Oil

I'm with ya. However, I find it laughable how the left thinks we as a country can be totally off oil in 20 years. That is such a joke.

Even if we go completely green which is impossible for us as a society at the moment it would take decades up decades to be totally off oil.

I am all for renewable energy, however in the process of PERFECTING renewable energy lets drill our own oil and put more R&D into Shale development and cut our imports drastically instead of giving our money to countries that hate us

I'm with ya. However, I find it laughable how the left thinks we as a country can be totally off oil in 20 years. That is such a joke.

Even if we go completely green which is impossible for us as a society at the moment it would take decades up decades to be totally off oil.

I am all for renewable energy, however in the process of PERFECTING renewable energy lets drill our own oil and put more R&D into Shale development and cut our imports drastically instead of giving our money to countries that hate us

I can agree with you on developing our oil, but only after we drain every last drop from the Middle East.

I also do not like the term "renewable energy", at least in regards to windmills, solar, and geothermal. the power plants used to capture the sun, wind, and geothermal are not renewable nor are they practicle.

It is a waste to use a strong power source to make a weak power source.

In Taft county we are using the waste steam from fossil fuel to loosen the oil keeping our oil fields in california the most productive in the nation. If our lousy RINO governor was not in the pocket of corporations and special interest he would put a couple of nukes on top the oil fields and use the steam created with green renewable nuclear energy.

2 years ago, Glenn Beck outed the best way we can get off foreign oil inside of 10 years.

Coal Gassification. A nice little piece of Third Reich tech that can be quite useful to us as well. It is profitable at gas prices equaling $1.60 a gallon. As long as we protect the industry from OPEC trying to chop the legs out from under it like it did successfully in the 80's, and 70's, we have a real chance of getting off foreign oil, starving out our enemies there, and freeing US politics from foreign influence of hostile nations.

Then there's the added benefit of increasing manufacturing, transportation, engineering and all sorts of other service industries related to these plants. This will do wonders for our nation's industrial health as a whole to boot. Decrease unemployment and provide tax revenues for the government.

A win/win/win/win/win/win scenario, all for the cost of insuring they will be protected for a certain period from anti-competitive tactics from other nations.

Peak oil is a myth created by political pandering, nihilistic philosophies and a desire to destroy western civilization by radical anti-humanists. We need to just take this head on and do it in spite of their protests.

Since I worked in Oil Refineries off and on for the past 15 years, the subject of availability has always gotten my attention, but there has always been common denominators to all Oil Discussions.

It always has amazed me that most people do not realize:

1. Oil is Underground.

2. It must be mined. This takes time, and LOTS of money.

3. Once its mined, it must be transported. This takes time, and LOTS of money

4. Once it is transported it must be Refined. This takes time, and lots of money

5. Once the Gasoline (or whatever product) is seperated from Oil, it must be distributed.

..........you guessed it....time and money.

Finally, people realize that it really doesn't matter how much oil you find if you cannot mine it, transport it, refine it, and distribute the products.

Canada's Oil Sands contain more Oil than Saudi, the Green River Oil Shales contain huge deposites of oil, and the North Dakota Field is a Great Discovery.

The Canadians are producing, but cannot find pipeline/refining capacity to maximize production so that economies of scale can be achieved. If they cannot do this, then economy of scale is even more difficult for anyone wishing to develope the Green River Shale.

The FIRST major problem for North Dakota production is the lack of an oil pipeline capable of transporting the production. The second problem is that there is no nearby refinery or storage facility that has the capacity to use the crude.

Last edited:
Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the largest untapped oil reserve in the world. It is more than 2 TRILLION barrels.

That would be like a small creature living on the surface of an orange, and discovering that just a little ways below the peel, there was enough orange juice to last for 100,000,000,000 years!

Yaah, we are a lot like medflys.

We'll suck the ME dry of oil until they're back to their two major industries: sand and camels

Last edited:
We'll suck the ME dry of oil until their back to their two major industries: sand and camels

No, unlike the USA, the Kingdoms don't need to operate with 4 year election cycles.

They are able to plan for future generations.

They are already developing other industries that will replace energy production.

The USA, on the other hand, will simply print more money so people can buy more expensive gasoline.

If we get off foreign oil what will big oil do with their supertankers? Who will be in bed with Hugo on oil deals? Why would we NEED to protect the Joos?

O.R., a half billion barrels isn't chump change. "Minor producers" add up. Your quoted article does shed new light on the subject but I don't think it exactly trivializes the project.

Still- nothing wrong with doing a little forward-thinking, and getting a windmill for the ol' ranch house..

500,000,000 is NOTHING. It is not enough to cook on a stove for your family, and keep warm, for a full month. Do you understand that, Mr H? It is NOTHING.

Even if we do find a few trillion.. It is still barely enough to keep afloat with.
First off, after you do the cost-benefit analysis on your windmill, you'll see it's not economically viable. Unless you like the idea of a 15-20 year payout. By that time you've also repaired/replaced almost everything related to it.

Secondly, 500 MILLION is not "nothing." Have you any grasp how much oil a barrel of oil is? Have you any grasp at all of what a trillion of something is? A million of something?

Third, the first thing we should do is stop EXPORTING our domestic crude. Yes that's right -- it shocks most folks to find out we are #17 in the world in oil EXPORTS.
we have more oil in shale deposits then all of the middle east combined...

Sure, but the quality of the Oil in the Middle East is far superior, that is why we are not devoloping our oil.
There is no difference in the "quality." Both are sweet crude. The difference is, cost. The middle east doesn't have an EPA, for starters. It's far, far cheaper to ship in crude oil than it is to take it out of domestic ground.

If we get off foreign oil what will big oil do with their supertankers? Who will be in bed with Hugo on oil deals? Why would we NEED to protect the Joos?

I hate to burst your Conspiratoral Bubble, but if any of your outrageous theories have even a kernal of credability, then Environmentalists are the best friends of "big oil."

But, I recon even this absurdity isn't too ridiculous for you to imagine.

I hate to burst your Conspiratoral Bubble, but if any of your outrageous theories have even a kernal of credability, then Environmentalists are the best friends of "big oil."

As I have said for years. Environutz are the inadvertant best friends of big oil.

It is a good thing environuts fought offshore drilling off of FL and CA or the right wing would have had to come out of hiding and do it themselves.

Opposing new refineries just made more profit for big oil.

I am a realist.

As I have said for years. Environutz are the inadvertant best friends of big oil.

It is a good thing environuts fought offshore drilling off of FL and CA or the right wing would have had to come out of hiding and do it themselves.

I am a realist.

I suppose that the possibility that "big oil" might simply decide NOT to develop offshore oil regardless of what environmentalists do is Wildly Improbable.:rolleyes:

The reason companies want to open FL and CA offshore oil is so they can buy the "mineral rights" TODAY, while they are cheap compared to the future cost. Producing Oil and Murdering Sealife is a distant option.

I am a realist.

I suppose that the possibility that "big oil" might simply decide NOT to develop offshore oil regardless of what environmentalists do is Wildly Improbable.:rolleyes:

The reason companies want to open FL and CA offshore oil is so they can buy the "mineral rights" TODAY, while they are cheap compared to the future cost. Producing Oil and Murdering Sealife is a distant option.

imho Oil leases should expire within a reasonable amount of time if not drilled/utilized.

I am a realist.

imho Oil leases should expire within a reasonable amount of time if not drilled/utilized.

They could: then the speculation would be more risky, a cost that would be reflected in the loan that "big oil" would recieve from "big bank," who borrows from "big Government." who .....

********drumroll please.....******

sold the lease.:cool:

O.R., a half billion barrels isn't chump change. "Minor producers" add up. Your quoted article does shed new light on the subject but I don't think it exactly trivializes the project.

Still- nothing wrong with doing a little forward-thinking, and getting a windmill for the ol' ranch house..

500,000,000 is NOTHING. It is not enough to cook on a stove for your family, and keep warm, for a full month. Do you understand that, Mr H? It is NOTHING.

Even if we do find a few trillion.. It is still barely enough to keep afloat with.
First off, after you do the cost-benefit analysis on your windmill, you'll see it's not economically viable. Unless you like the idea of a 15-20 year payout. By that time you've also repaired/replaced almost everything related to it.

Secondly, 500 MILLION is not "nothing." Have you any grasp how much oil a barrel of oil is? Have you any grasp at all of what a trillion of something is? A million of something?

Third, the first thing we should do is stop EXPORTING our domestic crude. Yes that's right -- it shocks most folks to find out we are #17 in the world in oil EXPORTS.
we have more oil in shale deposits then all of the middle east combined...

Sure, but the quality of the Oil in the Middle East is far superior, that is why we are not devoloping our oil.
There is no difference in the "quality." Both are sweet crude. The difference is, cost. The middle east doesn't have an EPA, for starters. It's far, far cheaper to ship in crude oil than it is to take it out of domestic ground.
The cost, according to one source I talked with last week of pulling oil out of the desert or Canadian Tar Sands is a difference of 10 to 1 as compared to pulling it out of Texas. We have a large amount of capped wells that have been made unprofitable due to many factors from basic geology to government interference. Make it profitable for them to work again, and you will see domestic oil industry flourish.

Other nations also know this and will drop their prices to prevent us from making it easier and therefore keep the junkie on the hook. With Canada, this isn't quite so bad a thing. With far east sources (which aren't as much as you may think) it's much worse.

So, although we won't get around the physical obstacles (Thick bedrock, and 1000 foot deep sea floors are harder to deal with than a thin layer of sand over oceans of oil) we can drop government regulation and business hindrance issues.

This is also one area where I'd like to go a step farther and add a tariff to foreign oil producing nations equal to their government subsidies and tax breaks (except for maybe Canada, Great Britain, Norway and Mexico). This would not be just dropped into government coffers, but used to cut the federal gas tax so it remains revenue neutral, or dropped into the highway fund for use on roads and bridges.

Remember, before the income tax, the feds made most of its money off of tariffs on foreign goods. I just feel they should be judiciously used to protect American industry against unfair advantage (foreign govt subsidies and tax breaks).

500,000,000 bbl of oil isn't much. Certainly, it wouldn't last long enough to justify building any new refining capacity.

A large Oil Refinery (ExxonMobil, Baton Rouge, LA) refines about 500,000 bbl/day

500,000,000 bbl would last this ONE refinery 1,000 days = less than 3 years

We import a lot of our fuel in refined form.

Yes, I'd agree this is probably true since EPA and OSHA makes refining fuel in the USA more costly.

My guess is Mexico refines most of the USA's finished fuels.
And that really helps the planet doesn't it?:lol::lol::lol:

Everything the EPA and government in general does to "help" actually hurts the planet, for some odd reason.

Forum List

Back