Investigation against Rush ends

Bonnie said:
Not yet, (under investigation though)... however neither was Rush when he admitted his addiction.

True re Rush, but he did cop a plea. She hasn't. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out with Hillary. Her and Bill's financial dealings have been a bit of a worry over the years. Still, they have never been found guilty of anything in that regard.

GotZoom said:
Here it is: The damning evidence:

-------

However, the single charge only alleges that Limbaugh illegally obtained about 40 pills, said Mike Edmondson, a state attorney's spokesman. He would not elaborate or explain why prosecutors scaled back the case.

-------

From: http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/05/01/D8HB3LC05.html

According to the news he plead not guilty, and the plea was for the prosecution to drop the case. In 18 months if he remains clean all charges will be completely expunged.
Also the prosecutor raided priveledged records which the Fla court deemed legal but highly unethical.

Bonnie said:
According to the news he plead not guilty, and the plea was for the prosecution to drop the case. In 18 months if he remains clean all charges will be completely expunged.
Also the prosecutor raided priveledged records which the Fla court deemed legal but highly unethical.

I find it amusing that the only charge they filed was for 40 pills considering:

-----

Palm Beach County prosecutors rejected an overture in 2004 from Rush Limbaugh's attorneys that would have allowed the nation's top talkshow host to enter drug rehabilitation, rather than face criminal charges for prescription drug abuse.

Prosecutors, at the time, claimed they had evidence that Limbaugh committed at least 10 felonies!

It now appears James Martz, the prosecutor who headed the investigation into Limbaugh's prescription drug use, was bluffing when he said that medical records "indicate evidence that would support in excess of 10 felony counts for violations."

Prosecutors said Limbaugh, in any deal, would have to plead guilty to doctor shopping, a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

[Prosecutors also suggested at the time that Limbaugh may have been involved in illegal money laundering.]

In an anticlimactic Florida finish, Limbaugh today will respond that he is "not guilty" of a single charge of fraud for concealing information to obtain a prescription -- and in 18 months the charge will be dropped and the record expunged.

The single charge only alleges that Limbaugh illegally obtained about 40 pills, said Mike Edmondson, a state attorney's spokesman. He would not elaborate or explain why prosecutors scaled back the case.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash2rl.htm

GotZoom said:

-----

Palm Beach County prosecutors rejected an overture in 2004 from Rush Limbaugh's attorneys that would have allowed the nation's top talkshow host to enter drug rehabilitation, rather than face criminal charges for prescription drug abuse.

Prosecutors, at the time, claimed they had evidence that Limbaugh committed at least 10 felonies!

It now appears James Martz, the prosecutor who headed the investigation into Limbaugh's prescription drug use, was bluffing when he said that medical records "indicate evidence that would support in excess of 10 felony counts for violations."

Prosecutors said Limbaugh, in any deal, would have to plead guilty to doctor shopping, a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

[Prosecutors also suggested at the time that Limbaugh may have been involved in illegal money laundering.]

In an anticlimactic Florida finish, Limbaugh today will respond that he is "not guilty" of a single charge of fraud for concealing information to obtain a prescription -- and in 18 months the charge will be dropped and the record expunged.

The single charge only alleges that Limbaugh illegally obtained about 40 pills, said Mike Edmondson, a state attorney's spokesman. He would not elaborate or explain why prosecutors scaled back the case.

ACD isn't an unusual sentence for a first offense. And let's not forget, Rush also agreed to pay back the cost of the investigation and goes to jail if he doesn't stay in rehab. And I suspect there are more accurate takes on it than anything offered by Drudge.

jillian said:
ACD isn't an unusual sentence for a first offense. And let's not forget, Rush also agreed to pay back the cost of the investigation and goes to jail if he doesn't stay in rehab. And I suspect there are more accurate takes on it than anything offered by Drudge.

I guess you don't know that Drudge just reports what other news outlets report.

That's ok.

http://sandiego.indymedia.org/es/2004/01/102742.shtml

jillian said:
You implied that he just came out and admitted it. There was a bit of self-interest in the timing.

Your point in raising Hillary in response to Rush's being a junkie?

I never said Rush just came out an admitted it, I said he came clean, and he detoxed.

My point about Hillary is fairly obvious, she is under investigation for illegal campaign fund raising, and was under investigation for insider trading and other illegalities tied to Rose law Firm, not to mention umpteen scandals regarding the whitehouse travel office etc.

Im not hearing any apologies from her. And if you really want to say only Rush should be held accountable for his fall from grace then I guess many liberal politicans and celebrities that pass moral judgements on society daily, and have skeletons in their closets , get a pass from you?

Bonnie said:
I never said Rush just came out an admitted it, I said he came clean, and he detoxed.

My point about Hillary is fairly obvious, she is under investigation for illegal campaign fund raising, and was under investigation for insider trading and other illegalities tied to Rose law Firm, not to mention umpteen scandals regarding the whitehouse travel office etc.

Im not hearing any apologies from her. And if you really want to say only Rush should be held accountable for his fall from grace then I guess many liberal politicans and celebrities that pass moral judgements on society daily, and have skeletons in their closets , get a pass from you?

Why would she apologize for something she's been harassed about since the day the Repubs took over the Congress? I said Rush should get what he wished others. Has nothing to do with what anyone else has done....his self-serving change of heart notwithstanding.

I don't much like Hillary, btw. But in case you haven't noticed, she hasn't worked for the Rose firm since 1992, or thereabouts. I'm fairly certain that anything that occurred during her time there (where, btw, she was one of the top 100 attorneys in the country, even before Bill became president) is both barred from prosecution by statute of limitations and was fairly well gone over by Kenny Starr who found nothing.

GotZoom said:

-----

Rush Limbaugh 'Arrest' Reports Were Bogus

Breaking From NewsMax.com

All weekend long news broadcasts were filled with reports that talk radio host Rush Limbaugh had been "arrested" on charges of doctor shopping as part of a plea bargain worked out with his lawyer.

But - as even the liberal newsmagazine, Newsweek, admitted - the "arrest" reports were bogus.

"LIMBAUGH ARRESTED was the immediate headline on the wires and on TV," the magazine said in Monday's edition. "But the word 'arrest' was misleading."

"In fact, Limbaugh had pleaded not guilty, and his lawyer had worked out a deal that would cause the single charge to be dropped after 18 months as long as Limbaugh stayed out of trouble and continued to see a doctor who has helped him with an addiction to painkillers."

[Editor's Note: Get NewsMax's Special Report "Rush Is Back" -- that first detailed the media's effort to torpedo America's most listened to radio host -- read more -- Go Here Now.]

Still, the rest of the press did its level best to portray Limbaugh's voluntary trip to the Palm Beach County jail for a mugshot as if John Dillinger had just been apprehended.

"RUSH LIMBAUGH ARRESTED ON PRESCRIPTION DRUG CHARGE," blared the CNN headline Friday night.

ABC's "World News Tonight" began its coverage of the Limbaugh case dismissal with Elizabeth Vargas announcing: "Rush Limbaugh, one of the most popular and influential radio talk show hosts in America, was arrested in West Palm Beach today. The charges involve allegations of prescription drug fraud."

The actual mugshot belied the "arrest," reports, showing a beaming Limbaugh clearly delighted over finally winning his case.

Other reporters went out of their way to paint the talk host as a common street drug user, noting a 1995 statement where Limbaugh said he favored jail for illegal drug users.

Newsweek was one of the few to note that the top talker's addiction had nothing to do with recreational drug use - but was instead prompted by intense back pain.

"Limbaugh's drug problems began after he made a medical choice to try to preserve his radio voice . . . . The doctors wanted to go in through the back of his mouth, but Limbaugh was worried about his vocal cords. A different procedure was performed, and Limbaugh's suffering did not go away. He began to take pain pills in ever-larger numbers."

The prosecutor's office leaked claims to the press that Limbaugh took thousands of pills -- suggesting not only a severe addiction but that Rush was manipulating his doctors -- "doctor shopping" -- to abuse his medications.

But Rush's medical records, ones turned over to state prosecutors, showed that the doctor shopping claim was a sham.

In July of 2005, Black detailed Rush's use of prescription drugs as detailed in his medical records:

"The prescription records that are in the search warrant affidavits should be put in perspective. Of the 2,130 pills prescribed, only 1,863 were painkillers, and of those only 1,733 were for hydrocodone. These were to be taken over a period of 217 days, from the date of the first prescription until 30 days from the date of the last prescription. The dose averages out to a little over eight pills a day, which is not excessive and is in fact a lawful dose.

"Ninety-two percent of the pain medication was prescribed by two doctors who were treating Mr. Limbaugh for back pain. They work in the same office from the same medical file, and there could be no doctor shopping between them. One of these doctors also prescribed 117 pills of a drug used to treat high blood pressure or to help wean patients off of painkillers.

"The other two doctors are the California surgeon who implanted the cochlear implant to restore Mr. Limbaugh's hearing and a Florida doctor he was seeing for follow up on the surgery. Of the 180 pills prescribed by the surgeon, 100 were vitamin pills. Of the 110 pills prescribed by the fourth doctor, 50 were non-painkillers prescribed for tinnitus, ringing in the ears.

"The bottom line is that these prescription records might tell a story, but it is not a story of doctor shopping. We continue to believe that Mr. Limbaugh is being pursued by overzealous prosecutors and that he should not be charged with any crime."

In fact, when news of the conservative talker's pain pill addiction first hit the National Enquirer in Oct. 2003, Palm Beach County prosecutor James Martz said going after low-level prescription drug users like Limbaugh was a waste of time.

Still, his office pursued the case as if they were prosecuting the Cali cartel.

Friday's dismissal showed that Martz had it right the first time.

Shrugs..

Bonnie...And if you really want to say only Rush should be held accountable for his fall from grace then I guess many liberal politicans and celebrities that pass moral judgements on society daily, and have skeletons in their closets , get a pass from you?

Jillian that was my point. which you completely ignored..Im not holding my breath on Hillary or any other corrupt politician coming clean whether a target or not, but Rush at least did that much. Is it only liberals on their high horse that get your admiration?

Bonnie said:
Jillian that was my point. which you completely ignored..Im not holding my breath on Hillary or any other corrupt politician coming clean whether a target or not, but Rush at least did that much. Is it only liberals on their high horse that get your admiration?

Cause your "point" was a red-herring.

BTW, there are conservatives I admire just fine. Bet you can't name a "liberal" who you respect, though.

And btw, the terms "liberal" and "democrat" are not necessarily interchangeable.

jillian said:
Cause your "point" was a red-herring.

BTW, there are conservatives I admire just fine. Bet you can't name a "liberal" who you respect, though.

And btw, the terms "liberal" and "democrat" are not necessarily interchangeable.

Red Herring? Well in that case I will assume that you always hold liberals or whomever you admire to the same standards when they fall from grace as you do for people like Rush then?

Liberals I admire ..Joe Lieberman, Alan Colmes, Patrick Moynahan, Bob Beckel, Ed Koch, Bono, Rudy Guiliani, Tammy Bruce, Former Senator Ben Casey.....more

And you??

Bonnie said:
Red Herring? Well in that case I will assume that you always hold liberals or whomever you admire to the same standards when they fall from grace as you do for people like Rush then?

Liberals I admire ..Joe Lieberman, Alan Colmes, Patrick Moynahan, Bob Beckel, Ed Koch, Bono, Rudy Guiliani, Tammy Bruce, Former Senator Ben Casey.....more

And you??

Arlen Spector, Rudy Guiliani (though he's a moderate, not a liberal), Phil Gramm, Michael Bloomberg (though he's admittedly practically a dem), Al D'Amato (for all his umm...personal issues, Sen. Pothole did a good job for his constituents), John McCain (except when he shills for the extremists so he can run for president), Colin Powell (who I would have voted for for president in a NY minute), Chris Shays, Christie Whitman, Thomas Keane,.

Alan Colmes is a milquetoast who signed a contract agreeing to never disagree directly with Sean Hannity, but only with their guests.

And I mostly lean toward moderate dems like Joe Biden and have little patience for the DNC Chair....

Ed Koch was a pretty conservative mayor, btw. And he's gotten waaaaay conservative since he's retired.

Bono is kind of universal because he mostly stays out of mainstream political issues so he can focus on the things that are important to him.

Oh...and Joe Lieberman may as well be a republican. :)

jillian said:
Chicken or the egg...I think the genesis goes squarely to the doorsteps of Rush and Annie-girl Coulter and the like.

:wtf: Don't get out much? Or do you just pay attention to one side as it suits your politics? Rush and Coulter are relatively new at the game, considering the MSM has had a left-wing bias at least since Walter uttered the infamous, loserly "We can't win."

I do believe you meant "Democrat". Thanks :)

I meant "DemoCRAP," and THAT is being nice, thanks. The current version of which is the shame of what once was a proud political party that stood FOR something, not "for" whatever goes against anything conservatives/Republicans want.

And might be, but as I said earlier...had it been a dem, they wouldn't have spent their careers spouting off about putting addicts in jail. So they wouldn't have been asking for a different standard to be applied to them than would have been applied to anyone else.

You do see the hypocrisy in Rush's position, right?

What I see is the out-of-context slant you left-leaners are trying to put on him. Obviously the difference between those that traffic in illegal drugs and/or are addicted to them and those that become addicted to drugs handed to them by doctors is one of those "minor details" you lefties choose to ignore in your argument.

I don't recall once hearing of him stating that people inadvertently addicted to drugs for legitimate medical reasons should be thrown in jail. Only in the context of illegal drug users.

But what are "context" and/or "intent" to the witchhunters on the left?

It appears to me Rush is paying for his crime; which, is far more than the last Demo Prez did, now isn't it?

Forum List

Back