Incivility makes us tune out

:razz:
There's a reason the media seemed disappointed about the New Hampshire debate. Not enough mud.

Some 85 percent of Americans think politics is becoming increasingly uncivil, and 74 percent think incivility in the 2012 presidential race will worsen. Some 35 percent blame the media for this, and 27 percent blame political party leaders.

In last week's Republican debate, the candidates were very civil to each other to the dismay of the media. But that may have been smart: A whopping 90 percent of Americans surveyed say "the way the candidate treats and deals with people he or she disagrees with" is of high importance to how they will cast their votes, and 88 percent say "the candidate's tone or level of civility" is of high importance.
Source

There are certain words that we only hear when Democrats are getting their collective butts kicked and civility is one of these words. I however have a very good memory and I remember the uncivil trash talk that spewed from liberals during the entire Bush Presidency. It's PAYBACK time Libs and nothing you can say will soften the butt whippin that's coming your way. O is toast and you all know it.

So how will you deal with the backlash sure to come if a Republican is elected? When does all this nonsense stop? PAYBACK is no way to run a country.

There's a reason the media seemed disappointed about the New Hampshire debate. Not enough mud.

Some 85 percent of Americans think politics is becoming increasingly uncivil, and 74 percent think incivility in the 2012 presidential race will worsen. Some 35 percent blame the media for this, and 27 percent blame political party leaders.

In last week's Republican debate, the candidates were very civil to each other to the dismay of the media. But that may have been smart: A whopping 90 percent of Americans surveyed say "the way the candidate treats and deals with people he or she disagrees with" is of high importance to how they will cast their votes, and 88 percent say "the candidate's tone or level of civility" is of high importance.
Source

What amazes me is how quickly the people that call for civility are to abandon it.

I've been calling for civility ever since Clinton-bashing was in vogue.

Incivility shouldnt make people tune out. Rather it should make people put in an effort to be civil. Civility is it's own reward because you are more likely to find the truth and convince others of it being civil than being uncivil.

Exactly. If an opinion is laced with vulgar labels, it overshadows the crux of whatever the person doing it wants to get across. I'm certainly not averse to using an obscenity as a punctuation, but when someone uses profanity in every other phrase or sentence, whatever they're trying to say loses any credibility.

Civility is boring.

The problem with being uncivil in politics is that the attitude carries over into everything else in your personal life. People get used to shouting MORON all the time, and they start doing it at home, on the job, in bars (way dangerous). A mild example is I find myself saying FUCK a lot more than I ever did before, and that's because I have no hesitation using it on an anonymous message board, but I also find myself forgetting that I shouldn't use it anywhere else.

Actually, I rather hope one or more of the GOP hopefuls tears Obama a new one. Go after him, go after him by name, attack the hell out of his policies and call it for what it is.

Now, no doubt they will be labeled a racist, by I say, who cares?

Might be worthwhile to look to that great political observer Stephen Colbert..

He is perhaps the greatest slayer of cheats, liars, theives, and politicians of our age. It takes TALENT to know WHEN and HOW to dress-down an opponent. It's not as simple as "dragging a $20 bill thru a trailer park". And he only attacks the truly deserving.

The most obnoxious part of the incivility we live with today is how undeserved some of it truly is. Not based on fact -- but on allegiances. And all the foul-mouthed comedians and Letterman types out there ought to really watch and learn how it's done effectively.

Colbert? Liberals pretending to be conservative are never very effective at it.

What makes you think he's conservative?

Just my two cents worth. The New Hamspire debate didn't provide all that much enlightenment and there were no surprises, but I enjoyed it. For the first time I was able to see these guys (and one gal) being themselves, just competently answering questions and being civil to each other. I came away with a better sense of the possibilities of each and feeling much better about the field as a whole. I liked each one better than I did before.

One that I will especially want will hopefully rise to the top. I still don't know who I want that to be. But I am now quite comfortable that any one of the them would be better than what we now have.

And it was fun watching the CNN host keep trying to start food fights and being unable to do so.

I thought it was an excellent debate, and run better than any other I've ever seen, even with John King constantly being cued to move it along. I was glad to see the positions of all the candidates laid out and none of them acting maniacal.

Source

You mean like after Gifford's got shot and the left screamed for civility... and then lied and went straight back to their bullshit and violent rhetoric?
What amazes me is how quickly the people that call for civility are to abandon it.

What amazes ME is how rude and nasty they are WHILE calling for civility.

You mean like after Gifford's got shot and the left screamed for civility... and then lied and went straight back to their bullshit and violent rhetoric?

What amazes ME is how rude and nasty they are WHILE calling for civility.

Strictly speaking of the Giffords shooting, however, the question of incivility was seen as prompted by the right (Palin's cross-fires thing which led to her subsequent allegation that liberals were using the tragedy for political purposes). Then the left got angry at that, and the race for who can fling the most shit was back on. So the question is, who broke the momentary truce first? And does anyone really care when and by whom? It was bound to happen anyway.

If Wonky were actually civil, and not a pretender, he would not put people on ignore who point out how stupid he is. Ignoring people is rude, which makes his calls for civility hypocritical.

As for baggage, if someone wants to bring up something stupid, rude, arrogant, or obnoxious I said somewhere in order to prove that what I am saying somewhere else is a contradiction they certainly have that right. Unlike people who do not actually understand civility I understand it applies to everything I do, not just to what I want others to do.

Quantum, quite frankly, there are no "stupid" professional civil engineers in this country. Not do they only have to be astute mathematicians to the power of a zillion, some of them have well-developed right brains as well and use them to the good of their fellow man. I'm married to an engineer, and I know from 40 years of him giving his college-backed, mathematically correct, and safety-orientation insistence, sometimes everybody hates the engineer for pointing out what has to be done when they don't want to do it. Managers don't want to spend more money even when the writing is on the wall that safety is an issue that will amount to billions in lawsuits not to mention pain and suffering. Union guys hate engineers because engineers will pull them off the line for not wearing their safety helmet when the guy just wants to be free of a hat when sweat is running off his forehead, and he's mad as hell. Yet, no obituary was written for linemen with a dented cranium-style death, because the stubborn engineer forced them to do right, played his ace of removing them from the job for long enough to wear the damn helmet, which nobody wanted to do. Sometimes, you can't have it both ways.

That being said, you're a good and highly experienced political man who has stars of service to his country on his cap that none of us has a clue about, and you're smart as well. I'd like to see you getting along with someone who views the universe from an entirely different perspective, and is just as unwilling to take it in the mush as you are being on an iggy list.

Me, being the consummate army brat as ever, am willing to referee this little difference even if I have to be hated by both of you by playing General Smartmouth: Quantum Windbag, be civil to Wonky. Wonky Pundit, take Quantum off your Iggy List and stop taking his smarm personal.

Left, left, left right left; left, left, left right left...

I really don't take what QW says personally. He thinks I want to dictate how people here talk, but he's wrong about that. I only want to dictate how people talk to me. I consider this a fairly fundamental right that everyone has.

IMO, when someone calls your ideas stupid, that's one thing. But when they call you stupid, it's obvious that they care more about trolling and pissing matches than they do about the issues. That kind of behavior is the only reason I ever put anyone on ignore, and I never do it without warning.

Which is dictating how people talk, fuckwit.

Source

I've been calling for civility ever since Clinton-bashing was in vogue.

There are exceptions, Miss Manners, yourself, and a few others. But you actually prove my point, civil people do not impose by decree, they provide examples, and engage even the people who are not civil. Ignoring people is very poor manners. Truly civil people are above that type of behavior, yet still capable of putting people in their place when they need to be. I, being an amateur, have to resort to calling people stupid occasionally, but I admire the skill of those who can let people know they are stupid without actually saying it.

Just my two cents worth. The New Hamspire debate didn't provide all that much enlightenment and there were no surprises, but I enjoyed it. For the first time I was able to see these guys (and one gal) being themselves, just competently answering questions and being civil to each other. I came away with a better sense of the possibilities of each and feeling much better about the field as a whole. I liked each one better than I did before.

One that I will especially want will hopefully rise to the top. I still don't know who I want that to be. But I am now quite comfortable that any one of the them would be better than what we now have.

And it was fun watching the CNN host keep trying to start food fights and being unable to do so.

I thought it was an excellent debate, and run better than any other I've ever seen, even with John King constantly being cued to move it along. I was glad to see the positions of all the candidates laid out and none of them acting maniacal.

I thought it was a bit childish, and reflected poorly on CNN. Blackberry v iPhone? Who the fuck cares?

Quantum, quite frankly, there are no "stupid" professional civil engineers in this country.

Quite frankly, that is the stupidest thing you could possibly say. It is quite possible for an engineer to be a savant in math, and completely incompetent at everything else, including passing an intelligence test.

Rdean is a civil engineer, and he is incredibly stupid.

Not do they only have to be astute mathematicians to the power of a zillion, some of them have well-developed right brains as well and use them to the good of their fellow man. I'm married to an engineer, and I know from 40 years of him giving his college-backed, mathematically correct, and safety-orientation insistence, sometimes everybody hates the engineer for pointing out what has to be done when they don't want to do it. Managers don't want to spend more money even when the writing is on the wall that safety is an issue that will amount to billions in lawsuits not to mention pain and suffering. Union guys hate engineers because engineers will pull them off the line for not wearing their safety helmet when the guy just wants to be free of a hat when sweat is running off his forehead, and he's mad as hell. Yet, no obituary was written for linemen with a dented cranium-style death, because the stubborn engineer forced them to do right, played his ace of removing them from the job for long enough to wear the damn helmet, which nobody wanted to do. Sometimes, you can't have it both ways.

I have never hated engineers. I have, however, learned that they can be wrong.

That being said, you're a good and highly experienced political man who has stars of service to his country on his cap that none of us has a clue about, and you're smart as well. I'd like to see you getting along with someone who views the universe from an entirely different perspective, and is just as unwilling to take it in the mush as you are being on an iggy list.

I do, I just refuse to cooperate with anyone who tries to tell me how to conduct myself in any way. If someone does not like the way I talk, fuck them, I am not obligated to change so that they are not offended. The very idea that anyone would ask this of anyone else offends me to my core, and should offend everyone. Wonky does not get to dictate how people talk anywhere unless he owns the forum where the talking is taking place, and as long as I do not violate the rules here at USMB, which I am perfectly willing to do if I think the situation merits it, no one here has a right to tell me how to respond to their posts.

I actually enjoy being on ignore lists of anyone who threatens me. Wonky might think that he is scoring points by having me on his iggy list, but all he does is, as I said before, is reveal his true colors. If he really cared about other opinions he would not have anyone on his ignore list, no matter how rude they are.

I am proud of the fact that I have no one on mine, and that I never neg rep anyone. I even thank people who neg rep me, because I actually believe in manners. I just do not believe in going overboard with them.

Me, being the consummate army brat as ever, am willing to referee this little difference even if I have to be hated by both of you by playing General Smartmouth: Quantum Windbag, be civil to Wonky. Wonky Pundit, take Quantum off your Iggy List and stop taking his smarm personal.

Referee away. I don't hate anyone, and enjoy smartmouthed people. I tend to be a smartass myself, and respect anyone who is one.

I am always civil, I just refuse to always say nice things, especially if someone is being a complete idiot. Read my posts to rdean if yu don't believe me, he is often an idiot, but he never takes it personally because he, in turn, is civil.

Yah, okay, yah, yah... but this:

Quite frankly, that is the stupidest thing you could possibly say. It is quite possible for an engineer to be a savant in math, and completely incompetent at everything else, including passing an intelligence test.​

In my years of being the wife of a very good professional engineer in good standing and attended many years of their Professional Engineer's mathcounts programs and dinners for hardworking participants, I can only tell you that imho of being around them all the time, you don't have to know all they know to understand that they know each other's work, are interested in that work, and keep each other on their toes with the purpose of seeing to it that right is done in all aspects where engineering helps mankind without visiting harm on others on account of their skills in accuracy. Quite frankly, it was the most correct and well-thought and well-understood thing a person could say about a totally unappreciated segment of society that saves more lives than other types of heros in society by virtue of their adherence to higher goals of safety and goodness for others. I'm right, and you're not. My husband's group of helpful fellows were split 50-50 between either being conservatives or liberals, and in their case, I'd feel safe if any of them served in public office in my area, because I know the integrity and honesty that each man takes when he is inducted into the Professional Engineer category. First off, you have to pass a math test even smart people may study a year to pass, following 5 years engaged in one form of engineering or another. Then, after a career of service, and into retirement, they are still required to achieve 30 points a year, which is equivalent to just about 30 college credits, plus pass a rigorous re-exam periodically.

I don't think you have any clue as to the difference between a professional engineer and a practicing, degreed engineer. A professional engineer has to have the sponsorship of 7 other professional engineers who think he is made outta the right stuff to serve and protect other people in society by standing up for what is mathematically and structurally a right, good, and safe project that is immaculately planned, executed, and inspected for any error following completion of the project, whether it takes a few months, a few years, or two lifetimes to complete. They have to help each other out to keep that education and focus going.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I have first-hand knowledge news for you. I'd put any bonafide professional engineering man up against almost anybody else for one who has been through the fire and is a stronger, finer man or woman than most when it comes to concern with a plan of action for others. They have experienced the scrutiny of other professionals and earned their place to participate in the most gruelling, difficult projects ever devised by man to improve the lives of others and are responsible for the world's greatest water systems, sewage disposal, safest methods and constructions of safe buildings in earthquake country, dams, electrical delivery, safe gas distribution, automobile safety designs, etc. You name it, those good guys are there giving hints on how to better your collective lives, and they are highly successful people.

I think you should give Mr. Wonky a second chance. He already knows he's Wonky, and he's upfront with a humorous avatar that got him a lot of jibes on the introductory board, but he persevered, and he did not run away from you or anybody else, and he delivered you a warning before iggying you. Also imho, if you're going to devil him over his rather neutral approach to debate, it's your loss, and you know it too, don't you.

The reason I know that is because I know you're not a stupid man, Quantum Windbag, although that seems to be your favorite flame for those with whom you do not see eye to eye. I don't iggy people, but neither do I let them perpetually use me to get their point across to someone else. Yes, there are some things I am stupid about, but I know what professional engineers are all about, and that is good things for others.

That is also my finding of Mr. Wonky Pundit. He works on sound theses, and he does it willfully for the common good. That is all.

Source

You ain't got a clue or a place to put one wonkey. Americans have depended on the media for political balance since the Federalists were writing essays in the 1780's. The problem today is that the liberal media has become part of the administration. There are a hundred potential investigative media stories but the investigative reporters are busy playing golf while Washington burns.

Oh, yeah, and there's just one more thing I forgot to say about the Professional Engineers. They take an oath to their peers that they will tell the truth, which can be easily verified mathematically so that people who work with them know they are telling them everything. If you say something that is not right to one of them, not only can he prove you wrong, he can recruit others to independently verify who is right and who is not right.

You said he was stupid and you are wrong. You did it again and again, and he did the right thing himself because he knows he is not as you said. He has to. He took the oath of truth-telling.

And if you want to hear some nicey-nicey things, you'll probably have to talk to someone else for the duration, and it's definitely your loss, because you only want to hear what you already think.

If you held yourself to the same standards as he, how long would you last in a room full of demanding personas who wanted to hear a yes-man response? He's right, and he's not backing down. Bullying him is not going to get you that. It's all over except your apology, which from everything you have announced heretofore ain't gonna happen.

Enjoy your little yes-man world. It's a hell of a lot easier than the proof of truth world which Mr. Wonky Pundit has chosen.

Quantum, quite frankly, there are no "stupid" professional civil engineers in this country.

Quite frankly, that is the stupidest thing you could possibly say. It is quite possible for an engineer to be a savant in math, and completely incompetent at everything else, including passing an intelligence test.

Rdean is a civil engineer, and he is incredibly stupid.

I have never hated engineers. I have, however, learned that they can be wrong.

I do, I just refuse to cooperate with anyone who tries to tell me how to conduct myself in any way. If someone does not like the way I talk, fuck them, I am not obligated to change so that they are not offended. The very idea that anyone would ask this of anyone else offends me to my core, and should offend everyone. Wonky does not get to dictate how people talk anywhere unless he owns the forum where the talking is taking place, and as long as I do not violate the rules here at USMB, which I am perfectly willing to do if I think the situation merits it, no one here has a right to tell me how to respond to their posts.

I actually enjoy being on ignore lists of anyone who threatens me. Wonky might think that he is scoring points by having me on his iggy list, but all he does is, as I said before, is reveal his true colors. If he really cared about other opinions he would not have anyone on his ignore list, no matter how rude they are.

I am proud of the fact that I have no one on mine, and that I never neg rep anyone. I even thank people who neg rep me, because I actually believe in manners. I just do not believe in going overboard with them.

Referee away. I don't hate anyone, and enjoy smartmouthed people. I tend to be a smartass myself, and respect anyone who is one.

I am always civil, I just refuse to always say nice things, especially if someone is being a complete idiot. Read my posts to rdean if yu don't believe me, he is often an idiot, but he never takes it personally because he, in turn, is civil.

Yah, okay, yah, yah... but this:
Quite frankly, that is the stupidest thing you could possibly say. It is quite possible for an engineer to be a savant in math, and completely incompetent at everything else, including passing an intelligence test.​
In my years of being the wife of a very good professional engineer in good standing and attended many years of their Professional Engineer's mathcounts programs and dinners for hardworking participants, I can only tell you that imho of being around them all the time, you don't have to know all they know to understand that they know each other's work, are interested in that work, and keep each other on their toes with the purpose of seeing to it that right is done in all aspects where engineering helps mankind without visiting harm on others on account of their skills in accuracy. Quite frankly, it was the most correct and well-thought and well-understood thing a person could say about a totally unappreciated segment of society that saves more lives than other types of heros in society by virtue of their adherence to higher goals of safety and goodness for others. I'm right, and you're not. My husband's group of helpful fellows were split 50-50 between either being conservatives or liberals, and in their case, I'd feel safe if any of them served in public office in my area, because I know the integrity and honesty that each man takes when he is inducted into the Professional Engineer category. First off, you have to pass a math test even smart people may study a year to pass, following 5 years engaged in one form of engineering or another. Then, after a career of service, and into retirement, they are still required to achieve 30 points a year, which is equivalent to just about 30 college credits, plus pass a rigorous re-exam periodically.

I don't think you have any clue as to the difference between a professional engineer and a practicing, degreed engineer. A professional engineer has to have the sponsorship of 7 other professional engineers who think he is made outta the right stuff to serve and protect other people in society by standing up for what is mathematically and structurally a right, good, and safe project that is immaculately planned, executed, and inspected for any error following completion of the project, whether it takes a few months, a few years, or two lifetimes to complete. They have to help each other out to keep that education and focus going.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I have first-hand knowledge news for you. I'd put any bonafide professional engineering man up against almost anybody else for one who has been through the fire and is a stronger, finer man or woman than most when it comes to concern with a plan of action for others. They have experienced the scrutiny of other professionals and earned their place to participate in the most gruelling, difficult projects ever devised by man to improve the lives of others and are responsible for the world's greatest water systems, sewage disposal, safest methods and constructions of safe buildings in earthquake country, dams, electrical delivery, safe gas distribution, automobile safety designs, etc. You name it, those good guys are there giving hints on how to better your collective lives, and they are highly successful people.

I think you should give Mr. Wonky a second chance. He already knows he's Wonky, and he's upfront with a humorous avatar that got him a lot of jibes on the introductory board, but he persevered, and he did not run away from you or anybody else, and he delivered you a warning before iggying you. Also imho, if you're going to devil him over his rather neutral approach to debate, it's your loss, and you know it too, don't you.

The reason I know that is because I know you're not a stupid man, Quantum Windbag, although that seems to be your favorite flame for those with whom you do not see eye to eye. I don't iggy people, but neither do I let them perpetually use me to get their point across to someone else. Yes, there are some things I am stupid about, but I know what professional engineers are all about, and that is good things for others.

That is also my finding of Mr. Wonky Pundit. He works on sound theses, and he does it willfully for the common good. That is all.

I respect engineers, I just recognize that they can be as ignorant about things outside their areas of expertise as anyone else. I do not believe anyone is stupid because of their job, the way they talk, or anything else. I personally know a guy who has picked up trash for the last 30 years who is a member of Mensa. He likes the work because it gives him a lot of time to think.

I call people stupid not because they are unintelligent, but because everyone is stupid at different times. I call myself stupid, and never take it personally.

I am not using you to get my point across to anyone, I am responding to you as a person. You felt a need to mediate between me and someone else, and I respect that.

I don't believe the common good is served by anyone who is not willing to be offended. If Wonky really wants to serve the common good he needs to get over his pretension that the world is required to be nice to him. You might want to let him know that.

Or not, I don't care.

Oh, yeah, and there's just one more thing I forgot to say about the Professional Engineers. They take an oath to their peers that they will tell the truth, which can be easily verified mathematically so that people who work with them know they are telling them everything. If you say something that is not right to one of them, not only can he prove you wrong, he can recruit others to independently verify who is right and who is not right.

You said he was stupid and you are wrong. You did it again and again, and he did the right thing himself because he knows he is not as you said. He has to. He took the oath of truth-telling.

And if you want to hear some nicey-nicey things, you'll probably have to talk to someone else for the duration, and it's definitely your loss, because you only want to hear what you already think.

If you held yourself to the same standards as he, how long would you last in a room full of demanding personas who wanted to hear a yes-man response? He's right, and he's not backing down. Bullying him is not going to get you that. It's all over except your apology, which from everything you have announced heretofore ain't gonna happen.

Enjoy your little yes-man world. It's a hell of a lot easier than the proof of truth world which Mr. Wonky Pundit has chosen.

You cannot mathematically verify a political opinion. On top of that, everyone lies. The only time that oath would apply, if he actually honors it, is when he is talking professionally, not personally.

When he is stupid he is stupid.

When he is not he is not.

That is exactly what I mean.

We go from this.

Wasserman Schultz urges more civility after Giffords shooting - Sun Sentinel

To this.

Wasserman-Schultz stands by claim that GOP budget is a "death trap" for seniors - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

And idiots like Wonky here only see the call for civility, ignoring the attacks by the exact same people.

I read and reread Mr. Pundit's posts, and he is covering civility in America, not any particular issue such as the mean things that were said about people who had nothing to do with the shooting. I'm pretty certain Mr. Wonky delivered a fair and balanced couple of posts so far. That's as far from idiotic as it gets.

What happens on a thread should stay on that same thread. You wouldn't be carrying some baggage from elsewhere, would you?

We need civility, and we need it every day. I know it when I see it.

Wonky's posts have been exemplery for there civility. Unlike either Wingbag, or myself. Differance is, I recognize civility, Windbag just sees weakness.

That is exactly what I mean.

We go from this.

Wasserman Schultz urges more civility after Giffords shooting - Sun Sentinel

To this.

Wasserman-Schultz stands by claim that GOP budget is a "death trap" for seniors - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

And idiots like Wonky here only see the call for civility, ignoring the attacks by the exact same people.

I read and reread Mr. Pundit's posts, and he is covering civility in America, not any particular issue such as the mean things that were said about people who had nothing to do with the shooting. I'm pretty certain Mr. Wonky delivered a fair and balanced couple of posts so far. That's as far from idiotic as it gets.

What happens on a thread should stay on that same thread. You wouldn't be carrying some baggage from elsewhere, would you?

We need civility, and we need it every day. I know it when I see it.

Wonky's posts have been exemplery for there civility. Unlike either Wingbag, or myself. Differance is, I recognize civility, Windbag just sees weakness.

I recognize civility and intelligence when I see it. Wonky was doing fine on both counts before he tried to dictate the way people talk to him. That proved he is lacking in both. Civil people ignore incivility, they do not ignore people.

An example from an actual expert in civility.

Gently. You don’t want these people to stop adoring you. Or the others to get out of line.So you should turn to look the intruder full in the face and, with a regretful but pleasant expression, say, “Let me just finish with the line here and I’ll be glad to talk to you.”
Miss Manners understands that politeness is not necessarily the attraction of a musician. Classical musicians are supposed to seem eccentrically absorbed, and popular musicians are supposed to seem egocentrically hostile. You’ll just have to trust Miss Manners on this.

Miss Manners: Musician’s admirers are sometimes out of line - The Washington Post

Forum List

Back