Iraq Wants the US Out - Our New Saigon Moment

Actually..that doesn't work.

Our history with Saddam Hussien is a long, complicated and particularly shady one. Like I've posted before, he's done things that haven't been appreciated by the United States like dealing with Russia. But on the whole..he was useful. At the behest of America, the Iranians were attacked and forced into a long brutal war with Iraq. And Hussein was not the brightest light on the tree either. But he felt that he was a combination of Stalin and Saladin..and was going to be a lion of the Arab world. Glaspie, and those handling Hussien knew about the Iraqi problem with Kuwait. Lots of debt, no way to pay it (Because of the Iraq/Iran war), lots of noise, a desire for a port city and a very agitated Iraqi population. Even Glaspie admits that she thought there would be an attack..just not so large.

Be that as it may...that's what you get when you meddle. We keep trying to get resources on the cheap..through deceptive practices and military action. Which is why we keep getting these messes.

Glaspie thought there would be an attack...hence the concern at the massing of troops at the border.

Again, all I see is grasping.

Grasping? She gave him an "okay". She basically knew he was going to attack..but thought it would be a limited one.

Gosh.

I saw no "OK"...I see grasping.

Show me an "ok".

Glaspie thought there would be an attack...hence the concern at the massing of troops at the border.

Again, all I see is grasping.

Grasping? She gave him an "okay". She basically knew he was going to attack..but thought it would be a limited one.

Gosh.

Show me an "ok".

:lol:

I'd have to start acquainting you with "Diplospeak" which is language all it's own.

Saddam made a choice to invade a sovereign nation unprovoked.

The U.S. did not invade Iraq unprovoked.

See my original post.

Sure it did.

We had no treaties with Kuwait. Nations attack nations all the time.

UN Resolution 678 required Iraq to withdrawal by 15 January 1991, and authorized “all necessary means to uphold and implement Resolution 660,” and a diplomatic formulation authorizing the use of force if Iraq failed to comply.

Gulf War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See my original post.

Sure it did.

UN Resolution 678 required Iraq to withdrawal by 15 January 1991, and authorized “all necessary means to uphold and implement Resolution 660,” and a diplomatic formulation authorizing the use of force if Iraq failed to comply.

Well there's probably no way to convince you of how wrong and absurd this action was..

Suffice to say, the region, because of these ridiculous military actions, is in very bad shape. And it's probably not going to sort itself out for sometime to come. It's also reasonable to assume there will be ramifications to the United States because of this meddling..some of which will take the form of violence in our homeland.

There clearly has been many mistakes made here..well clear to some. And hopefully they will be learned from..

And it's very complicated history. I am "nutshelling" quite alot. You might do well to do some research. It's interesting reading. But very very convoluted.

Gosh.

Show me an "ok".

:lol:

I'd have to start acquainting you with "Diplospeak" which is language all it's own.

Unless the Diplospeak language includes some rule that when a diplomat says "We're concerned by you're army massed on the border of Kuwait, especially considering your history" means "We're cool with you invading and occupying Kuwait"...it would be a waste of time.

If Saddam made that interpretation from that sentence, he may have been one of the biggest imbeciles in human history.

I have no opinion on conflict between you and Rdean.

Do you take that no mean I would not intervene if you attacked him?

I think this another example of the left grasping at straws, except, in this case, there isn't a straw to grasp.

Our history with Saddam Hussien is a long, complicated and particularly shady one. Like I've posted before, he's done things that haven't been appreciated by the United States like dealing with Russia. But on the whole..he was useful. At the behest of America, the Iranians were attacked and forced into a long brutal war with Iraq. And Hussein was not the brightest light on the tree either. But he felt that he was a combination of Stalin and Saladin..and was going to be a lion of the Arab world. Glaspie, and those handling Hussien knew about the Iraqi problem with Kuwait. Lots of debt, no way to pay it (Because of the Iraq/Iran war), lots of noise, a desire for a port city and a very agitated Iraqi population. Even Glaspie admits that she thought there would be an attack..just not so large.

Be that as it may...that's what you get when you meddle. We keep trying to get resources on the cheap..through deceptive practices and military action. Which is why we keep getting these messes.

See my original post.

I'm not sure what your point it.

Iraq invaded Kuwait.

Kuwait and the surrounding Arab countries asked for our help.

Bush Sr. drove Iraq out of Kuwait back in to Iraq and stopped at the border.

Bush Sr. understood the cost of taking over a country. He put the country under sanctions and as former head of the CIA, I suspect he told that agency to keep watch on a country that invaded a neighbor.

Some years go by.

Bin Laden, angry that American Infidels killed Arabs in the Middle East planned the attack on America as "retribution". How do we know this? He told us.

But Bush, by protecting Kuwait was right, he did the right thing. Bin Laden attacking America was on him, not anyone else. Bush was right, Bin Laden was wrong.

But Bush Jr., knowing that Iraq was under sanctions, without industry or manufacturing in any meaningful amount, invaded.

Only on the right, do people believe that Bush Sr., a former head of the CIA would totally ignore Iraq after kicking their asses out of Kuwait. Not only that, he was a former war hero.

Only a total tard would ignore an enemy after punching them in the nose. "Never turn your back on an enemy". Everyone knows that and yet, the right wing ASSUMES that's EXACTLY what Bush did. How dumb to believe that.

Only, you have to believe that, otherwise, what's left, is the truth that Iraq was no danger to us and we invaded a country for fun and profit.

BAGHDAD—Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki ruled out the presence of any U.S. troops in Iraq after the end of 2011, saying his new government and the country's security forces were capable of confronting any remaining threats to Iraq's security, sovereignty and unity.

Mr. Maliki spoke with The Wall Street Journal in a two-hour interview, his first since Iraq ended nine months of stalemate and seated a new government after an inconclusive election, allowing Mr. Maliki to begin a second term as premier.

A majority of Iraqis—and some Iraqi and U.S. officials—have assumed the U.S. troop presence would eventually be extended, especially after the long government limbo. But Mr. Maliki was eager to draw a line in his most definitive remarks on the subject. "The last American soldier will leave Iraq" as agreed, he said, speaking at his office in a leafy section of Baghdad's protected Green Zone. "This agreement is not subject to extension, not subject to alteration. It is sealed."

More at link
Iraqi Prime Minister Says U.S. Forces Must Leave On Time - WSJ.com

Say hello to Iran.

Trillions of taxpayer dollars thrown away, the loss of American influence and stature all over the world, countless of innocent people dead .. including tens of thousands of dead and wounded American soldiers .. all to hand Iraq to Iran like a wonderful Christmas present.

Think we'll comply? Or think he'll have an unfortunate accident?

:eusa_eh:

Sure it did.

Well there's probably no way to convince you of how wrong and absurd this action was..

Suffice to say, the region, because of these ridiculous military actions, is in very bad shape. And it's probably not going to sort itself out for sometime to come. It's also reasonable to assume there will be ramifications to the United States because of this meddling..some of which will take the form of violence in our homeland.

There clearly has been many mistakes made here..well clear to some. And hopefully they will be learned from..

And it's very complicated history. I am "nutshelling" quite alot. You might do well to do some research. It's interesting reading. But very very convoluted.

I understand that U.S.-Middle East history is convoluted...it's one of the prices we pay for being a Republic, our foreign policy shifts every 4 to 8 years, and a lot of mistakes have been made all around.

But in my opinion, liberating Kuwait from Iraq wasn't one of them.

I understand that U.S.-Middle East history is convoluted...it's one of the prices we pay for being a Republic, our foreign policy shifts every 4 to 8 years, and a lot of mistakes have been made all around.

Well we have to agree to disagree here. :eusa_angel:

See my original post.

Iraq invaded Kuwait.

Bush Sr. understood the cost of taking over a country. He put the country under sanctions and as former head of the CIA, I suspect he told that agency to keep watch on a country that invaded a neighbor.

Some years go by.

Bin Laden, angry that American Infidels killed Arabs in the Middle East planned the attack on America as "retribution". How do we know this? He told us.

But Bush, by protecting Kuwait was right, he did the right thing. Bin Laden attacking America was on him, not anyone else. Bush was right, Bin Laden was wrong.

Up to this point we are on the same page.

And if we were authorized to liberate and invade Iraq during the Gulf War, we were authorized to invade Iraq when the UN issued their final resolution that Iraq was in breach of the Gulf War ceasefire agreement, UN Res. 1441.

If you wish to argue the justification for the Iraq War, we can do that...again...

But the claim that the U.S. invaded Iraq unprovoked, or that this was a preemptive war is hogwash, IMO.

Last edited:

See my original post.

Iraq invaded Kuwait.

Some years go by.

But Bush Jr., knowing that Iraq was under sanctions, without industry or manufacturing in any meaningful amount, invaded.

Only on the right, do people believe that Bush Sr., a former head of the CIA would totally ignore Iraq after kicking their asses out of Kuwait. Not only that, he was a former war hero.

Only a total tard would ignore an enemy after punching them in the nose. "Never turn your back on an enemy". Everyone knows that and yet, the right wing ASSUMES that's EXACTLY what Bush did. How dumb to believe that.

Only, you have to believe that, otherwise, what's left, is the truth that Iraq was no danger to us and we invaded a country for fun and profit.

Well we have to agree to disagree here. :eusa_angel:

Fair enough. :thup:

Rep coming your way...I thoroughly enjoyed the discourse.

You argued your case very well.

See my original post.

Iraq invaded Kuwait.

Some years go by.

And if we were authorized to liberate and invade Iraq during the Gulf War, we were authorized to invade Iraq when the UN issued their final resolution that Iraq was in breach of the Gulf War ceasefire agreement, UN Res. 1441.

If you wish to argue the justification for the Iraq War, we can do that...again...

But the claim that the U.S. invaded Iraq unprovoked, or that this was a preemptive war is hogwash.

The entire world thought Bush had evidence that Iraq was a threat to us. Bush administration officials gave them their word.

Like I said, Bush Sr. was formerly the head of the CIA. You know that he put CIA watchdogs on Iraq the second our forces were moving to Kuwait and kept them there. The man is just too smart to do otherwise. Bush Sr. was a very smart man. It's impossible for him to make such a mistake that he wouldn't keep intelligence agencies tuned in to Iraq.

And we know what Clinton thought of Saddam. No way that he would stop what Bush Sr. started.

And remember WMDs were a "slam dunk"? We had to wait to invade until the inspectors left Iraq that Bush said weren't in Iraq. Come on. The nation was glued to the TV. Bush didn't invade until after the inspectors left.

Is it any wonder Bush Sr. has been so mysteriously quiet? Bush Sr. could protect his son from the SEC, from the police for drunk driving, keep him safe in the Champagne unit in the Air Force and help get him into Harvard, but this, this is one thing he couldn't get his son out of.

See my original post.

Iraq invaded Kuwait.

Some years go by.

But the claim that the U.S. invaded Iraq unprovoked, or that this was a preemptive war is hogwash.

The entire world thought Bush had evidence that Iraq was a threat to us. Bush administration officials gave them their word.

Like I said, Bush Sr. was formerly the head of the CIA. You know that he put CIA watchdogs on Iraq the second our forces were moving to Kuwait and kept them there. The man is just too smart to do otherwise. Bush Sr. was a very smart man. It's impossible for him to make such a mistake that he wouldn't keep intelligence agencies tuned in to Iraq.

And we know what Clinton thought of Saddam. No way that he would stop what Bush Sr. started.

And remember WMDs were a "slam dunk"? We had to wait to invade until the inspectors left Iraq that Bush said weren't in Iraq. Come on. The nation was glued to the TV. Bush didn't invade until after the inspectors left.

Is it any wonder Bush Sr. has been so mysteriously quiet? Bush Sr. could protect his son from the SEC, from the police for drunk driving, keep him safe in the Champagne unit in the Air Force and help get him into Harvard, but this, this is one thing he couldn't get his son out of.

Irrelevant...Saddam booted the inspectors.

That action breached the ceasefire.

He booted them to specifically give the impression that he had a weapons program.

He said so himself.
FBI interviews detail Saddam Hussein's fear of Iran, WMD bluff

Hussein regarded the Iranian threat as so serious that it was the major factor in his decision not to allow United Nations weapons inspectors to return, he said. Citing their shared border and his belief Iran would intend to annex southern Iraq, Hussein said he was more concerned about Iran discovering Iraq's weaknesses than repercussions from the United States and the international community. He believed that the inspectors would have directly identified to the Iranians where to inflict maximum damage to Iraq.

He booted them to specifically give the impression that he had a weapons program.

He said so himself.

Hussein regarded the Iranian threat as so serious that it was the major factor in his decision not to allow United Nations weapons inspectors to return, he said. Citing their shared border and his belief Iran would intend to annex southern Iraq, Hussein said he was more concerned about Iran discovering Iraq's weaknesses than repercussions from the United States and the international community. He believed that the inspectors would have directly identified to the Iranians where to inflict maximum damage to Iraq.

Regarding the weapons inspectors being booted out by Saddam, what time frame are you addressing?
AP) U.N. weapons inspectors climbed aboard a plane and pulled out of Iraq on Tuesday after President Bush issued a final ultimatum for Saddam Hussein to step down or face war.

A plane carrying the inspectors took off from Saddam International Airport at 10:25 a.m. It landed an hour and a half later in Laranca, Cyprus where the inspectors have a base.

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan on Monday ordered all U.N. inspectors and support staff, humanitarian workers and U.N. observers along the Iraq-Kuwait border to evacuate Iraq after U.S. threats to launch war.
Weapons Inspectors Leave Iraq - CBS News
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/03/17/iraq/main544280.shtml

And,,,,
During the lead-up to war in March 2003, Hans Blix had found no stockpiles of WMD and had made significant progress toward resolving open issues of disarmament noting "proactive" but not always the "immediate" Iraqi cooperation as called for by UN Security Council Resolution 1441. He concluded that it would take “but months” to resolve the key remaining disarmament tasks.[4] The United States asserted this was a breach of Resolution 1441 but failed to convince the UN Security Council to pass a new resolution authorizing the use of force due to lack of evidence.[5][6][7] Despite being unable to get a new resolution authorizing force and citing section 3 of the Joint Resolution passed by the U.S. Congress,[8] President Bush asserted peaceful measures couldn't disarm Iraq of the weapons he alleged it to have and launched a second Gulf War.Iraq and weapons of mass destruction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So Missourian, when did Saddam kick out the weapons inspectors?
By the way,,,,thanks to you and Sallow for an interesting discussion.

Last edited:
Iraq never started a war with us.

So what, Iraq is gone as it was known, the world is better off.

Which world? There has been a great deal of regional instability because of the American invasion.

Are you willing to take in Iraqi refugees? Millions of them have poured into Jordan and Syria.

Why do you cherish and support homicidal, genocidal, oppressive dictators?

WTF is wrong with you?

He said so himself.

Regarding the weapons inspectors bing bpooted out by Saddam, what time frame are you addressing?
AP) U.N. weapons inspectors climbed aboard a plane and pulled out of Iraq on Tuesday after President Bush issued a final ultimatum for Saddam Hussein to step down or face war.

A plane carrying the inspectors took off from Saddam International Airport at 10:25 a.m. It landed an hour and a half later in Laranca, Cyprus where the inspectors have a base.

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan on Monday ordered all U.N. inspectors and support staff, humanitarian workers and U.N. observers along the Iraq-Kuwait border to evacuate Iraq after U.S. threats to launch war.

And,,,,
During the lead-up to war in March 2003, Hans Blix had found no stockpiles of WMD and had made significant progress toward resolving open issues of disarmament noting "proactive" but not always the "immediate" Iraqi cooperation as called for by UN Security Council Resolution 1441. He concluded that it would take “but months” to resolve the key remaining disarmament tasks.[4] The United States asserted this was a breach of Resolution 1441 but failed to convince the UN Security Council to pass a new resolution authorizing the use of force due to lack of evidence.[5][6][7] Despite being unable to get a new resolution authorizing force and citing section 3 of the Joint Resolution passed by the U.S. Congress,[8] President Bush asserted peaceful measures couldn't disarm Iraq of the weapons he alleged it to have and launched a second Gulf War.Iraq and weapons of mass destruction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From Wikipedia:

On September 12, 2002, U.S. President George W. Bush addressed the General Assembly and outlined a catalogue of complaints against the Iraqi government.[1] These included:

• "In violation of Security Council Resolution 1373, Iraq supports terrorist organizations that direct violence against Iran, Israel, and Western governments....And al-Qaida terrorists escaped from Afghanistan are known to be in Iraq."
  • The United Nations Commission on Human Rights in 2001 found "extremely grave" human rights violations
  • Iraqi production and use of weapons of mass destruction (biological weapons, chemical weapons, and long-range missiles), all in violation of U.N. resolutions.
  • Iraq used proceeds from the "oil for food" U.N. program to purchase weapons rather than food for its people.
  • Iraq flagrantly violated the terms of the weapons inspection program before discontinuing it altogether.
Following the speech, intensive negotiations began with other members of the Security Council. In particular, three permanent members (with veto power) of the Council were known to have misgivings about an invasion of Iraq: Russia, China, and France.

In the meantime, Iraq, while denying all charges, announced that it would permit the re-entry of United Nations arms inspectors into Iraq. The United States characterized this as a ploy by Iraq and continued to call for a Security Council resolution which would authorize the use of military force.

Iraq never started a war with us.

So what, Iraq is gone as it was known, the world is better off.

Which world? There has been a great deal of regional instability because of the American invasion.

Are you willing to take in Iraqi refugees? Millions of them have poured into Jordan and Syria.

We have been taking in Iraqi refugees for years.

I thought the instability was because we are fighting with our hands tied behind our backs, I am all for destroying all the tyrants of the world, takes time though, especially the educating the society part.

Regional instability, the Iranian-Iraq war, was the regional stability or are you referring to the invasion of Kuwait as the time of regional stability, maybe you mean gassing of the Kurds as being when the region was stable. What about during the Yemen war or perhaps after Israel declared itself a nation and Iraq went to war against Israel. So your saying there was a bit of stability somewhere in here that Americans upset. I should go on with the Arab wars, much more than I mentioned, and we upset the peace?

He said so himself.

Regarding the weapons inspectors bing bpooted out by Saddam, what time frame are you addressing?

And,,,,

From Wikipedia:

On September 12, 2002, U.S. President George W. Bush addressed the General Assembly and outlined a catalogue of complaints against the Iraqi government.[1] These included:

• "In violation of Security Council Resolution 1373, Iraq supports terrorist organizations that direct violence against Iran, Israel, and Western governments....And al-Qaida terrorists escaped from Afghanistan are known to be in Iraq."
  • The United Nations Commission on Human Rights in 2001 found "extremely grave" human rights violations
  • Iraqi production and use of weapons of mass destruction (biological weapons, chemical weapons, and long-range missiles), all in violation of U.N. resolutions.
  • Iraq used proceeds from the "oil for food" U.N. program to purchase weapons rather than food for its people.
  • Iraq flagrantly violated the terms of the weapons inspection program before discontinuing it altogether.
Following the speech, intensive negotiations began with other members of the Security Council. In particular, three permanent members (with veto power) of the Council were known to have misgivings about an invasion of Iraq: Russia, China, and France.

In the meantime, Iraq, while denying all charges, announced that it would permit the re-entry of United Nations arms inspectors into Iraq. The United States characterized this as a ploy by Iraq and continued to call for a Security Council resolution which would authorize the use of military force.

Thanks Missourian.
"Resolution 1441 stated that Iraq was in material breach of the ceasefire terms presented under the terms of Resolution 687. Iraq's breaches related not only to weapons of mass destruction (WMD), but also the known construction of prohibited types of missiles, the purchase and import of prohibited armaments, and the continuing refusal of Iraq to compensate Kuwait for the widespread looting conducted by its troops during the 1991 invasion and occupation. It also stated that "...false statements or omissions in the declarations submitted by Iraq pursuant to this resolution and failure by Iraq at any time to comply with, and cooperate fully in the implementation of, this resolution shall constitute a further material breach of Iraq's obligations."
United Nations Security Council Resolution 1441 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So 1441 had a error or two.
But your answer doesn't nail down a time when Saddam kicked out weapons inspectors.

Now I'll admit I was against invading Iraq, in my mind we should have never taken our eyes off of bin Laden or Afghanistan. I'm curious what the state of Afghanistan would be like today had the US been as focused with troops, materials and intelligence on Afghanistan as it did in respects to Iraq.

Forum List

Back