Interesting news regarding private prisons...

Pilate

VIP Member
Aug 16, 2016
They may be starting to lose steam as a business. Take a look at these numbers for one private prison corporation for example.

Personally I'm on the fence about private prisons, but regardless I felt this was worth mentioning.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 33
Prison should mean laying around watching TV and going to the gym. Maybe some hoops in the yard to break up the monotony. Under no circumstances should the little flowers work.

Prison should mean laying around watching TV and going to the gym. Maybe some hoops in the yard to break up the monotony. Under no circumstances should the little flowers work.
there's always the temptation to make more useless laws on the chance that it'll increase the slave labor pool, though. it's probably better bring back the gallows.

Personally I'm on the fence about private prisons

Apparently you are also on the fence about justice?
Be careful, you may be falling onto one side or the other without any decision or control on your part. What if you end falling to be within the side of a private prison? I'd reconsider analyzing your sense of justice.

there's always the temptation to make more useless laws on the chance that it'll increase the slave labor pool, though. it's probably better bring back the gallows.
Well if I may butt in for just a second, dead people are very low maintenance.

Be careful, you may be falling onto one side or the other without any decision or control on your part. What if you end falling to be within a private prison? I'd reconsider analyzing your sense of justice.
This already reeks of "if you don't side with me then u r dum lol."

Be careful, you may be falling onto one side or the other without any decision or control on your part. What if you end falling to be within a private prison? I'd reconsider analyzing your sense of justice.
This already reeks of "if you don't side with me then u r dum lol."

No shame. Keep working.

Private prisons exist for profit.

Public prisons do not.

Where do the profits come from?

Are the prisoners rich?

No - the private prisons make the government pay them to run the prisons.

So if the government ran the prisons, as non-profits, it would save the taxpayers a shitload of money. The government decided to do so.

Stockholders that were breaking even on the corporate welfare just saw their holdings tank.

"Private prisons". Is this something you willingly go to and leave when you want? Hmmm. Sounds interesting. Do you get to do what you want there? Like powder your butt? This might work out. This might work out.

Public prisons do not.

Are the prisoners rich?

So if the government ran the prisons, as non-profits, it would save the taxpayers a shitload of money. The government decided to do so.

Stockholders that were breaking even on the corporate welfare just saw their holdings tank.

Private prisons exist BECAUSE of profit, and NOT FOR profit.

Public prisons DO exist FOR profit, since those sentenced to it are usually lacking in financial comprehension and skill which otherwise would keep them from getting into any trouble and incarceration.

The rest of your post doesn't proceed with its logic and actuality corrected by mine.

Public prisons do not.

Are the prisoners rich?

Exactly! Privatising costs more but moves money around more, which stimulates the economy. More money for shareholders, less money for workers. Zero increase in productivity.

Public prisons do not.

Are the prisoners rich?

Public prisons DO exist FOR profit, since those sentenced to it are usually lacking in financial comprehension and skill which otherwise would keep them from getting into any trouble and incarceration.

The rest of your post doesn't proceed with its logic and actuality corrected by mine.
So you are saying that society makes more profit if unskilled criminals are locked up???

Public prisons do not.

Are the prisoners rich?

Exactly! Privatising costs more but moves money around more, which stimulates the economy. More money for shareholders, less money for workers. Zero increase in productivity.

But only if you don't include the improvement robotics would be to the prison system.

Public prisons do not.

Are the prisoners rich?

So you are saying that society makes more profit if unskilled criminals are locked up???

No, of course we would have even more profit if the criminals are skilled and can get even greater skill enhancement by being imprisoned.

Does US private prisons decision matter?

How the US will end its 30-year history with private prisons
Sat, 20 Aug 2016 - This week, the US Department of Justice announced it will phase out its use of private prisons. A look at what the announcement means - and what it doesn't.
"[Private prisons] compare poorly to our own Bureau facilities," Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates wrote in a memo to US officials. "They simply do not provide the same level of correctional services, programs, and resources; they do not save substantially on costs ... they do not maintain the same level of safety and security." According to David C Fathi, director of the American Civil Liberties Union's National Prison Project, this memo represents a sea change in the attitude of the US government towards privatised corrections. "This really is a historic reversal of the last 30 years," he says. "It's even more significant as a signal that's being sent and quite probably a harbinger of things to come." However, while the announcement will have a significant impact on certain prisoners overseen by the federal government, this will change nothing for the vast majority of the US prison populace. Here is a look at the immediate impact on the Federal Bureau of Prisons, and a glimpse of what may be to come.

Which inmates does this announcement affect?
Currently, the federal government contracts with 13 private facilities across the US, from California to North Carolina. These kinds of facilities are run by three for-profit companies: Corrections Corporation of America, Geo Group, and Management and Training Corporation. All told, these private facilities hold about 22,660 inmates who will be affected by this announcement. That's a small percentage - 12% - of the total number of inmates currently incarcerated by the federal government.

Which inmates are not affected by this announcement?
The number of inmates who will be affected by this decision is a miniscule portion of the overall prison population in the US, which is estimated at 2.2m. The vast majority of these men and women are held in state prisons, not federal ones, and so the change in policy has no effect on them. In addition, while this marks the end of the Bureau of Prison's use of private companies, the Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement relies heavily on private facilities to hold immigrant detainees - an estimated 70% of its inmates are in private facilities, about 24,000 people in total. Those detainees are not affected by this week's announcement. In fact, while the population of the federal prisons is contracting, the number of immigrant detainees held under Ice jurisdiction is growing. Just recently, Ice approved a new, $1bn contract with CCA for facilities to hold the growing number of Central American asylum seekers in Texas. All of those factors make it seem unlikely that the Department of Homeland Security has immediate plans to cease using private prisons. "It would be a heavier lift for them," says Fathi.

How will the federal government eliminate its use of private prisons?

Be careful, you may be falling onto one side or the other without any decision or control on your part. What if you end falling to be within the side of a private prison? I'd reconsider analyzing your sense of justice.

how are "private prisons" correlated to "justice"?

how are "private prisons" correlated to "justice"?

Assuming "private prisons" to actually exist beyond journalism, academia and personal opinion (as land owning institutes), then those private prisons can rehabilitate with specificity citizens who had otherwise forgotten about the land and the law that governs it.

The benefit, in contrast to a "public prison", is that the piece of land in a private prison, to which the imprisoned citizen is kept and disciplined in, has clearer delineations, property rules, and are less imposing upon individuality, as the prisoner must learn the law and a certain common sense of politeness to rehabilitate themselves to again be free and prospering lawful citizens. If a citizen is taken to a private prison, but insists in being defiant, it is likely they will lose the benefits of being in the private prison and will be transferred to a public prison.

The piece of land to which a public prison responds to is equivalent to the piece of land to which a private prison responds to, both in value and in tax return (or "revenue" as the commentators on private prisons like to put it, although it is the exact same process to that of public prisons). The difference, however, is that "private prisons" focus on the fundamentals of law to be learned by the prisoners, and are generally more concerned with the individuals' adjustment process, while "public prisons" are generally more concerned with facility maintenance and strict impersonal correction (its imprisoned individuals expected to comply without personal adjustment bound by possible further disciplinary procedures, either in the time of serving within the facility or in further corrective isolation).

Last edited:
I wonder if Charter Schools will end up being the same failure.

Forum List

Back