Is bigot an offensive term?

No moral American has forgiveness for continual cultural criminals who engage in bigotry.

SUPERMAN1929 tries to victimize the victims,

Yes, he is a bigot.

A bigot who believes in bigotry is a cultural criminal, although he has the right to believe foolishly in whatever s/he wants to believe. As a thief who believes in stealing is not punished for his belief but rather for his action. SUPERMAN1929 engaging in bigotry is guilty.

And the far right reactionary thought police like you, bud, would be every bit as vicious as the Islamic religious police in the Middle East if you had the chance.

If you blanketly hate an entire group of people, you're a bigot. Sorry.
But doesn't the same apply to every other offensive term?
A bigot is a bigot by choice. It's when you hate someone for being born a certain way, for their mere existence, that makes someone a bigot.
You might want to point out where exactly in the definition of 'bigot' that caveat appears. :eusa_think:

Not all crusaders for tolerance are bigoted, but there's certainly no shortage of it on both sides of contemporary social issues. Moreover, the "intolerant of intolerance" crowd seems to enjoy an unparalleled blindness to their own hypocrisy.

A bigot who believes in bigotry is a cultural criminal, although he has the right to believe foolishly in whatever s/he wants to believe. As a thief who believes in stealing is not punished for his belief but rather for his action. SUPERMAN1929 engaging in bigotry is guilty.

And the far right reactionary thought police like you, bud, would be every bit as vicious as the Islamic religious police in the Middle East if you had the chance.
False. You don't know my beliefs. I'm not far right at all either. I believe in freedom. That's the reason I think bigotry should be more accepted as well as people from every race, sexuality, and ethnicity by the US government. I don't think there is any place for discrimination within laws.

Here we go. Just hang in there for a minute and listen to what I have to say. I keep getting called bigot and many others have as well that I've seen for mentioning anything that may be viewed as anti gay or racist. I for one think it may be time for the word bigot to be viewed like any other racist term such as n*gger, sp*ck, jungle bunny, porch monkey, or go*k. It's just as emotionally harmful and damaging. Is this yet another Liberal double standard? Bigot is thrown around freely as a derogatory term to demean people and try to keep them from speaking the truth. The first step is awareness of the problem. From there the rest is easy.
8dUo6NU.gif

SUPERMAN1929 : The term 'bigotry' should ideally be limited to an individual's immoral and/or irrational dislike of a given group of people. It goes hand-in-hand with hatred. That is, unwillingness to accept/tolerate a particular behaviour (e.g. homosexuality) on a defensible moral basis doesn't constitute genuine bigotry. Bigotry typically shows a fundamental disregard for the value of our fellow human beings.

If you find yourself using racial slurs, or slurs for homosexuals et al., these terms have no purpose but to demean and are a strong indicator that your views are bigoted.

The world would be a much better place if people were more aware of condemnable behaviours and ideologies, and able to dissociate hatred of these things from hatred of the individuals who practice them.

Hopefully that makes sense.

SUPERMAN1929 : The term 'bigotry' should ideally be limited to an individual's immoral and/or irrational dislike of a given group of people. It goes hand-in-hand with hatred. That is, unwillingness to accept/tolerate a particular behaviour (e.g. homosexuality) on a defensible moral basis doesn't constitute genuine bigotry. Bigotry typically shows a fundamental disregard for the value of our fellow human beings.

If you find yourself using racial slurs, or slurs for homosexuals et al., these terms have no purpose but to demean and are a strong indicator that your views are bigoted.

The world would be a much better place if people were more aware of condemnable behaviours and ideologies, and able to dissociate hatred of these things from hatred of the individuals who practice them.

I completely understand the concept. The fact is though that if you use the word bigot as a hate word how are you better than the bigot? It seems counter intuitive to make it such a negative word and insulting whenever you're trying to get someone else to stop insulting others. It means the person doesn't truly believe in the world that they want and can't get free of their own hatred for people that don't agree with them. Labeling people as a bigot anytime they bring up anything that has to do with sexual orientation is purely a guilt tactic making you seem evil for a belief. Just because someone feels that way doesn't even mean they ever openly hate because of their belief. Some things are just unnatural and many don't believe in normalizing that sort of behavior.

It's just how some humans argue,,,Some use emotive retorts, some reason others use logic formulas for truth, and others are ghey like this thread...

It's just how some humans argue,,,Some use emotive retorts, some reason others use logic formulas for truth, and others are ghey like this thread...
It's just the liberal agenda I guess. The far right and far left are both so scary.

I completely understand the concept. The fact is though that if you use the word bigot as a hate word how are you better than the bigot? It seems counter intuitive to make it such a negative word and insulting whenever you're trying to get someone else to stop insulting others. It means the person doesn't truly believe in the world that they want and can't get free of their own hatred for people that don't agree with them. Labeling people as a bigot anytime they bring up anything that has to do with sexual orientation is purely a guilt tactic making you seem evil for a belief. Just because someone feels that way doesn't even mean they ever openly hate because of their belief. Some things are just unnatural and many don't believe in normalizing that sort of behavior.
I agree with you that it's an overused term, and that many of the people who use it are hypocrites.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that calling somebody a "bigot" is inherently bigoted. The legitimacy has to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Like any term, one also gets a feel for how broadly specific people apply it, and it quickly loses its significance when wielded by an individual who can't be bothered to distinguish between bigotry and principled opposition.

You are a bigot, whose defense no more makes it acceptable than does a Nazi's defense of the Third Reich. You have moral choices to make, and you are choosing poorly.

Forum List

Back