier, and "The Rumble in the Jungle" with George Foreman, in which he regained titles he had been stripped of seven years earlier.

At a time when most fighters let their managers do the talking, Ali, inspired by professional wrestler "Gorgeous" George Wagner, thrived in—and indeed craved—the spotlight, where he was often provocative and outlandish.[10][11][12] He controlled most press conferences and interviews, and spoke freely about issues unrelated to boxing.[13][14] Ali transformed the role and image of the African American athlete in America by his embrace of racial pride and his willingness to antagonize the white establishment in doing so.[15][16][17] In the words of writer Joyce Carol Oates, he was one of the few athletes in any sport to "define the terms of his public reputation".[18]

Muhammad Ali - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
I was a young lad when all of this was going on, being born in 1965...I was not old enough to remember his main career - but I do remember watching his last fights and the famous interviews with the unforgettable Howard Cosell.
Ali is an American icon, and will remain one for years to come.

I was a young lad when all of this was going on, being born in 1965...I was not old enough to remember his main career - but I do remember watching his last fights and the famous interviews with the unforgettable Howard Cosell.
Ali is an American icon, and will remain one for years to come.
I saw the first Ali vs Liston fight live on TV. Back then it wasn't known how big of a draw boxing would be on television. Ali acted like he was nuts. It was scary to watch. I think Liston could have beat him but Ali had him beat before he entered the ring. Beside, Ali had such a chin that even if you got a good shot on him, it didn't seem to have any effect. All it did was make him harder to hit and cause him to hit you with a seemingly unending flurry of punches in response.

Yep, greatest ever. Slight complaint, he allowed to hold back of head far too often.

Tired of the left media fawning over this. One look at geraldo riverea enough to send me out of it. They pay this buffoon to go on TV to tell us what to think. Hate.

I thought Cassius Clay was a great boxer. Almost in the same class as Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis (WWII veteran) and Rocky Marciano. Cassius changed his name to Muhammed, became a Sunni Muslim and refused to be drafted. Unlike Elvis Presley who served 10 years earlier and honorably.
If he inspired anybody it was the filthy drug ridden flower children known as hippies.
He's with Allah now so his misery is with his Moon God. He ain't no martyr so he don't get them 72 Virgils.

575309e6130000fb0738398a.jpeg
5752f33a1600002a00f9557a.jpeg

In 1969, during his suspension from boxing over his refusal to go to Vietnam, Ali was reportedly drowning in debt and still appealing his conviction. He made pocket change by touring colleges to discuss the war, and, as Playbill points out, he starred in the Broadway musical, “Buck White.”

He was billed under his birth name, Cassius Clay, and his Playbill bio read, “He is now appealing his five-year prison conviction and $10,000 fine for refusing to enter the armed services on religious grounds. The ‘Big Time Buck White Role’ that he has accepted is much like the life he lives off stage in reality.”

Ali sang nearly every song in the musical, playing a militant black lecturer addressing a meeting organized by a black political group. But he would never return to the stage after his conviction was overturned. Here he is on the Ed Sullivan show in character, singing “We Came in Chains.”
5 Stories You Didn't Know About Muhammad Ali

Married four times, he was a serial adulterer (fortunately for him, such matters weren’t reported openly in his day) and though he acknowledged nine children plus an adopted son, there are many others, all across America, who claim him as their father.

Read more: Muhammad Ali's women - and a very fractured family
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Uh.....I think having 9 kids is about average for some African Americans. Many blacks don't even know their father....or even lived with them......like Obama.

I read somewhere that he refused to step forward when his name was called because before that draft, he was refused service somewhere. I think a restaurant. He said, in so many words "you refuse me to eat where I want, amongst everyone else. You refuse to let me drink out of any fountain I want. But you want me to go fight for you? No".

Right on.

Clay was a racist POS

Given the world he was raised in, are you surprised? People were beaten, murdered, preented from voting based solely on their skin color. And you think he should have been all for racial harmony? lol

You cannot view Ali's stance based on 2016 standards.

I read somewhere that he refused to step forward when his name was called because before that draft, he was refused service somewhere. I think a restaurant. He said, in so many words "you refuse me to eat where I want, amongst everyone else. You refuse to let me drink out of any fountain I want. But you want me to go fight for you? No".

Right on.

And, I have no doubt, he saw the draft system rigger against blacks and the poor.

Right on.

And this was shortly after he returned from winning the gold medal in boxing, representing the USA.

He definetely was the greatest ever. I find it laughable the idiots who think Tyson would win if him and Ali were born in the same generation.:rolleyes::rofl::lmao::haha:

Tyson never faced anywhere near the kind of great fighters that Ali faced and beat in his time.Ali would never have lost to a nobody like Buster Douglas.:haha::lmao: Plus Tyson had a glass jaw.He wasnt capable of lasting more than a few rounds as evidenced in that fight.

I had the privilege of meeting Ali once. As a teen I did some amatuer boxing in a program in San Diego sponsored by former light heavyweight champion, Archie Moore.

One day after we finished our drills and sparring, we were watching old fight films that Archie had.

All of the sudden the door flies open and in walks Muhammad Ali. He pointed at Archie and shouted "Old man, I whupped you once and I'm gonna whup you again!" He then took off his jacket and shirt and shadowboxed, did the "Ali Shuffle" and recited poetry for about 20 minutes. It was amazing how such a big man seemed to glide when he moved.

Afterward he talked to all of us about how important it was to stay in school and out of trouble. Archie happened to have copies of some old programs from Ali"s last fight with Cleveland Williams before his title was taken away, so he autographed the copies and we all got one. Mine is framed and is in my trophy case to this day.

This was during his exile and Archie actually had asked him to come to see us. I will never forget that experience.

He seemed to have kind of a magical aura around him.

Last edited:
He definetely was the greatest ever. I find it laughable the idiots who think Tyson would win if him and Ali were born in the same generation.:rolleyes::rofl::lmao::haha:

Tyson never faced anywhere near the kind of great fighters that Ali faced and beat in his time.Ali would never have lost to a nobody like Buster Douglas.:haha::lmao: Plus Tyson had a glass jaw.He wasnt capable of lasting more than a few rounds as evidenced in that fight.

Absolutely. Could you imagine Tyson standing up to a young George Foreman?

Aother attribute that Tyson lacked was the ability to adjust to an opponents style and fight through adversity. He also dod not do well if he had to fight moving backward as evidenced in his fights with Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis.

I had the privilege of meeting Ali once. As a teen I did some amatuer boxing in a program in San Diego sponsored by former light heavyweight champion, Archie Moore.

One day after we finished our drills and sparring, we were watching old fight films that Archie had.

All of the sudden the door flies open and in walks Muhammad Ali. He pointed at Archie and shouted "Old man, I whupped you once and I'm gonna whup you again!" He then took off his jacket and shirt and shadowboxed, did the "Ali Shuffle" and recited poetry for about 20 minutes. It was amazing how such a big man seemed to glide when he moved.

Afterward he talked to all of us about how important it was to stay in school and out of trouble. Archie happened to have copies of some old programs from Ali"s last fight with Cleveland Williams before his title was taken away, so he autographed the copies and we all got one. Mine is framed and is in my trophy case to this day.

This was during his exile and Archie actually had asked him to come to see us. I will never forget that experience.

He seemed to have kind of a magical aura around him.

this is all a real true story?

Forum List

Back