Is American Society F(oul)ed Up, or is it just TV?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Shunning "reality" TV (except for Shark Tank), my wife and I mainly watch news and a dozen or so TV dramas every week. We don't watch the "summer" re-runs, so as these shows come and go, we try to find others that are showing first-runs during the interim. The list includes,

Ray Donovan,
Masters of Sex,
Homeland,
Graceland,
NCIS (the original),
Game of Thrones,
The Good Wife,
Blue Bloods,
Under the Dome,
Grey's Anatomy,
Elementary, and
Person of Interest.

Used to watch: Dexter, House, the Sopranos, Six Feet Under, the Wire, the Guardian, The Mentalist, etc.

The overwhelming difference between story lines of the "Ozzie & Harriet" era and today is the pervasive presence of perversion, degeneracy, and socially-promoted forms of abnormality.

It seems like when the writers need a new story line it invariably involves adultery, a homosexual relationship, an inter-racial relationship, an inter-racial adoption, or casual sex between people who are portrayed as being in quasi-monogamous relationships. Not to mention the ubiquitous tendency of Rich, White businessmen and politicians to engage in various forms of illegal behavior. Indeed, the sexual mores of TV personae are indistinguishable from those of barnyard animals. If you put two attractive people near each other, they will invariably find an opportunity to copulate, and take that opportunity with enthusiasm.

I have noted in this space before that Shonda Rhimes is the Devil, but those who watch Grey's Anatomy were entertained this week with their blockbuster season-opening episode in which two high-school lesbians tried to kill themselves by walking in front of a train because their "narrow-minded" parents and schoolmates did not approve of their relationship. Is this the best they can come up with?

"Eli" on The Good Wife, will apparently gain a "love interest" this season - Eli is queer as a jay-bird for those who don't know - and his love interest will, of course, be a Black woman (Vanessa Williams?).

The female lead in Masters of Sex, aside from being absurdly mis-cast - will basically copulate with anyone who smiles at her, and she is portrayed as one of the moral stalwarts in the scenario.

One might also note that normal heterosexual relationships are invariably portrayed as troubled, while homosexual relationships and inter-racial relationships are almost always peachy-keen. Just like real life, I suppose.

There are good shows out there (Blue Bloods), but the need of the writers to shove their degenerate propaganda down our throats - and their success in doing it - doesn't say much good about our society.

Not enjoying your "opiate" any longer? We'll have to talk with the Architect........ maybe reprogram your reality.

There are a few good ones. Blue Blood is good, like you say. Longmire too. I'd dump cable or Satellite and just stream what you want.

Forum List

Back