Inclusion or Exclusion?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
A question of approach that pops up every few years. Some time ago the big debate was about bilingual education vs immersion. That one hasn't come up in a while, but the degree to which non-native speakers are to be included in "regular" classes with native speaking students is still a balancing act.

Like Star Lord said, "a bit of both!"

Your home countries language should NEVER be second.

I had a teacher in high school that travelled the world during the summers.
She would tell us all about how other countries do things and how different the USA is, and even how lethargic and stupid this country is, compared to all others.

One of the things she told us is, even though English MAY be spoken in many other countries, it is deemed traitorous and treachery to NOT speak their native languages first. Anyone doing so is looked down on, spit on in some countries, and even arrested in others. Unless you are a tourist. Anyone looking to LIVE in these other countries HAVE to know the language in order to become a resident there.......among many of the other things required.

Personally, you can speak any language you want at home, or in language class.........but out in public, it should ONLY be English in the USA.

I know this, if I moved to another country I would be doing my best to learn the language. What use am I otherwise? How disrespectful is it to not become part of the culture that has embraced you?

Forum List

Back