Is a state funded education a right?

I have no idea if this answer has been given yet, but here's mine:

Is a state funded education a right?

No. It is not a right. However, it is in the best interest of a country to have an educated populace. So it is in the best interest of the country to have state funded education.

(I have no idea what the OP is and don't care. I'm just going off of the thread title)

Yeah that's pretty much what I said when I spoke of the "social good".

Yet you wish to silence it in all arenas. Yet you wish to not be considered hateful towards any religion. You can't have it both ways no matter how hard you try.

Never have I called for the closing of churches or insisting religious programs be banned from TV or Radio or the Religious section from the paper.

But I will stand up and fight to keep mysticism out of "science classes". Allowing the supernatural to contaminate science is pure "Taliban". Until you can point to a single positive invention or scientific development based on spirits, then it needs to stay in churches for those that believe in such stuff.

You aren't wanted everywhere and neither is the occult, no matter how hard YOU try.
Yeah, well.

I wanna learn about chemistry, but don't start with all those atoms and microscopic junk. Who beleives in those anyway? I mean, have YOU ever seen an atom? I sure haven't. Here, now you have seen an atom.

Redacto in absurdum.
You aren't wanted everywhere and neither is the occult, no matter how hard YOU try.

Nor is your hate for the supernatural (meaning unprovable by logic or science) and atheism.

SFW?

regardless, your entrenched stupidity on this exceeds the entertainment value. Samson was right, I should have ignored you long ago.

Google Image Result for http://images.iop.org/objects/phw/news/12/7/18/TEM.jpg

TEM.jpg

Physicists in the US claim to have used a transmission electron microscope (TEM) to see a single hydrogen atom – the first time that a TEM has been used to image such a light atom. The breakthrough was made by supporting the atom on graphene — a sheet of carbon just one atom thick. The team has also been able to watch hydrocarbon chains move across the graphene surface, suggesting that the technique could be used to study the dynamics of biological molecules.

There is nothing new in using TEMs to see individual atoms, but until now such instruments could only be used to image heavy atoms. One reason is that a TEM creates an image by shining an electron beam on a sample and measuring how much it is deflected by atoms of interest. Lighter atoms deflect electrons less than heavier atoms, which means that only the latter show up on an image.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, it figures that a right-winger would say that knowledge is a sin. The church has every reason to keep the masses dumb and easily manipulated.

How would the state not paying for your education violate any of your constitutional rights?

Reading the paper the other day I thought of this thread! :lol:

I guess in Washington State it is a right, a Superior Court just ruled on his very subject this last week. :D

Luissa, Master of Hyperbole, Strikes Again.:tongue:

Do you have any idea how they supported the ruling?

Ignorance breeds fear. Racism. Accusations of "not one of us". Circling the wagons. Finger pointing. The current Republican Party is a classic example of what happens when people turn their back on education. Block off the ability to learn from history. To Republicans, education is "let's learn math", but no math beyond "finger counting".
So that's your problem - you are ignorant.
Because all you aver do is point your finger and do J'accuse.
The Republicans are at fault
The Christians are at fault
They're "not one of my us" so they are bad.

You certainly provided a little free education for everyone with that ignorant post.

Those on the right want it both ways. They want our kids to excel at math and science and at the same time push an insane agenda of "magical creation", thereby delegitimizing the very science they want them to excel at.

It means "stupid is better", obviously.

Disobedience to who? Please nothing mystical.

I get so tired of Americans pretending they have all this, I can't even put words to it, for some Middle Eastern desert religion that started with primitive people thousands of years ago.

The so-called "Christian religion" has been whitened and Americanized. And the symbols are a mystery. Truly, I'm surprised their Jesus hasn't been updated to wearing a suit, flying the Confederate Flag, carrying an Uzi, with dollar signs instead of a "happy face".

To me, it's no more real than Greek or Roman "mythology". Many of the stories are obviously the same.

And the fact that people want to teach this in public schools is both a shame and a tragedy.

I get really tired of the religious complaining that their religion is attacked. To me, gays have never put it "in your face" the same way the religious have. No gays have come to my house going door to door pushing their lifestyle. They may want teachers to teach acceptance and not hate, but none have ever tried to replace or question one of the foundations of science. Religions promote violence and hate, but no gays do. Religions are fixated on gays, but I would rather have gays around than religious people, for sure. At least I wouldn't have to, pardon the expression, watch my back.

Let me say it again:

I get really tired of the religious complaining that their religion is attacked. To me, gays have never put it "in your face" the same way the religious have. No gays have come to my house going door to door pushing their lifestyle.

It's the religious doing the attacking. Simply attempting to push mysticism in science class is an attack on reason.

Never have I called for the closing of churches or insisting religious programs be banned from TV or Radio or the Religious section from the paper.

But I will stand up and fight to keep mysticism out of "science classes". Allowing the supernatural to contaminate science is pure "Taliban". Until you can point to a single positive invention or scientific development based on spirits, then it needs to stay in churches for those that believe in such stuff.

Depends on how you define an "educated populace". If it includes mysticism and the occult in science class, then the "education" is less than "quality".

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I wonder, rdean, do you try to be tiresome, or is being A Bore part of your nature?

Ranting away, post after post about Religion in Public Schools would be great.... in a thread about Religion in American Public Schools, regardless of what an oxymoron that might be.

The fact is, no religion is being taught in Public Schools, and therefore there is no conflict between Constitutional seperation of Church and State. Your frothy ramblings are more than boring, they become as laughably dogmatic as the imaginary "Taliban" Boogyman you seem to believe hides behind every corner in each 1st grade class in the USA waiting to baptise unwilling masses.

How would the state not paying for your education violate any of your constitutional rights?

It wouldn't.

There is no mention at all about education in the US constitution.

Exactly, which gives the state the power to exercise (or not exercise) it under the 10th Amendment. The same situation that allows the state to execute (or not execute) prisoners.

Early schools were funded primarially by the parents of the students, not by everyone in the community.

Correct.

I'm pretty sure the Founding Fathers would have been horrified by how we have enslaved everyone through income tax, property tax, and sales tax, to pay for the stupidity of the few.

Regarding public schools? I doubt it. One of the last acts under the Confederation was the Northwest Ordinance. While they didn't specify regarding the other states, this set the direction that the leaders knew was necessary. A republic could not last without an educated electorate:

LIBERTY! . Northwest Ordinance | PBS

The Northwest Ordinance established a means and precedence by which the United States could expand westward. For a collection of former colonies, extremely sensitive—to say the least—to the fashion in which they'd been governed by England, this was a crucial piece of egaliterian legislation.

The final of four Ordinances was adopted by the Confederation Congress sitting in its last session, in 1787. In sum, the Northwest Ordinance dealt with the territory aquired from Great Britain in the aftermath of the war—land north of the Ohio River and east of Mississippi. It made four crucial promises to prospective states in this region.

First, that each would enter the union "on an equal footing with the original states." Second, that revenue generated from the sale of a portion of each township in the state would go to fund public education—the first instance of federal aid for education in American history. Third, "neither slavery nor involuntary servitude" were to be allowed. And four, that a good faith effort would be made to respect the Indians in the territory.

In time, the Northwest Territories would become the states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. While the last of the ordinances was the most ill-kept, the third would prove crucial to the future history of the country. By federal mandate, each of the states in the Northwest Territories entered the union slave-free—a fact that would weigh heavily against the institution of slavery for years, and would help bring about its ultimate end by providing vast resources to the War Between the States to come.

Forum List

Back