Is a state funded education a right?

No wonder Republicans hate education.

If there were no education, we would all be Republicans.

we need to use the power of Uncle Sam to force education down the throats of some of our populace at gunpoint if necessary.
hitler-youth.jpg

You sure you want this? It's coming, but are you sure it's what you want?

I think you're right. All those white faces. Looks like Republicans sending their children off to "Jesus camp".

Lets join hands and sing Onward Christian Soldiers.

then hug time followed by passing the offering plate.

Last edited:
we need to use the power of Uncle Sam to force education down the throats of some of our populace at gunpoint if necessary.
hitler-youth.jpg

I think you're right. All those white faces. Looks like Republicans sending their children off to "Jesus camp".
Well those are Nazi hitler youth. That would make them progressives... I mean fascists.

You spelled the party wrong. Your sentences should read
No wonder Democrats hate education.

If there were no education, we would all be Democrats.

But I won't fault you for your mistake - after all you're a Democrat.

Again. explain why the failed public school monopoly is overwhelmingly liberal?

A. Why do you respond to the partisan bomb throwers?

B. There is no "failed public school monopoly." Only a failed Federal Beaurocracy, for which BOTH parties are dedicated to expanding.

C. Everything "Public" is going to be financed by more taxes. Teachers and Administrators of the public education system are nothing more than government employees. Why wouldn't they support more "liberal" financing and higher taxes?

How would the state not paying for your education violate any of your constitutional rights?

Constitution:
Article VI

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

UDHR:
Article 26

(1) Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.

-The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Education, then, beyond all other devices of human origin, is the great equalizer of the conditions of men, — the balance-wheel of the social machinery. - Horace Mann, 1848​

Anybody who is an opponent of free and universal education also opposes equality of opportunity. How anyone can attempt to defend such an abhorrent and morally bankrupt position baffles me to no end.

higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.

//

Hmm merit not cost.

I guess this leaves out the underachieving rich kids?

☭proletarian☭;1974297 said:
And during all these firings and hirings and building changes, etc.
Well this will not disrupt the childrens educations?

Are you claiming they have been?
And if a school goes bankrupt?

Then it falls to the city/county to help them, and to the State if the city/county is bankrupt.

If they district, city, county, and State are all bankrupt, then then the schools are not the only or most pressing problem.

If it is a private school the city/state should not help them.
Awesome, since I have to pay tuition to public universities, let's start there and them support themselves solely off of tuition like private universities. Or of course, make them free.

higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.

//

Hmm merit not cost.

I guess this leaves out the underachieving rich kids?
Ooohhh! I want that job. I want to decide who gets educated and who doesn't! I can be the new Education Czar!

The problem with conservatives is they've lost the understanding of the value of education. How many times have we heard them say, "It's just a piece of paper", Or, "Those elitist intellectuals with no common sense".

Then they have delegitimized science by insisting a "mystical component" be added to "real" science as "alternate theories". Since there is no data supporting mysticism, what is to be "taught" has never been clear.

The rights disconnect from eduction has been so complete, they only "imagine" what the value of education actually means.

Glaring examples:

Let's build nuclear power plants.
Let develop green technology that's competitive with the rest of the world.
Let's find a cure of AIDS (or maybe not - they still believe it's a "gay" disease).

Without a clue how any of those goals are achieved.

Probably the most glaring evidence is the recent PEW pol that said only 6% of scientists in the United States are Republican. That means 94% are not. If those 6% are concentrated in only a couple of fields that would mean conservatives are not represented in most fields of science.

Unfortunately, when conservative see such posts as this, they cry "liar, stupid, they swear, they rant".

The only future for this country is through education. Technology, science, history.

Ignorance breeds fear. Racism. Accusations of "not one of us". Circling the wagons. Finger pointing. The current Republican Party is a classic example of what happens when people turn their back on education. Block off the ability to learn from history. To Republicans, education is "let's learn math", but no math beyond "finger counting".

Last edited by a moderator:
How would the state not paying for your education violate any of your constitutional rights?

It wouldn't.

And the result of that, the US quickly descending to third world status, would not violate my Constitutional rights, either.

In fact, we are rapidly achieving that, in any case. China is graduating 10 times the engineers that we are. South Korea, 3 times.

In both nations, the growth of manufacturing and inovations is demonstrating the folly of failing to educate our population.

hitler-youth.jpg

Not a bad point.

Still gotta force folks to learn mathematics and all the basics.
Given my druthers, I'd return to Pre 1960's education requirements of learning the classics of philosophy, critical thinking, American History, mathematics, science and re-allowing the option for school prayer.

I would be looking at having by high school, students could split into tracks, like in Germany (yes I like the idea they had) for trade or college courses that either push students into a trade immediately after high school with little need for future education, or to college where they will not have to worry about taking remedial courses they should have learned in Junior High.

Of course, that would be for my state. I dont know what anyone else would want to do. Doing it at the federal level is unconstitutional.

It wouldn't.

And the result of that, the US quickly descending to third world status, would not violate my Constitutional rights, either.

In fact, we are rapidly achieving that, in any case. China is graduating 10 times the engineers that we are. South Korea, 3 times.

In both nations, the growth of manufacturing and inovations is demonstrating the folly of failing to educate our population.
That is a problem. But that's because we're to busy fucking around playing political indoctrination and social feel good engineering on our kids, instead of pushing for the basics to be learned.

The kids leaving our high schools often hit college not learning enough to succeed, and then filter into useless degrees that have little to no use in the work place (Liberal arts, psychology, philosophy, english) unless you become a teacher/professor. Too many are left basically re-taking the courses in High School to get up to where most foreign school systems are before leaving for college.

And most of this is due to apathy in the education system, brought on by monopolization. Go to private schools and the home schoolers, and you see little to none of this.

"liberal arts, psychology, philosophy, english" are great degrees, and they all have a place in other professions. To suggest that they are somehow extraneous except in their own fields is a rather silly statement.

I do agree wholeheartedly the anti-piaget argument that ALL children learning abstractly at a much earlier age than Jean Piaget proposed is absurdly stupid. The modern theory of learning is based on the needs of special interest groups and critical thinking skills.

The school districts have to refuse state and federal money, and there is the glitch. The industry's employees, from housekeeping to superintendents, will never agree.

It wouldn't.

That is a problem. But that's because we're to busy fucking around playing political indoctrination and social feel good engineering on our kids, instead of pushing for the basics to be learned.

The kids leaving our high schools often hit college not learning enough to succeed, and then filter into useless degrees that have little to no use in the work place (Liberal arts, psychology, philosophy, english) unless you become a teacher/professor. Too many are left basically re-taking the courses in High School to get up to where most foreign school systems are before leaving for college.

And most of this is due to apathy in the education system, brought on by monopolization. Go to private schools and the home schoolers, and you see little to none of this.

Those on the right want it both ways. They want our kids to excel at math and science and at the same time push an insane agenda of "magical creation", thereby delegitimizing the very science they want them to excel at.

Forum List

Back