Insect Repellants. Tis summertime!

I read your link. Some say to mix with water although oil and water does not mix well so to shake it very good before spritzing. I do have olive oil...so if I can get another small spritzer bottle..I would like to try it on my skin and clothes. (Lavender...or lemon grass).
Lemon Grass has the Citronella and I know it definitely works. If you are spraying your clothes water would be best. Its not like heavy oils, you'll see when you get it.

And, for those who still are searching for the remedy to not get bit...here is how to stop the itch once you get sucked on.

Natural Home Remedies for Mosquito Bites

11 Remedies to Treat Mosquito Bites at Home
1. Vinegar
When you first notice the itchy bite, try applying a small amount of vinegar directly to the bump. If you have many bites, you may want to take a very hot bath in a tub filled with water and 2 1/2 cups of vinegar. I would personally recommend using organic apple cider vinegar.

aloe-vera-01a.jpg

2. Aloe
Aloe vera is another excellent remedy for mosquito bites, as well as many other conditions. Not only will it help ease the itching and swelling from the bit, but it will also aid in healing the wound. You can use fresh inner leaf gel directly from an aloe plant or organic aloe juice. They both work well at providing relief.

3. A Dry Bar of Soap
Another remedy for mosquito bits is to rub a bar of dry soap directly on the bite. This will help provide temporary relief to the itching. Remember to wash it off throughly after the itch fades away.

4. Baking Soda & Water
Another simple remedy for mosquito bites is to make a thick paste of baking soda and water. Then apply this paste generously to the affected area. You should feel the swelling and itching subside shortly afterwards.

5. Onion
Other than making you produce tears, a fresh slice of onion can also help take the sting out of a bite. Simply place a fresh slice on the affected area for several minutes until the itching subsides. Be sure to wash the area thoroughly afterwards.

6. Toothpaste
For quick relief from mosquito bites, try applying a small amount of all-natural peppermint or neem-based toothpaste. Allow the paste to dry and leave for as long as desired.

7. Raw Honey
Simply, take a small amount of honey and apply directly to the bite. Honey also has anti-microbial properties that can help prevent infection. I would personally recommend using local raw honey.

lemons_01.jpg

8. Lime and/or Lemons
I usually apply a small amount of lime juice directly to the bites. Lemon juice also works well. I have also heard that rubbing the bite with the lemon or lime peel helps, but I usually prefer to use the juice. This also helps in keeping the wound from becoming infected from the grit and grime of fingernails.

9. Essential oils
There are many essential oil that can help provide temporary relief for mosquito bites. My favorites are tea tree, rosemary, neem, lavender, witch hazel and cedar oil. Take a small amount and dilute it with water, then apply directly to the bite.

10. Salt Paste
Take finely ground salt and mix with a small amount of water until you have a thick paste. Apply this salt paste directly to bite. I personally use Himalayan salt and find it works best, but iodized salt will also work. The important thing is to make sure it’s finely ground.

11. Garlic
garlic.jpg

Try rubbing a piece of raw garlic on the wound. It is possible that you will feel a small amount of mild burning, but you should feel some major relief afterwards. This is not one that I use with my children, and is wise for to use caution when using this natural remedy. The smell of garlic (and neem) will also help repel the mosquitoes from biting you more later.

12. Ozonated Olive Oil
Ozonated olive oil is a natural health remedy in which olive oil is slowly infused with oxygen over a period of 3-6 months. This process changes the oil to an off-white topical cream that can soothe a variety of conditions. It speeds healing and alleviates swelling and redness from insect bites. [1] Simply apply the cream directly to the bite, and the itching and swelling should stop within minutes. If you’re interested in ozonated olive oil, try O2-Zap™, Global Healing Center’s own ozonated olive oil formula. O2-Zap is 100% organic, non-toxic, and environmentally friendly.

If you could come up with a buffalo gnat repellent you'd make millions.
Black Flies or Buffalo Gnats
BLACK FLIES
the most evil creatures that ever existed on the face of this Earth.....

OH MY LORD!

the bites itch like crazy and the bite swells to golf ball size on me! :eek:

they are just starting to show up here in Maine! Deet bug spray is the only thing that works to keep them off me.

I have been googling while swinging by here....and I think I am going to get another spray bottle and try lavender with olive oil and water and mix it really good. I also want to find unscented lotion and add some drops of lavender oil in it...or lemongrass. A lotion is what I really want. Something not too oily but will last long enough to walk my dog without coming home with lumps the size of golf balls like yours!

At home...(before this one)....I never got bit. Must be the sea air. Up in these mountains and being next to a creek? Jeez...I am a walking dinner plate for skeeters!

I wonder if I can put oils in Queens cocobutter?

Anyone know?

QUEEN_HELENE_COCOA_BUTTER.jpg

And, for those who still are searching for the remedy to not get bit...here is how to stop the itch once you get sucked on.

Natural Home Remedies for Mosquito Bites

11 Remedies to Treat Mosquito Bites at Home
1. Vinegar
When you first notice the itchy bite, try applying a small amount of vinegar directly to the bump. If you have many bites, you may want to take a very hot bath in a tub filled with water and 2 1/2 cups of vinegar. I would personally recommend using organic apple cider vinegar.

aloe-vera-01a.jpg

2. Aloe
Aloe vera is another excellent remedy for mosquito bites, as well as many other conditions. Not only will it help ease the itching and swelling from the bit, but it will also aid in healing the wound. You can use fresh inner leaf gel directly from an aloe plant or organic aloe juice. They both work well at providing relief.

3. A Dry Bar of Soap
Another remedy for mosquito bits is to rub a bar of dry soap directly on the bite. This will help provide temporary relief to the itching. Remember to wash it off throughly after the itch fades away.

4. Baking Soda & Water
Another simple remedy for mosquito bites is to make a thick paste of baking soda and water. Then apply this paste generously to the affected area. You should feel the swelling and itching subside shortly afterwards.

5. Onion
Other than making you produce tears, a fresh slice of onion can also help take the sting out of a bite. Simply place a fresh slice on the affected area for several minutes until the itching subsides. Be sure to wash the area thoroughly afterwards.

6. Toothpaste
For quick relief from mosquito bites, try applying a small amount of all-natural peppermint or neem-based toothpaste. Allow the paste to dry and leave for as long as desired.

7. Raw Honey
Simply, take a small amount of honey and apply directly to the bite. Honey also has anti-microbial properties that can help prevent infection. I would personally recommend using local raw honey.

lemons_01.jpg

8. Lime and/or Lemons
I usually apply a small amount of lime juice directly to the bites. Lemon juice also works well. I have also heard that rubbing the bite with the lemon or lime peel helps, but I usually prefer to use the juice. This also helps in keeping the wound from becoming infected from the grit and grime of fingernails.

9. Essential oils
There are many essential oil that can help provide temporary relief for mosquito bites. My favorites are tea tree, rosemary, neem, lavender, witch hazel and cedar oil. Take a small amount and dilute it with water, then apply directly to the bite.

10. Salt Paste
Take finely ground salt and mix with a small amount of water until you have a thick paste. Apply this salt paste directly to bite. I personally use Himalayan salt and find it works best, but iodized salt will also work. The important thing is to make sure it’s finely ground.

11. Garlic
garlic.jpg

Try rubbing a piece of raw garlic on the wound. It is possible that you will feel a small amount of mild burning, but you should feel some major relief afterwards. This is not one that I use with my children, and is wise for to use caution when using this natural remedy. The smell of garlic (and neem) will also help repel the mosquitoes from biting you more later.

12. Ozonated Olive Oil
Ozonated olive oil is a natural health remedy in which olive oil is slowly infused with oxygen over a period of 3-6 months. This process changes the oil to an off-white topical cream that can soothe a variety of conditions. It speeds healing and alleviates swelling and redness from insect bites. [1] Simply apply the cream directly to the bite, and the itching and swelling should stop within minutes. If you’re interested in ozonated olive oil, try O2-Zap™, Global Healing Center’s own ozonated olive oil formula. O2-Zap is 100% organic, non-toxic, and environmentally friendly.

If you could come up with a buffalo gnat repellent you'd make millions.
Black Flies or Buffalo Gnats
BLACK FLIES
the most evil creatures that ever existed on the face of this Earth.....

OH MY LORD!

the bites itch like crazy and the bite swells to golf ball size on me! :eek:

they are just starting to show up here in Maine! Deet bug spray is the only thing that works to keep them off me.

Nothing keeps em off of you down in the river bottoms.
I think they get a buzz off bug spray.

I have been googling while swinging by here....and I think I am going to get another spray bottle and try lavender with olive oil and water and mix it really good. I also want to find unscented lotion and add some drops of lavender oil in it...or lemongrass. A lotion is what I really want. Something not too oily but will last long enough to walk my dog without coming home with lumps the size of golf balls like yours!

At home...(before this one)....I never got bit. Must be the sea air. Up in these mountains and being next to a creek? Jeez...I am a walking dinner plate for skeeters!

Olive earl should work. Saw it listed in the ingredients on one of my Canadian creams. Also soybean oil -- it was the first ingredient on another one.

From an ingredient label of another cream, aside from the pennyroyal and lavendar already mentioned it has essential oils of:
  • Peppermint
  • litsea cubeba
  • catnip
  • eucalyptus
  • geranium
  • --- and something that looks through the age like "friaouli", though I have no clue what that might be.
--- some of that, like the litsea cubeba, might be just in there for fragrance.

Hey Gracie, ain't it fun to experiment with herbs again? Like old times... :D

Well...the listerine/tea bag/dawn soap did not work. BUT..pure coconut oil with a drop of lavender mixed in the palm of my hand and smeared on my legs and arms did!

Just came in...and it is skeeter feeding time. They avoided me.
Nice simple recipe. Pure coconut oil (good for skin, hair, can cook with it), add a smidge of lavender in yer hand, smear on...voila!

Where I live we do not have mosquitoes but when I spent a summer in Sanlúcar de Barrameda (Spain) I found a mosquito net essential at nighttime.

Here, they seem to go to bed when it gets dark. Its only at dusk..and at dawn that they bite.

Forum List

Back