International Refugee Day: Palestinian Refugees issue at British Parliament

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
DataFiles%5CCache%5CTempImgs%5C2012%5C1%5Cimages_News_2012_06_08_nakba_300_0.jpg

LONDON, (PIC)-- The Palestinian Return Centre (PRC) will commemorate international refugee day by hosting a number of events across Europe. The events will commence in the UK on 18 June and end in Geneva 22 June. International Refugee Day is an annual event launched by the United Nations to highlight the plight of millions of refugees worldwide who are forced to flee their homes.

The events will be organized in partnership with the Council for European Palestinian Relations which will organize various events across Europe to focus on the legal, political and humanitarian aspects of the plight of Palestinian refugees.

A key event will take place at the British House of Commons on Monday, 18th of June. Key speakers will include Ian Murray, Jeremy Corbyn MP, a Palestinian refugee representative, Salman Abu Sitta, Muhamad al Hamid and others to be confirmed.

Palestinian refugees comprise of the largest and longest standing case of refugees and displaced persons in modern history. 2012 marked the 64th anniversary of the Nakba, the beginning of their ongoing cycle of exile and dispossession.

DataFiles%5CCache%5CTempImgs%5C2012%5C1%5Cimages_News_2012_06_08_nakba_300_0.jpg

LONDON, (PIC)-- The Palestinian Return Centre (PRC) will commemorate international refugee day by hosting a number of events across Europe. The events will commence in the UK on 18 June and end in Geneva 22 June. International Refugee Day is an annual event launched by the United Nations to highlight the plight of millions of refugees worldwide who are forced to flee their homes.

The events will be organized in partnership with the Council for European Palestinian Relations which will organize various events across Europe to focus on the legal, political and humanitarian aspects of the plight of Palestinian refugees.

A key event will take place at the British House of Commons on Monday, 18th of June. Key speakers will include Ian Murray, Jeremy Corbyn MP, a Palestinian refugee representative, Salman Abu Sitta, Muhamad al Hamid and others to be confirmed.

Palestinian refugees comprise of the largest and longest standing case of refugees and displaced persons in modern history. 2012 marked the 64th anniversary of the Nakba, the beginning of their ongoing cycle of exile and dispossession.

The refugees can always return home to Jordan or Syria. Why do they want to come to Israel if they hate the Jews so much?

The jews can always return to Russia or Birobidzhan, why do they want to come to Palestine if they hate the Palestinians so much?

Last edited:
The jews can always return to Russia or Birobidzhan, why do they want to come to Palestine if they hate the Palestinians so much?

Because the people of Israel were in the land much before any Palestinian existed?

That must be the reason.

I just don't think this argment holds water - for one thing, Jews were never in towns like Nablus, Jaffa, Akko or the Golan at all - so how does that establish a basis for Israeli ownership?

Because the people of Israel were in the land much before any Palestinian existed?

That must be the reason.

I just don't think this argment holds water - for one thing, Jews were never in towns like Nablus, Jaffa, Akko or the Golan at all - so how does that establish a basis for Israeli ownership?

Most people now grouped together as Palestinian refugees never lived there either (unless they are over 64 years old).

Most people now grouped together as Palestinian refugees never lived there either (unless they are over 64 years old).

Indeed. But their parents were born in Akko, their grandparents were born in Akko, and their greatgrandparents were born in Akko.

That's as strong a link to a city as most of us on this board have, and it's good enough to convince me they should be allowed to live in Akko if that is possible.

Saying they should move "home" to Syria is just a nonsense.

After 64 years the Palestinians still haven't come to terms with the fact that they lost the war to destroy Israel in 1948. Pretty sad.

One of Israel's biggest lies.

The main reason the Arabs fought in 48 was to destroy Israel. They couldn't do it. AKA they failed.

Israel didn't say so. The entire world did.

Sucks to be them, i guess. :eusa_whistle:

After 64 years the Palestinians still haven't come to terms with the fact that they lost the war to destroy Israel in 1948. Pretty sad.

One of Israel's biggest lies.

The main reason the Arabs fought in 48 was to destroy Israel. They couldn't do it. AKA they failed.

Israel didn't say so. The entire world did.

Sucks to be them, i guess. :eusa_whistle:

Soon, when Iran makes a few nukes, it'll suck to be you. For sure. :D

Indeed. But their parents were born in Akko, their grandparents were born in Akko, and their greatgrandparents were born in Akko.

That's as strong a link to a city as most of us on this board have, and it's good enough to convince me they should be allowed to live in Akko if that is possible.

So you believe that millions of Germans should be flooding back into the Czech Republic, Poland, Russia, etc?

The idea that people who have never in their life lived one day in Israel should be termed "refugees" is simply ludicrous and a sign that after all this time they still haven't come to terms with reality.

So you believe that millions of Germans should be flooding back into the Czech Republic, Poland, Russia, etc?

The idea that people who have never in their life lived one day in Israel should be termed "refugees" is simply ludicrous and a sign that after all this time they still haven't come to terms with reality.

Can Germans legaly move to the Czech Republic?

They can, right?

So then that isn't a particularly valid example.

But even so, no I don't think many Germans would want to move to the Czech Republic, because there is a German state.

There is no Palestinian state.

When/If there is, I think most Palestinians should move there.

Not difficult stuff this, really.

Can Germans legaly move to the Czech Republic?

They can, right?

So then that isn't a particularly valid example.

But even so, no I don't think many Germans would want to move to the Czech Republic, because there is a German state.

There is no Palestinian state.

When/If there is, I think most Palestinians should move there.

Not difficult stuff this, really.

So you agree there should be no return of refugees to Israel?

And no, Germans cannot go and reclaim the livesof their ancestors in the Czech Republic and in Poland and in Russia (nor should they be able to). For some reason the people who had to flee from the East stopped being refugees and were integrated into their new homeland. Why is this not possible for Palestinians?

As long as the Palestinians refuse to face up to thev reality that they lost the war in 1948 they will sink further into oblivion.

And no, Germans cannot go and reclaim the livesof their ancestors in the Czech Republic and in Poland and in Russia (nor should they be able to). For some reason the people who had to flee from the East stopped being refugees and were integrated into their new homeland. Why is this not possible for Palestinians?

As long as the Palestinians refuse to face up to thev reality that they lost the war in 1948 they will sink further into oblivion.

So you agree the Palestinians are "refugees"? Cool.

You also agree that they had to "flee".

Apparently, the war of 1948 isn't over yet, because their ally Iran wants to help them.

I think it should be limited.

In general, I think it is fair to ask families from Akko to settle in Nablus, but I also think that Israel could earn points by offering right of return to, say, 10,000 people per year for 10 years.

So you agree the Palestinians are "refugees"? Cool.

You also agree that they had to "flee".

Apparently, the war of 1948 isn't over yet, because their ally Iran wants to help them.

People who never lived in Israel can also not be refugees from there.

If the Palestinians want to continue the war they will continue to lose.

I think it should be limited.

In general, I think it is fair to ask families from Akko to settle in Nablus, but I also think that Israel could earn points by offering right of return to, say, 10,000 people per year for 10 years.

That is complete nonsense. Why should Israel let Palestinians who have never lived in Israel come and live there. And 100.000?

The only people who can make a legitimate claim to return are those who did indeed live in Israel prior to 1948 and who are prepared to renounce Palestinian citizenship and swear loyalty to Israel. All the rest should build up their lives where they are living now or move to a future Palestine. And the longer they keep postponing peace the smaller that future Palestine will be.

Forum List

Back