Oh For the Love of God, Can Someone Tell Me . . . .

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Zoom-boing, May 11, 2011.

1. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,123
    . . . . what the hell the default font is for Windows Vista?

The computer did something over night, hubs installed some updates, now the fonts are screwy and I can't get icons to show up on the desktop. Yes, I right click and say 'show on desktop' and . . . .nada.

Blarg. Any halp would be appreciated.

Oh, what's the font for USMB?

2. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,428
    the proper font for vista is the one that's never on vista.......:eusa_whistle:

Not sure but Vista Ultimate uses Segoe UI

If that's not it, uninstall the most recent update and reboot the computer.

3. kwc57

kwc57 BOHICA Obama

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,792
    Just throw it away and buy a new one. ;)

4. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,123
    Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. I just got the defaults from the desktop and changed them on the laptop . . . . but something isn't right with the fonts on the laptop. And that I can't put short-cuts onto the desktop tells me something is funke. :mad: Thx.

5. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,428
    Are you using the Aero theme? That could be your problem with the update. The Vista Aero theme is a poorly written hog and will start creating issues as your system gets older.
    My recommendation on the desktop, (for what it's worth) do a clean install of Window 7, if you don't want the hassle of backing up your disc and upgrading to Win 7 and reinstalling you data then buy a hard drive, install it in your number 1 Sata port with your old hard drive in the number 2 port. Load Win 7 on the new HD, your computer will boot to the new hard drive and set up will automatically assign your old HD as the D: drive.
    This way you now have 2 drives and can access eveything you have stored on the old HD without fear of losing any data.

6. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Go to your last restore point before it wonked out

7. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,123
    Don't know what aero theme is and the rest is beyond my capabilities of understanding. lol We're running on Vista anyway, don't want to spend the money to ugrade to 7.

I'm going to do (translate: the hubs will do when he gets home) a restore. Don't know what happened overnight but he said it was screwy this morning and updates were waiting to be installed as well. Don't know what made the font weird but I'm guessing the restore will take care of the problem.

I can't figure out why it won't let me put icons on the desktop. Just trying to put control panel on there and it just doesn't do anything. Also, when I click on the start button all the programs that were pinned there are no longer pinned there, it's just an empty space now. All the programs are there. . . just not pinned into a 'shortcut' column.

8. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    I agree with the default font for Vista by another poster...as to USMB? It is 'Verdana'...

I posted this message first in 'arial' first to show the difference, then changed it.

~T

9. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,123
    So the first line is Verdana and the second line is airal?

Whatever it is for me it's now kind of 'blocky' and the letters a just a bit too spaced apart. I did try going in and changing the fonts (in Firefox tools) and also changing the advanced settings but still couldn't get the font right. Blarg.

10. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,428
    Aero theme is the clear, see through look on open windows and panels, if you can see the desktop through an open window you have Aero. Right click on the desktop, chose preferences, look for and un-click Aero or click on Classic view depending on how your system is set up.
    The other thing getting rid of Aero will do is free up much needed system resources and make your computer faster.