Internet Browsers

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Checling out different browsers from a general users perspective for those who are interested.

Arora

Arora is a lightweight cross-platform web browser. It's free (as in free speech and free beer). Arora runs on Linux, embedded Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, Windows, Haiku, and any other platforms supported by the Qt toolkit.

Arora uses the QtWebKit port of the fully standards-compliant WebKit layout engine. It features fast rendering, powerful JavaScript engine and supports Netscape plugins.

Apart from the must-have features such as bookmarks, history and tabbed browsing Arora boasts:

very fast startup
integration with desktop environments
smart location bar
session management
privacy mode
flexible search engine management
ClickToFlash plugin
download manager
WebInspector, a set of tools for web developers
30 translations

arora - Cross Platform WebKit Browser - Google Project Hosting

It is fast but for the typical user it's missing some functionality. While you can copy via right click you have to use the drop down edit menu to paste plus there is no Home button, again one has to go to the drop down menu, click on history then home.
It does have (again in the drop down menu) a one click, on time addition of AdBlock and is very secure.

It can open multiple tabs but is limited in number of windows it can display.
Preferences are primarily the same as most browsers but limited for configurations under options.
There appears to be no spell check.

Like I said it's a free, light web browser with limited functionality but extremely fast and secure. It would work great as a backup browser for people on the move who my run into slow connection speeds or for those who have dial up service or older slower computers.

if i didnt know you were you i would swear you were a spamer!

:lol:

What I'm doing is with the advent of FF moving to 4.01 and stopping support for 3.6 there are many who will be looking for a new browser. I also know there are some here who are stuck with satellite or dial up service and thought if I could show them what's available and do a brief write up it can help them decide whether they want to try it or not.

What I'm doing is with the advent of FF moving to 4.01 and stopping support for 3.6 there are many who will be looking for a new browser. I also know there are some here who are stuck with satellite or dial up service and thought if I could show them what's available and do a brief write up it can help them decide whether they want to try it or not.

Opera in Turbo Mode is the browser I use for a slow connection. I tried Arora a few years ago and thought it had potential. I didn't like the way it handled at the time.

Opera in Turbo Mode is the browser I use for a slow connection. I tried Arora a few years ago and thought it had potential. I didn't like the way it handled at the time.

Exactly, thanks. Someone may want to try it out, that's the reason for the thread, for anyone who wants to provide basic and/or detailed information on different browsers to give our fellow USMB members options to try if they so choose. I'm on Seamonkey right now checking out it's different features.

If you aren't playing with video much Midori is quick......unrefined but quick.

Yeah Midori is another webkit browser I was planning to eventually test, the windows version because most here, for whatever reason they so choose and I won't argue with, use a Windows operating system. Of course if you want to do a brief synopsis the Linux and Windows versions probably aren't that far apart and it will save me some time and effort.

Well I have not used Arora yet because i am still using Google Chrome for web surfing which is classic web browser i have found . I would try Arora very soon .

Just discovered one that looks extremely promising call Lunascape6. Very high powered and very fast but the main "selling feature" (it's a free download) is it's triple search engine, Trident (Internet Explorer), Gecko (Firefox) and Webkit (Google Chrome and Safari). When you load it you select you default search engine but when you're online and one is performing slowly you can switch to the other by clicking on the engine name at the right of the address bar.
The tool bar layout is pretty clean looking with a lot of menu and icon options that are fully customizable. There are five default skins to choose from plus more available online. For those of you who like me prefer their main search page free of "clutter" there is a news ticker with limited default choices but gives easy edit and add capabilities. It will transfer you favorites from your other browsers and set up as the default browser but only if you give it permission, it asks on setup and you say yes or no to each request.
If you're a Gecko (Firefox) user all the add-ons are available.
So far I'm really impressed with this browser and it looks like it just might become my primary.

Now for a very easy, fast, lightweight browser for those who like the Firefox 3.6 version. CometBird is based on the Gecko search engine and is compatible with all the Mozilla add-ons. Very clean 3.6 version interface that is also customizable. just under the main toolbar and address bar are RSS feeds for News, Email, Video, Music, Torrent, Games, Social and Shopping. An extra menu has been added for Softwares, recommended and updated.
This browser is blazing fast with my home IP so would make a very fast and secure alternative for slower speed internet connections over IE, FF and Google Chrome as a primary or secondary browser. I'm fairly impressed with it's lightweight interface, security options and customization capabilities.

Just tried out Midori. Every time I try to run a You tube video it tells me I need to upgrade my Flash player. I'm already running the latest version, tried downloading and reinstalling Flash, no luck, same problem. For my part Midori is a waste of my time, if you know how to easily fix the problem then it is extremely fast but with very limited customization features.

Although I can't seem to find the bookmarks importer yet (haven't really looked that hard) Cometbird is fast becoming my default browser due to the fact I've noticed issues with FF4 where my search bar freezes up when I hit the back key then I have to refresh to get it working again. My "full sized" browser is now Lunascape6.

Forum List

Back