Is 216 years

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
served before eligible for parole an excessive sentence? Isn't that a ridiculous number?

sounds like a ''life sentence'' in prison....

who was the sentence for and what were the multiple crimes that were committed that added up to that?

It's a way to make sure the guy gets life in prison without parole for crimes that don't allow the actual sentence of LWOP. And I'm assuming there were quite a few crimes in that little spree to add up to such a big number. It's within the judge's discretion, and it happens. What do you think is so wrong about it? What were the crimes involved?

It's a way to make sure the guy gets life in prison without parole for crimes that don't allow the actual sentence of LWOP. And I'm assuming there were quite a few crimes in that little spree to add up to such a big number. It's within the judge's discretion, and it happens. What do you think is so wrong about it? What were the crimes involved?

Oh, I absolutely don't find a thing wrong with it. I'm just wondering about the ridiculous number and where it came from; why didn't they just give him "life without the possibility of parole"?

-- A man convicted in the execution-style killings of three students in New Jersey nearly three years ago was sentenced Thursday to three consecutive life sentences, the Essex County prosecutor's office said.

Rodolfo Godinez was the first person to stand trial in connection with the Newark murders. He got a 20-year sentence in addition to the life sentences.

Under New Jersey laws, Godinez would become eligible for parole after serving 216 years in prison, the prosecutor's office said.

First defendant in New Jersey execution-style killings gets life - CNN.com

Note that this article omitted the information that this gang member was an illegal from Equador.

Last edited:
Judges usually have sentencing guidelines set by law, with a minimum and maximum for each offense. The judge has leeway to decide on the sentence within those guidelines. If LWOP isn't an option, consecutive sentences can add up to an impossible number of years served before the guy is eligible for parole. So it's a way of getting around the limitations that's perfectly within the judge's power. Win-win in most cases, I'd say. ;)

Is this judicially imposed, payable by the state, geriatric care?

At some point; why?

Judge Sends Rapist to Prison for 30,000 Years - Los Angeles Times

Judge Sends Rapist to Prison for 30,000 Years
December 23, 1994|From Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY — A judge who said he was weary of criminals serving only a portion of their time sentenced a man convicted of raping children to 30,000 years in prison.

The jury that convicted Charles Scott Robinson on Dec. 14 had recommended 5,000 years in prison for each of the six counts against him. Jurors, who couldn't sentence him to life without parole, said they wanted Robinson behind bars for good.

Judge Sends Rapist to Prison for 30,000 Years - Los Angeles Times

Judge Sends Rapist to Prison for 30,000 Years
December 23, 1994|From Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY — A judge who said he was weary of criminals serving only a portion of their time sentenced a man convicted of raping children to 30,000 years in prison.

The jury that convicted Charles Scott Robinson on Dec. 14 had recommended 5,000 years in prison for each of the six counts against him. Jurors, who couldn't sentence him to life without parole, said they wanted Robinson behind bars for good.

This is got to be some kind of record.

so he has to wait 70 years for parole for each of the life sentences.

Sounds fair.

Sounds fair to me as well. Committing multiple murders shouldn't mean getting a discounted sentence by serving the terms concurrently.

Forum List

Back