Inside the British island where residents celebrate Christmas 12 days after the world

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
As most of the country get ready to welcome in the New Year, Britain's most remote community is still days away from celebrating Christmas.

Foula in Shetland adheres to an ancient calendar for both occasions, so Christmas Day is on January 6 and Newerday (New Year's Day) is not until January 13.

There are just 28 people living on the tiny island - the most remote permanently inhabited island in Great Britain - and the community has a strong Norse tradition of folklore, music and festivities.

Its residents were the last to speak Norn, a form of old Norse which died out around 1800.

Islanders traditionally gather in one house to celebrate Christmas where they will exchange gifts and greetings.

One islander previously said: "It is not just part of our tradition - but the world's. It is everybody else who changed - not us.
Inside Brit island where residents celebrate Christmas 12 days after the world
I have conflicting thoughts between there being just 28 people and having to deal with 27 more people than I might want to. This is kind of cool.

As most of the country get ready to welcome in the New Year, Britain's most remote community is still days away from celebrating Christmas.

Foula in Shetland adheres to an ancient calendar for both occasions, so Christmas Day is on January 6 and Newerday (New Year's Day) is not until January 13.

There are just 28 people living on the tiny island - the most remote permanently inhabited island in Great Britain - and the community has a strong Norse tradition of folklore, music and festivities.

Its residents were the last to speak Norn, a form of old Norse which died out around 1800.

Islanders traditionally gather in one house to celebrate Christmas where they will exchange gifts and greetings.

One islander previously said: "It is not just part of our tradition - but the world's. It is everybody else who changed - not us.
Inside Brit island where residents celebrate Christmas 12 days after the world
I have conflicting thoughts between there being just 28 people and having to deal with 27 more people than I might want to. This is kind of cool.

A place where I would like to live.

Forum List

Back