Intolerance? Guess It Depends On What One Is Asking For

Great post here, it's not from the 'right':

Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » DENIED: Bigotry of the Obamatrons

DENIED: Bigotry of the Obamatrons
by Charles Winecoff

Recently, at the office (a place I sometimes affectionately refer to as Obama Central), I made the mistake of printing out a Washington Post editorial that questioned the foreign policy expertise of our new Commander-in-Chief. By the time I got to the printer to pick it up, someone else had already seen it - and stamped “DENIED” across the top of the page in red ink. Next to that was scrawled, “RIGHT WINGER GO HOME.”

The first thing that went through my mind was: cross burnings. The second was: children are evil (my workplace is overrun by hundreds of twentysomethings).

I tried to be rational. Whoever defaced the page had no way of knowing who had printed it out - just as I had no idea who the defacer was - so it wasn’t personal. Still, it was hurtful.

And it was bigoted. The defacer didn’t know anything about me - my political affilitation, my sex, my race, nothing. Die hard Democrats read mainstream editorials, don’t they? So much for the good will of Dave Matthews’s “American Prayer” starring Idi Amin and Perez Hilton - and Michael Moore’s patronizing, post-Election email exhorting his followers to be kind to their Republican friends (as if they have any).

I’ve been the object of hate before. As a teenager, holding my black boyfriend’s hand in Greenwich Village, a truck swerved to hit us while we waited to cross the street. To be honest, I prefer that kind of hate. It’s direct, out in the open, and in response to an action - in that case, our hand-holding - not in response to a thought. Had I committed a hate crime without realizing it?

As I headed back to my office, images of the Ku Klux Klan, going after people they didn’t know in the middle of the night, raced across my brain. Then I had to stop myself. And chuckle. There was no comparison.

But my gut kept telling me there was. Whoever stamped ”DENIED” across my document clearly felt justified in defacing it. Though petty, this was a hostile act - another tiny blow in the insidious war on free thought. And one thing I’ve noticed in the stifling PC smog of LA: the Obama generation doesn’t think twice about openly ridiculing folks who don’t follow in lockstep. They’re still acting like there’s a Texan in the White House. They can’t let go. They don’t want to. Because, like the believers of a certain 7th century ideology that’s made a big comeback in recent years, their objective is not, despite claims to the contrary, to coexist. To quote Obama advisor Valerie Jarrett, it’s “to rule.”

Instead of gossiping at the water cooler, today’s privileged jugend hover in packs around TV monitors to mock the usual suspects - poor old Sarah Palin, the Tea Partiers, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Miss California (chivalry is deader than dead). Together, they telegraph their warning to anyone who might disagree: don’t.

They believe Loose Change is an important documentary, Al Franken a natural for the Senate, and Arlen Specter a hero. They judge people not for their principles or achievements, but by the letter that comes after their name. The one coworker I saw who dared walk the Yes We Can-festooned halls in a McCain T-shirt last fall got singled out by a supervisor (”Are you serious?”). The answer? Of course not - the tee had been donned as a joke.....

and if you don't believe the above article....well, just read this board!

So a couple of big fans of something don't play nice with someone who disagree with them, forget politics for a minute, how the hell is this news?

Who gets to decide what is news?

Good question.

Let's change the scenario, let's say the man's office was filled with big fans of a band, doesn't matter which, now let's say he printed out an article blasting the band and an equally offensive comment was put on it. Would it have made the news?

Seriously 'man treated rudely by Obama fans' is hardly news. For god sakes you'll find ruder comments between sports rivals.

So a couple of big fans of something don't play nice with someone who disagree with them, forget politics for a minute, how the hell is this news?

Good question.

Let's change the scenario, let's say the man's office was filled with big fans of a band, doesn't matter which, now let's say he printed out an article blasting the band and an equally offensive comment was put on it. Would it have made the news?

Seriously 'man treated rudely by Obama fans' is hardly news. For god sakes you'll find ruder comments between sports rivals.

Why? because it's commonplace and you agree with it? Most likely scenario.. and ftr bands and politics are not in the same fruit basket..

Good question.

Why? because it's commonplace and you agree with it? Most likely scenario.. and ftr bands and politics are not in the same fruit basket..

I wouldn't expect 'dem treated rudely by republicans' to be in the news either. A person being treated rudely by coworkers alone is not newsworthy in my opinion. I sincerely doubt the man's coworkers will ever try to make good on 'right winger go home'. If they do then it'll be newsworthy, but for now I see this as seriously as a Yankees fan proclaiming 'Red Sox go home'.

great post here, it's not from the 'right':

big hollywood » blog archive » denied: Bigotry of the obamatrons

denied: Bigotry of the obamatrons
by charles winecoff

recently, at the office (a place i sometimes affectionately refer to as obama central), i made the mistake of printing out a washington post editorial that questioned the foreign policy expertise of our new commander-in-chief. By the time i got to the printer to pick it up, someone else had already seen it - and stamped “denied” across the top of the page in red ink. Next to that was scrawled, “right winger go home.”

the first thing that went through my mind was: Cross burnings. The second was: Children are evil (my workplace is overrun by hundreds of twentysomethings).

I tried to be rational. Whoever defaced the page had no way of knowing who had printed it out - just as i had no idea who the defacer was - so it wasn’t personal. Still, it was hurtful.

And it was bigoted. The defacer didn’t know anything about me - my political affilitation, my sex, my race, nothing. Die hard democrats read mainstream editorials, don’t they? So much for the good will of dave matthews’s “american prayer” starring idi amin and perez hilton - and michael moore’s patronizing, post-election email exhorting his followers to be kind to their republican friends (as if they have any).

I’ve been the object of hate before. As a teenager, holding my black boyfriend’s hand in greenwich village, a truck swerved to hit us while we waited to cross the street. To be honest, i prefer that kind of hate. It’s direct, out in the open, and in response to an action - in that case, our hand-holding - not in response to a thought. Had i committed a hate crime without realizing it?

As i headed back to my office, images of the ku klux klan, going after people they didn’t know in the middle of the night, raced across my brain. Then i had to stop myself. And chuckle. There was no comparison.

But my gut kept telling me there was. Whoever stamped ”denied” across my document clearly felt justified in defacing it. Though petty, this was a hostile act - another tiny blow in the insidious war on free thought. And one thing i’ve noticed in the stifling pc smog of la: The obama generation doesn’t think twice about openly ridiculing folks who don’t follow in lockstep. They’re still acting like there’s a texan in the white house. They can’t let go. They don’t want to. Because, like the believers of a certain 7th century ideology that’s made a big comeback in recent years, their objective is not, despite claims to the contrary, to coexist. To quote obama advisor valerie jarrett, it’s “to rule.”

instead of gossiping at the water cooler, today’s privileged jugend hover in packs around tv monitors to mock the usual suspects - poor old sarah palin, the tea partiers, elisabeth hasselbeck, miss california (chivalry is deader than dead). Together, they telegraph their warning to anyone who might disagree: Don’t.

They believe loose change is an important documentary, al franken a natural for the senate, and arlen specter a hero. They judge people not for their principles or achievements, but by the letter that comes after their name. The one coworker i saw who dared walk the yes we can-festooned halls in a mccain t-shirt last fall got singled out by a supervisor (”are you serious?”). The answer? Of course not - the tee had been donned as a joke.....

and if you don't believe the above article....well, just read this board!

owned!

by Charles Winecoff

Recently, at the office (a place I sometimes affectionately refer to as Obama Central), I made the mistake of printing out a Washington Post editorial that questioned the foreign policy expertise of our new Commander-in-Chief. By the time I got to the printer to pick it up, someone else had already seen it - and stamped “DENIED” across the top of the page in red ink. Next to that was scrawled, “RIGHT WINGER GO HOME.”

The first thing that went through my mind was: cross burnings. The second was: children are evil (my workplace is overrun by hundreds of twentysomethings).

I tried to be rational. Whoever defaced the page had no way of knowing who had printed it out - just as I had no idea who the defacer was - so it wasn’t personal. Still, it was hurtful.

And it was bigoted. The defacer didn’t know anything about me - my political affilitation, my sex, my race, nothing. Die hard Democrats read mainstream editorials, don’t they? So much for the good will of Dave Matthews’s “American Prayer” starring Idi Amin and Perez Hilton - and Michael Moore’s patronizing, post-Election email exhorting his followers to be kind to their Republican friends (as if they have any).

I’ve been the object of hate before. As a teenager, holding my black boyfriend’s hand in Greenwich Village, a truck swerved to hit us while we waited to cross the street. To be honest, I prefer that kind of hate. It’s direct, out in the open, and in response to an action - in that case, our hand-holding - not in response to a thought. Had I committed a hate crime without realizing it?

As I headed back to my office, images of the Ku Klux Klan, going after people they didn’t know in the middle of the night, raced across my brain. Then I had to stop myself. And chuckle. There was no comparison.

But my gut kept telling me there was. Whoever stamped ”DENIED” across my document clearly felt justified in defacing it. Though petty, this was a hostile act - another tiny blow in the insidious war on free thought. And one thing I’ve noticed in the stifling PC smog of LA: the Obama generation doesn’t think twice about openly ridiculing folks who don’t follow in lockstep. They’re still acting like there’s a Texan in the White House. They can’t let go. They don’t want to. Because, like the believers of a certain 7th century ideology that’s made a big comeback in recent years, their objective is not, despite claims to the contrary, to coexist. To quote Obama advisor Valerie Jarrett, it’s “to rule.”

Instead of gossiping at the water cooler, today’s privileged jugend hover in packs around TV monitors to mock the usual suspects - poor old Sarah Palin, the Tea Partiers, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Miss California (chivalry is deader than dead). Together, they telegraph their warning to anyone who might disagree: don’t.

They believe Loose Change is an important documentary, Al Franken a natural for the Senate, and Arlen Specter a hero. They judge people not for their principles or achievements, but by the letter that comes after their name. The one coworker I saw who dared walk the Yes We Can-festooned halls in a McCain T-shirt last fall got singled out by a supervisor (”Are you serious?”). The answer? Of course not - the tee had been donned as a joke.....

You know why rightwingers like kathiane post these alleged stories of dubious authenticity?

Because this kind of stuff NEVER actually happens to kathinne or other wingnuts in their real lives. But, they are sure that somehow, somewhere, there are cultish Obama Nazis fiendishly making life a living hell for former Bush supporters. Why? Because Rush Limbaugh told Kathianne so. So, even if it doesn’t happen in their own lives, the kathianee righwing fringe of the GOP is sure it is happening somewhere.

This story has the classic hallmarks of being embellished. Some one ran to find a red stamp that said “denied” and ran back to the copy machine to stamp the paper? :lol: LOL. Sounds made up.

I’ve never seen any behaviour like this in my office, and neither has kathianne.

But one thing we can be sure of. Rightwing bloggers, and rightwing partisans are prone to embellishing stories, and making up stuff out of whole cloth to prove a rightwing talking point:……………..

Not attacked by a scary black Obama-supporter:
1023_female_bruised_2.jpg

Not a real plumber; not buying a company worth $250k:
400f5522-b731-4229-9c8e-272b105082fd.jpg

by Charles Winecoff

You know why rightwingers like kathiane post these alleged stories of dubious authenticity?

Because this kind of stuff NEVER actually happens to kathinne or other wingnuts in their real lives. But, they are sure that somehow, somewhere, there are cultish Obama Nazis fiendishly making life a living hell for former Bush supporters. Why? Because Rush Limbaugh told Kathianne so. So, even if it doesn’t happen in their own lives, the kathianee righwing fringe of the GOP is sure it is happening somewhere.

This story has the classic hallmarks of being embellished. Some one ran to find a red stamp that said “denied” and ran back to the copy machine to stamp the paper? :lol: LOL. Sounds made up.

I’ve never seen any behaviour like this in my office, and neither has kathianne.

But one thing we can be sure of. Rightwing bloggers, and rightwing partisans are prone to embellishing stories, and making up stuff out of whole cloth to prove a rightwing talking point:……………..

yeah, and the bitch was exposed and was condemned as a liar by every conservative i know

and Joe WAS a plumber and it doesnt matter if he was buying the company or not, it was a hypothetical question you fucking hypocrite

To be honest - this sounds a lot more like sour grapes then genuine intolerance. There's a lot to be read between the lines about the author's own not-so-hidden bias.

Ya cause well a right winger would work there , right? You people are amazing. Editec claims that someone researching something is being told not to WRITE something, when it was not that at all. A copy of an article at a copier is NOT a story submission to an editor.

You are claiming that the person doing the research was somehow secretly a right winger.

You fit right in with the intolerant assholes from the left around here.

You're totally missing the point in your ranting. Calm down and get over the persecution complex.

The article itself is littered with linguistic and emotion-laden red flags that indicates a pretty strong bias on the part of the author, so strong in fact I wonder if some of it is fictional?

Oh poor pitiful me!

I hate to point this out, but it takes all of 10 seconds to print something, who walks away and leaves that?
most companies have shared printers
so its likely the printer wasnt close to him and in the time it took for him to print and go pick it up, someone defaced it
pretty lame if you ask me

To be honest - this sounds a lot more like sour grapes then genuine intolerance. There's a lot to be read between the lines about the author's own not-so-hidden bias.

Ya cause well a right winger would work there , right? You people are amazing. Editec claims that someone researching something is being told not to WRITE something, when it was not that at all. A copy of an article at a copier is NOT a story submission to an editor.

You are claiming that the person doing the research was somehow secretly a right winger.

You're totally missing the point in your ranting. Calm down and get over the persecution complex.

The article itself is littered with linguistic and emotion-laden red flags that indicates a pretty strong bias on the part of the author, so strong in fact I wonder if some of it is fictional?

Oh poor pitiful me!
that doesnt dismiss the point he was making

Ever been to daily KosMoveon.org or Huffingtonpost? Read it with an honest eye if you can and then tell me that those people aren't the biggest hate mongers on the web and that most of them all but worship the ground Obama walks on. It's freaking distrubing. I've been into politics for more than forty years and I've never seen anything in this country that comes close to the Idolatry many of those on the left give Obama and their flat out refusal to even try to coherently defend policies rather than attack those who disagree with said policies.

There are some pretty nasty hate mongering rightwing sites too.

It amazes me how blind people can be to their own ideological extremists.

Oh poor pitiful me!

It does if the point was fiction. The use of such language detracts strongly from the point and brings to question the author's own not-so-hidden bias that might be coloring the "facts".

I have my doubts - not that ideologues of the right and left can be rude and intolerant, but that this particular example is all it appears to be.

Ever been to daily KosMoveon.org or Huffingtonpost? Read it with an honest eye if you can and then tell me that those people aren't the biggest hate mongers on the web and that most of them all but worship the ground Obama walks on. It's freaking distrubing. I've been into politics for more than forty years and I've never seen anything in this country that comes close to the Idolatry many of those on the left give Obama and their flat out refusal to even try to coherently defend policies rather than attack those who disagree with said policies.

yeah, there are hate sites on all political spectrums

Oh poor pitiful me!

It does if the point was fiction. The use of such language detracts strongly from the point and brings to question the author's own not-so-hidden bias that might be coloring the "facts".

I have my doubts - not that ideologues of the right and left can be rude and intolerant, but that this particular example is all it appears to be.
i am a conservative, there is no way i would deface something one of my co-workers had printed even if i found it objectionable

maybe i just have a greater respect for my co-workers than you do

by Charles Winecoff

ROFLMNAO...

Well, if it IS made up... it has sparked a dozen demonstrations of the same intolerance...

Anyone see a Obamatron decry such intolerance? Anyone see a 'true-believer' lament political intolerance in the workplace?

Nope... just one rationalization after another, which does absolutely NOTHING but demonstrate intolerance...

LOL... which is kinda cool.

The simple fact is that there's no creature on EARTh less tolerant than the ideological leftist... without regard to what label they hang on themselves.

i am a conservative, there is no way i would deface something one of my co-workers had printed even if i found it objectionable

maybe i just have a greater respect for my co-workers than you do

I'm a liberal. There is no way I would deface something one of my co-workers had printed even if I found it objectionable. Maybe I have just as great a respect for my co-workers as you do and this really has nothing to do with left or right but rather with rude?

yeah, there are hate sites on all political spectrums

I agree - and I think the anonymity of the internet allow people to be much more vociferous in expressing their hate and intolerance :(

Forum List

Back