Internet Browsers

Adblock is mostly redundant if you're running NoScript, and Adblock seriously bogs down Firefox. I removed Adblock, and haven't missed it. My addons are

NoScript (blocks javascript)
Ghostery (blocks trackers)
BetterPrivacy (deletes Flash/LSO cookies)

According to the benchmarks, Chrome is a little faster than Firefox. And it has more of the newest html5 features. Firefox, better at privacy, and a bigger variety of addons.

I also use Ghostery...I had forgotten about it.

I thought I was subscribed to this thread, but apparently not.

I actually use 4 browsers.

At the moment, I'm using Opera as it has a better popup blocker and seems to be faster in some sites.
My default browser is Firefox but I've had problems with it freezing up on me.
I have Google Chrome which is okay but lacks some of the features I like in Opera and Firefox.
Internet Explorer simply as a backup and where I connect with Google+

They have improved IE I think. And with Windows 8.1 it works fastest and with the fewest annoying features of any of the several browsers I have at my disposal. I quit using it for awhile when they had that security problem, but now that they got that patched, it is all good.

Been using Firefox for decades and have been using Google Search as my home page and search engine and that just changed today (at least the home page and search engine part). Since Firefox partnered with Yahoo search Google has been bleeding users and even though that trend is rapidly slowing Google decided to launch a plea campaign to get users to come back to Google.
There's a pop-up bar that appears almost every time a tab is opened and since I was already using Google and that I couldn't turn the notification off, I finally sent Google a nasty-gram and switched to DuckDuckGo.

Maybe, you should load a European version of Firefox. They have still google as default search.
DuckDuckGo is fine, I've used it in the past. The only reason I went back to Google was I use Google e-mail and Google maps, now I have to use links in bookmarks instead of having them on my homepage.

Maybe, you should load a European version of Firefox. They have still google as default search.
DuckDuckGo is fine, I've used it in the past. The only reason I went back to Google was I use Google e-mail and Google maps, now I have to use links in bookmarks instead of having them on my homepage.
These alternative searches claim they are based on Google but they have different search results.

Yahoo is the worst...the results are always terrible and populated with fakes close to what your search for.
Basically - if you use Yahoo - you are most likely going to end up with a slew of malware as fake sites many times appear as the top results.
I have used Google forever, and can't imagine anything else. And yes I sent Firefox many bitch messages about their switch.

Checling out different browsers from a general users perspective for those who are interested.

Arora

Arora is a lightweight cross-platform web browser. It's free (as in free speech and free beer). Arora runs on Linux, embedded Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, Windows, Haiku, and any other platforms supported by the Qt toolkit.

Arora uses the QtWebKit port of the fully standards-compliant WebKit layout engine. It features fast rendering, powerful JavaScript engine and supports Netscape plugins.

Apart from the must-have features such as bookmarks, history and tabbed browsing Arora boasts:

very fast startup
integration with desktop environments
smart location bar
session management
privacy mode
flexible search engine management
ClickToFlash plugin
download manager
WebInspector, a set of tools for web developers
30 translations

arora - Cross Platform WebKit Browser - Google Project Hosting

It is fast but for the typical user it's missing some functionality. While you can copy via right click you have to use the drop down edit menu to paste plus there is no Home button, again one has to go to the drop down menu, click on history then home.
It does have (again in the drop down menu) a one click, on time addition of AdBlock and is very secure.

It can open multiple tabs but is limited in number of windows it can display.
Preferences are primarily the same as most browsers but limited for configurations under options.
There appears to be no spell check.

Like I said it's a free, light web browser with limited functionality but extremely fast and secure. It would work great as a backup browser for people on the move who my run into slow connection speeds or for those who have dial up service or older slower computers.

I've tried several but I keep going back to chrome. I keep thinking it's too bloated and commercialized until I try something "new".

Edge isn't bad. I still use Chrome as my primary in Windows and Firefox in Linux. But Edge is a significant improvement over the old IE and seems to have all the features Chrome has.

Firefox 42 finally put a mute button on each tab that plays sound, a very useful feature that it had lacked (and which Chrome had for a while). It means now you don't have to bring up every tab to find out which one is making noise.

Firefox 42 finally put a mute button on each tab that plays sound, a very useful feature that it had lacked (and which Chrome had for a while). It means now you don't have to bring up every tab to find out which one is making noise.
I have a sound button on the task bar......... controls everything......... :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back