Is a state funded education a right?

There were two reasons the early fathers wanted children educated. 1. Be able to read the bible, which went back to colonial times. 2. Educated electorate, after the Constitution was ratified.

The Early Father must be spinning in their graves.

How would the state not paying for your education violate any of your constitutional rights?
You have no right to an education? I don't find it in my copy of the constitution. Do you have the update or something?

How would the state not paying for your education violate any of your constitutional rights?

Didn't we sign that UN proclamation that all children are owed an education?
It's not a right it's a law, and they're already trying to take kids away from their parents under it in Germany

It's ALLLLLLLLLLLLL about control

Didn't we sign that UN proclamation that all children are owed an education?
It's not a right it's a law, and they're already trying to take kids away from their parents under it in Germany

It's ALLLLLLLLLLLLL about control

Taking kids away from their parents could be the best thing that ever happened for many of them.

My point is that it is not smart to educate every one. Or at least attempt to.
My point is that it is not a constitutional right.

So what would happen if Constitutionalist Libertarians got in charge?

Since there's no mention of Public Education in the Constitution, then Funding For Public Education would be minimalized.

I'm certain Libertarians would shut down the Dept of Education.
Naw. Fragment it and farm it out to all 50 states to administer, where it's constitutional and they know their needs better than the feds do.

Since there's no mention of Public Education in the Constitution, then Funding For Public Education would be minimalized.

Naw. Fragment it and farm it out to all 50 states to administer, where it's constitutional and they know their needs better than the feds do.

And if the poor or heavially populated states cannot afford as much education for the children?

I dunno, I am mixed on this....
Just as I am on unqulaified parenting, with NO interference from the state.
I know innocent children would suffer due to these 2 issues....

No one knows Anything better than the Feds do.

Ask anyone who receives Free and Reduced Lunches.

And if the poor or heavially populated states cannot afford as much education for the children?

Open up for privatization. Competition will lower the prices. Always does. And of course if the individual state wants to put in their state constitution the right for everyone to have a public education, they can do that. The cost and consequence is on them. Of course there is the slim chance they'd succeed, but at what cost I don't know.

It would not violate anything written in the federal constitution. If a state's population voted that it was the responsibility of the state to provide education then it would be a violation of state law.

However I can find no language in the constitution forcing states to do anything but be sovereign.

Yeah, I know. The welfare kids on my bus bitch a blue streak if they can't get their morning 'egg' sammich and juice or what ever because the weather made us late. And they bitch LOUD.. After all, they're entitled.

You should also see their faces when I tell them they are not entitled to the bus ride, and can get out and walk if they don't behave and stop fighting/screaming/making a mess/damaging the bus.

By "fragmenting it," do you mean the Dept. of Education, or the entire Federal Government?

Open up for privatization. Competition will lower the prices. Always does. And of course if the individual state wants to put in their state constitution the right for everyone to have a public education, they can do that. The cost and consequence is on them. Of course there is the slim chance they'd succeed, but at what cost I don't know.

Yeah that was the story about the privitization of prisons as well. How has that one worked out? I know how it has in KY.

If you don't know about it just do some googling.
Corrections Corporation of America for instance.

Yeah, I know. The welfare kids on my bus bitch a blue streak if they can't get their morning 'egg' sammich and juice or what ever because the weather made us late. And they bitch LOUD.. After all, they're entitled.

You should also see their faces when I tell them they are not entitled to the bus ride, and can get out and walk if they don't behave and stop fighting/screaming/making a mess/damaging the bus.

they're not entitled, they're hungry, you stupid son of a bitch.

By "fragmenting it," do you mean the Dept. of Education, or the entire Federal Government?
All departments, agencies, acts and other resources possessed by the federal government that are not in line with enumerated powers doctrine should be split up to the states equally... as well as the tax revenues that support them.

Then it's constitutional, and the states just have to raise their taxes to cover them, or decide what spending to cut, and how to pay off the debt. Some states will make out like bandits... others will be fooked if they don't choose well.

yeah yeah yeah... then their parents should have done like mine and either fed them or taught them how to make cereal. Some of these kids are highschool students. The little ones I understand because they can't fend for themselves. But the older ones. hell. I did it, they can too. It is not, nor ever SHOULD it be the school or state's responsibility to raise children.

yeah yeah yeah... then their parents should have done like mine and either fed them or taught them how to make cereal. Some of these kids are highschool students. The little ones I understand because they can't fend for themselves. But the older ones. hell. I did it, they can too.

you do understand that they get fed at school because there's probably no food at home, right?

yeah yeah yeah... then their parents should have done like mine and either fed them or taught them how to make cereal. Some of these kids are highschool students. The little ones I understand because they can't fend for themselves. But the older ones. hell. I did it, they can too.

you do understand that they get fed at school because there's probably no food at home, right?
With the amount of candy wrappers I catch them throwing on the floor, I highly doubt that. The question is, who's responsibility is it for the care and welfare of a child? I posit it's the parents.

Well, my point isn't really to critcise the kids.

My point is that the Free and Reduced Lunch program, which may well be intended to feed kids that would otherwise find it impossible to learn the vital skills needed for all democratic citizens, like adding fractions, or College Chemistry, is really only enabling lazy parents.

If my 7 year old daughter can be taught to make a PB&J Sandwich for herself the night before, the WTF are these parents doing that rely of the Feds Title I?

It is not a right. It is, howerver, a "public service" (one of the four purposes for Government in the first place) that our founding fathers felt that needed to be provided. I think it is a good one. However, I say again, it is not a "right."

Forum List

Back