Iraq’s Insurgency Runs on Stolen Oil Profits

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By RICHARD A. OPPEL Jr.
Published: March 16, 2008

BAIJI, Iraq — The Baiji refinery, with its distillation towers rising against the Hamrin Mountains, may be the most important industrial site in the Sunni Arab-dominated regions of Iraq. On a good day, 500 tanker trucks will leave the refinery filled with fuel with a street value of $10 million.

The sea of oil under Iraq is supposed to rebuild the nation, then make it prosper. But at least one-third, and possibly much more, of the fuel from Iraq’s largest refinery here is diverted to the black market, according to American military officials. Tankers are hijacked, drivers are bribed, papers are forged and meters are manipulated — and some of the earnings go to insurgents who are still killing more than 100 Iraqis a week.

“It’s the money pit of the insurgency,” said Capt. Joe Da Silva, who commands several platoons stationed at the refinery.

more ... http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/16/w...decc2c35a7a7c1&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

And here all along I thought *we* were stealing it ... or s we keep being told.

So it's not the Americans stealing oil!? I'm so shocked!!
It's funny how people think we're stealing oil.

So it's not the Americans stealing oil!? I'm so shocked!!
It's funny how people think we're stealing oil.

They don't think we are. They just use the accusation as a political weapon. Think about it. Half the people you see on message boards couldn't possibly believe some of the crap they spew. They'd be locked up, or at least be missing most of their front teeth.

Ha ha...yeah. My favorite saying is the one where "America is raping the middle east."

Forum List

Back