Insect Repellants. Tis summertime!

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
I got swarmed by skeeters a bit ago....so I had to come inside although I wanted to hang out in the yard for awhile. I have been dabbing lavender essential oil on the hem of my shirt, capri leggings, edges of my flip flops. It seems to be working but I still have welts from where a few brave ones targeted me anyway.

So..since its summer and blood suckers are out and about...is there any solution/recipe you have you want to share to keep the skeeters at bay? This can also apply to ticks and no-see-ums.

Found this blog and they talk about a lot of DIY recipes of making your own...without putting DEET on your skin. One gal said she uses a drop of Dawn dish soap, Listerine (mint flavor), mixed with a bit of water and it works like a charm. Essential oils are expensive...so I think I am going to try her recommendation of Listerine and Dawn!

Pennyroyal. It's Nature's way. :)

And burn citronella candles upwind.

I've picked up some great natural repellents on trips to Québec (they know their bugs in Québec). Pennyroyal is usually in there, lavendar often as well but pennyroyal rocks.

Glad to hear all your rain finally stopped, but they love to breed where there's standing water left.

Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors.

The problem is, bees and hornets are attracted to light colors.

Your choice. :laugh:

Pennyroyal. It's Nature's way. :)

And burn citronella candles upwind.

I've picked up some great natural repellents on trips to Québec (they know their bugs in Québec). Pennyroyal is usually in there, lavendar often as well but pennyroyal rocks.

Glad to hear all your rain finally stopped, but they love to breed where there's standing water left.

Now this site warns against using pennyroyal topically like an ointment, although that's how I used it.
But they say just carry some leaves in your pocket and it's like --- "Shields Up".

I tried the listerine. Either the skeeters are asleep now that its dark, or it worked. The best time to try it again is tomorrow around 7ish, standing by the creek in the back yard. Thats when I was bombarded earlier.

I got a small spritz bottle and poured in Cool Mint listerine 3/4 way full. I added 2 drops of Dawn dish soap, stuck a used tea bag inside with the string out so I can remove it easier when replacing it, then filled the rest with water. I sprayed my bare legs and bare arms and clothes I have on with it and took off down the road. No bites. But like I said...I smell minty fresh but no bites. I will let y'all know tomorrow if my concoction REALLY works.

And, for those who still are searching for the remedy to not get bit...here is how to stop the itch once you get sucked on.

Natural Home Remedies for Mosquito Bites

11 Remedies to Treat Mosquito Bites at Home
1. Vinegar
When you first notice the itchy bite, try applying a small amount of vinegar directly to the bump. If you have many bites, you may want to take a very hot bath in a tub filled with water and 2 1/2 cups of vinegar. I would personally recommend using organic apple cider vinegar.

aloe-vera-01a.jpg

2. Aloe
Aloe vera is another excellent remedy for mosquito bites, as well as many other conditions. Not only will it help ease the itching and swelling from the bit, but it will also aid in healing the wound. You can use fresh inner leaf gel directly from an aloe plant or organic aloe juice. They both work well at providing relief.

3. A Dry Bar of Soap
Another remedy for mosquito bits is to rub a bar of dry soap directly on the bite. This will help provide temporary relief to the itching. Remember to wash it off throughly after the itch fades away.

4. Baking Soda & Water
Another simple remedy for mosquito bites is to make a thick paste of baking soda and water. Then apply this paste generously to the affected area. You should feel the swelling and itching subside shortly afterwards.

5. Onion
Other than making you produce tears, a fresh slice of onion can also help take the sting out of a bite. Simply place a fresh slice on the affected area for several minutes until the itching subsides. Be sure to wash the area thoroughly afterwards.

6. Toothpaste
For quick relief from mosquito bites, try applying a small amount of all-natural peppermint or neem-based toothpaste. Allow the paste to dry and leave for as long as desired.

7. Raw Honey
Simply, take a small amount of honey and apply directly to the bite. Honey also has anti-microbial properties that can help prevent infection. I would personally recommend using local raw honey.

lemons_01.jpg

8. Lime and/or Lemons
I usually apply a small amount of lime juice directly to the bites. Lemon juice also works well. I have also heard that rubbing the bite with the lemon or lime peel helps, but I usually prefer to use the juice. This also helps in keeping the wound from becoming infected from the grit and grime of fingernails.

9. Essential oils
There are many essential oil that can help provide temporary relief for mosquito bites. My favorites are tea tree, rosemary, neem, lavender, witch hazel and cedar oil. Take a small amount and dilute it with water, then apply directly to the bite.

10. Salt Paste
Take finely ground salt and mix with a small amount of water until you have a thick paste. Apply this salt paste directly to bite. I personally use Himalayan salt and find it works best, but iodized salt will also work. The important thing is to make sure it’s finely ground.

11. Garlic
garlic.jpg

Try rubbing a piece of raw garlic on the wound. It is possible that you will feel a small amount of mild burning, but you should feel some major relief afterwards. This is not one that I use with my children, and is wise for to use caution when using this natural remedy. The smell of garlic (and neem) will also help repel the mosquitoes from biting you more later.

12. Ozonated Olive Oil
Ozonated olive oil is a natural health remedy in which olive oil is slowly infused with oxygen over a period of 3-6 months. This process changes the oil to an off-white topical cream that can soothe a variety of conditions. It speeds healing and alleviates swelling and redness from insect bites. [1] Simply apply the cream directly to the bite, and the itching and swelling should stop within minutes. If you’re interested in ozonated olive oil, try O2-Zap™, Global Healing Center’s own ozonated olive oil formula. O2-Zap is 100% organic, non-toxic, and environmentally friendly.

And, for those who still are searching for the remedy to not get bit...here is how to stop the itch once you get sucked on.

1. Vinegar
When you first notice the itchy bite, try applying a small amount of vinegar directly to the bump. If you have many bites, you may want to take a very hot bath in a tub filled with water and 2 1/2 cups of vinegar. I would personally recommend using organic apple cider vinegar.

aloe-vera-01a.jpg

2. Aloe
Aloe vera is another excellent remedy for mosquito bites, as well as many other conditions. Not only will it help ease the itching and swelling from the bit, but it will also aid in healing the wound. You can use fresh inner leaf gel directly from an aloe plant or organic aloe juice. They both work well at providing relief.

3. A Dry Bar of Soap
Another remedy for mosquito bits is to rub a bar of dry soap directly on the bite. This will help provide temporary relief to the itching. Remember to wash it off throughly after the itch fades away.

4. Baking Soda & Water
Another simple remedy for mosquito bites is to make a thick paste of baking soda and water. Then apply this paste generously to the affected area. You should feel the swelling and itching subside shortly afterwards.

5. Onion
Other than making you produce tears, a fresh slice of onion can also help take the sting out of a bite. Simply place a fresh slice on the affected area for several minutes until the itching subsides. Be sure to wash the area thoroughly afterwards.

6. Toothpaste
For quick relief from mosquito bites, try applying a small amount of all-natural peppermint or neem-based toothpaste. Allow the paste to dry and leave for as long as desired.

7. Raw Honey
Simply, take a small amount of honey and apply directly to the bite. Honey also has anti-microbial properties that can help prevent infection. I would personally recommend using local raw honey.

lemons_01.jpg

8. Lime and/or Lemons
I usually apply a small amount of lime juice directly to the bites. Lemon juice also works well. I have also heard that rubbing the bite with the lemon or lime peel helps, but I usually prefer to use the juice. This also helps in keeping the wound from becoming infected from the grit and grime of fingernails.

9. Essential oils
There are many essential oil that can help provide temporary relief for mosquito bites. My favorites are tea tree, rosemary, neem, lavender, witch hazel and cedar oil. Take a small amount and dilute it with water, then apply directly to the bite.

10. Salt Paste
Take finely ground salt and mix with a small amount of water until you have a thick paste. Apply this salt paste directly to bite. I personally use Himalayan salt and find it works best, but iodized salt will also work. The important thing is to make sure it’s finely ground.

11. Garlic
garlic.jpg

Try rubbing a piece of raw garlic on the wound. It is possible that you will feel a small amount of mild burning, but you should feel some major relief afterwards. This is not one that I use with my children, and is wise for to use caution when using this natural remedy. The smell of garlic (and neem) will also help repel the mosquitoes from biting you more later.

12. Ozonated Olive Oil
Ozonated olive oil is a natural health remedy in which olive oil is slowly infused with oxygen over a period of 3-6 months. This process changes the oil to an off-white topical cream that can soothe a variety of conditions. It speeds healing and alleviates swelling and redness from insect bites. [1] Simply apply the cream directly to the bite, and the itching and swelling should stop within minutes. If you’re interested in ozonated olive oil, try O2-Zap™, Global Healing Center’s own ozonated olive oil formula. O2-Zap is 100% organic, non-toxic, and environmentally friendly.

If you could come up with a buffalo gnat repellent you'd make millions.
Black Flies or Buffalo Gnats

I tried the listerine. Either the skeeters are asleep now that its dark, or it worked. The best time to try it again is tomorrow around 7ish, standing by the creek in the back yard. Thats when I was bombarded earlier.

I got a small spritz bottle and poured in Cool Mint listerine 3/4 way full. I added 2 drops of Dawn dish soap, stuck a used tea bag inside with the string out so I can remove it easier when replacing it, then filled the rest with water. I sprayed my bare legs and bare arms and clothes I have on with it and took off down the road. No bites. But like I said...I smell minty fresh but no bites. I will let y'all know tomorrow if my concoction REALLY works.

I feel for you.

Us Southerners killed them off year's ago .

Standish water.

1. Vinegar

aloe-vera-01a.jpg

2. Aloe

3. A Dry Bar of Soap

4. Baking Soda & Water

5. Onion

6. Toothpaste

7. Raw Honey

lemons_01.jpg

8. Lime and/or Lemons

9. Essential oils

10. Salt Paste

11. Garlic
garlic.jpg

12. Ozonated Olive Oil

If you could come up with a buffalo gnat repellent you'd make millions.
Black Flies or Buffalo Gnats

That's exactly why I said 'they know their bugs in Québec'. Billions of brazenly biting black flies buzzing up there right now.

$4 an ounce is pretty cheap for Citronella Essential Oil. One bottle lasted me all summer last year and I even used some on the dogs when the bugs were real bad for them. You can add a few drops to lotion and it goes farther. Citronella, essential oil

$4 an ounce is pretty cheap for Citronella Essential Oil. One bottle lasted me all summer last year and I even used some on the dogs when the bugs were real bad for them. You can add a few drops to lotion and it goes farther. Citronella, essential oil
I am not very familiar with essential oil usage. Do you mix it with another oil..like olive oil? You don't use it full strength, do you?

I am not very familiar with essential oil usage. Do you mix it with another oil..like olive oil? You don't use it full strength, do you?
Just a few drops and you could use olive oil as a carrier. The smell drives them away. A few others I get from there are Rosemary and Lavender (said to work for Mosquitoes but I haven't used it for that). I try to make the order at least worth the shipping cost for a few things when I make one from there. That is also where I get my Acerola Cherry, its a pure form of vitamin C and other stuffs I order from there.

I read your link. Some say to mix with water although oil and water does not mix well so to shake it very good before spritzing. I do have olive oil...so if I can get another small spritzer bottle..I would like to try it on my skin and clothes. (Lavender...or lemon grass).

Forum List

Back