Incivility makes us tune out

You mean like after Gifford's got shot and the left screamed for civility... and then lied and went straight back to their bullshit and violent rhetoric?
What amazes me is how quickly the people that call for civility are to abandon it.

That is exactly what I mean.

We go from this.

Wasserman Schultz urges more civility after Giffords shooting - Sun Sentinel

To this.

Wasserman-Schultz stands by claim that GOP budget is a "death trap" for seniors - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

And idiots like Wonky here only see the call for civility, ignoring the attacks by the exact same people.

I read and reread Mr. Pundit's posts, and he is covering civility in America, not any particular issue such as the mean things that were said about people who had nothing to do with the shooting. I'm pretty certain Mr. Wonky delivered a fair and balanced couple of posts so far. That's as far from idiotic as it gets.

What happens on a thread should stay on that same thread. You wouldn't be carrying some baggage from elsewhere, would you?

Methinks it's something to do with my ignore list, perhaps.

Although I must admit, having a "well-chosen" ignore list certainly makes USMB look many times more civil. :lol:

You mean like after Gifford's got shot and the left screamed for civility... and then lied and went straight back to their bullshit and violent rhetoric?
What amazes me is how quickly the people that call for civility are to abandon it.

We go from this.

To this.

Wasserman-Schultz stands by claim that GOP budget is a "death trap" for seniors - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

And idiots like Wonky here only see the call for civility, ignoring the attacks by the exact same people.

I read and reread Mr. Pundit's posts, and he is covering civility in America, not any particular issue such as the mean things that were said about people who had nothing to do with the shooting. I'm pretty certain Mr. Wonky delivered a fair and balanced couple of posts so far. That's as far from idiotic as it gets.

What happens on a thread should stay on that same thread. You wouldn't be carrying some baggage from elsewhere, would you?

We need civility, and we need it every day. I know it when I see it.

If Wonky were actually civil, and not a pretender, he would not put people on ignore who point out how stupid he is. Ignoring people is rude, which makes his calls for civility hypocritical.

As for baggage, if someone wants to bring up something stupid, rude, arrogant, or obnoxious I said somewhere in order to prove that what I am saying somewhere else is a contradiction they certainly have that right. Unlike people who do not actually understand civility I understand it applies to everything I do, not just to what I want others to do.

We go from this.

To this.

Methinks it's something to do with my ignore list, perhaps.

Although I must admit, having a "well-chosen" ignore list certainly makes USMB look many times more civil. :lol:

Thank you for helping me make my point.

Incivility shouldnt make people tune out. Rather it should make people put in an effort to be civil. Civility is it's own reward because you are more likely to find the truth and convince others of it being civil than being uncivil.

I haven't noticed that. The libturds savaged Bush like no one has ever seen before, and he was perfectly civil the whole time.

Last edited:
Civilization has been insidiously loosing it's civility for some time now

no, there's no known metric for it, other than the subjection to the old timers , or maybe old movies that portray the gestalt of times gone past

That said, the political arena has parlayed incivility as a tool , mostly sucked up by partisans, in an obvious atempt to have us at each other's throats , instead of thiers...

We go from this.

To this.

If Wonky were actually civil, and not a pretender, he would not put people on ignore who point out how stupid he is. Ignoring people is rude, which makes his calls for civility hypocritical.

As for baggage, if someone wants to bring up something stupid, rude, arrogant, or obnoxious I said somewhere in order to prove that what I am saying somewhere else is a contradiction they certainly have that right. Unlike people who do not actually understand civility I understand it applies to everything I do, not just to what I want others to do.

Quantum, quite frankly, there are no "stupid" professional civil engineers in this country. Not do they only have to be astute mathematicians to the power of a zillion, some of them have well-developed right brains as well and use them to the good of their fellow man. I'm married to an engineer, and I know from 40 years of him giving his college-backed, mathematically correct, and safety-orientation insistence, sometimes everybody hates the engineer for pointing out what has to be done when they don't want to do it. Managers don't want to spend more money even when the writing is on the wall that safety is an issue that will amount to billions in lawsuits not to mention pain and suffering. Union guys hate engineers because engineers will pull them off the line for not wearing their safety helmet when the guy just wants to be free of a hat when sweat is running off his forehead, and he's mad as hell. Yet, no obituary was written for linemen with a dented cranium-style death, because the stubborn engineer forced them to do right, played his ace of removing them from the job for long enough to wear the damn helmet, which nobody wanted to do. Sometimes, you can't have it both ways.

That being said, you're a good and highly experienced political man who has stars of service to his country on his cap that none of us has a clue about, and you're smart as well. I'd like to see you getting along with someone who views the universe from an entirely different perspective, and is just as unwilling to take it in the mush as you are being on an iggy list.

Me, being the consummate army brat as ever, am willing to referee this little difference even if I have to be hated by both of you by playing General Smartmouth: Quantum Windbag, be civil to Wonky. Wonky Pundit, take Quantum off your Iggy List and stop taking his smarm personal.

Left, left, left right left; left, left, left right left...

Incivility makes us tune out

shut-up-hippie-nixon.jpg

sammy-davis-archie-bunker-kiss.jpg

Quantum, quite frankly, there are no "stupid" professional civil engineers in this country.

Quite frankly, that is the stupidest thing you could possibly say. It is quite possible for an engineer to be a savant in math, and completely incompetent at everything else, including passing an intelligence test.

Rdean is a civil engineer, and he is incredibly stupid.

Not do they only have to be astute mathematicians to the power of a zillion, some of them have well-developed right brains as well and use them to the good of their fellow man. I'm married to an engineer, and I know from 40 years of him giving his college-backed, mathematically correct, and safety-orientation insistence, sometimes everybody hates the engineer for pointing out what has to be done when they don't want to do it. Managers don't want to spend more money even when the writing is on the wall that safety is an issue that will amount to billions in lawsuits not to mention pain and suffering. Union guys hate engineers because engineers will pull them off the line for not wearing their safety helmet when the guy just wants to be free of a hat when sweat is running off his forehead, and he's mad as hell. Yet, no obituary was written for linemen with a dented cranium-style death, because the stubborn engineer forced them to do right, played his ace of removing them from the job for long enough to wear the damn helmet, which nobody wanted to do. Sometimes, you can't have it both ways.

I have never hated engineers. I have, however, learned that they can be wrong.

That being said, you're a good and highly experienced political man who has stars of service to his country on his cap that none of us has a clue about, and you're smart as well. I'd like to see you getting along with someone who views the universe from an entirely different perspective, and is just as unwilling to take it in the mush as you are being on an iggy list.

I do, I just refuse to cooperate with anyone who tries to tell me how to conduct myself in any way. If someone does not like the way I talk, fuck them, I am not obligated to change so that they are not offended. The very idea that anyone would ask this of anyone else offends me to my core, and should offend everyone. Wonky does not get to dictate how people talk anywhere unless he owns the forum where the talking is taking place, and as long as I do not violate the rules here at USMB, which I am perfectly willing to do if I think the situation merits it, no one here has a right to tell me how to respond to their posts.

I actually enjoy being on ignore lists of anyone who threatens me. Wonky might think that he is scoring points by having me on his iggy list, but all he does is, as I said before, is reveal his true colors. If he really cared about other opinions he would not have anyone on his ignore list, no matter how rude they are.

I am proud of the fact that I have no one on mine, and that I never neg rep anyone. I even thank people who neg rep me, because I actually believe in manners. I just do not believe in going overboard with them.

Me, being the consummate army brat as ever, am willing to referee this little difference even if I have to be hated by both of you by playing General Smartmouth: Quantum Windbag, be civil to Wonky. Wonky Pundit, take Quantum off your Iggy List and stop taking his smarm personal.

Referee away. I don't hate anyone, and enjoy smartmouthed people. I tend to be a smartass myself, and respect anyone who is one.

I am always civil, I just refuse to always say nice things, especially if someone is being a complete idiot. Read my posts to rdean if yu don't believe me, he is often an idiot, but he never takes it personally because he, in turn, is civil.

Quantum, quite frankly, there are no "stupid" professional civil engineers in this country. Not do they only have to be astute mathematicians to the power of a zillion, some of them have well-developed right brains as well and use them to the good of their fellow man. I'm married to an engineer, and I know from 40 years of him giving his college-backed, mathematically correct, and safety-orientation insistence, sometimes everybody hates the engineer for pointing out what has to be done when they don't want to do it. Managers don't want to spend more money even when the writing is on the wall that safety is an issue that will amount to billions in lawsuits not to mention pain and suffering. Union guys hate engineers because engineers will pull them off the line for not wearing their safety helmet when the guy just wants to be free of a hat when sweat is running off his forehead, and he's mad as hell. Yet, no obituary was written for linemen with a dented cranium-style death, because the stubborn engineer forced them to do right, played his ace of removing them from the job for long enough to wear the damn helmet, which nobody wanted to do. Sometimes, you can't have it both ways.

I really don't take what QW says personally. He thinks I want to dictate how people here talk, but he's wrong about that. I only want to dictate how people talk to me. I consider this a fairly fundamental right that everyone has.

IMO, when someone calls your ideas stupid, that's one thing. But when they call you stupid, it's obvious that they care more about trolling and pissing matches than they do about the issues. That kind of behavior is the only reason I ever put anyone on ignore, and I never do it without warning.

Civil; adjective...of citizens in their ordinary capacity, or of the ordinary life and affairs of citizens, as distinguished from military and ecclesiastical life and affairs.

I always knew politicians were ecclesiastical.

Might be worthwhile to look to that great political observer Stephen Colbert..

He is perhaps the greatest slayer of cheats, liars, theives, and politicians of our age. It takes TALENT to know WHEN and HOW to dress-down an opponent. It's not as simple as "dragging a $20 bill thru a trailer park". And he only attacks the truly deserving.

The most obnoxious part of the incivility we live with today is how undeserved some of it truly is. Not based on fact -- but on allegiances. And all the foul-mouthed comedians and Letterman types out there ought to really watch and learn how it's done effectively.

He is perhaps the greatest slayer of cheats, liars, theives, and politicians of our age. It takes TALENT to know WHEN and HOW to dress-down an opponent. It's not as simple as "dragging a $20 bill thru a trailer park". And he only attacks the truly deserving.

The most obnoxious part of the incivility we live with today is how undeserved some of it truly is. Not based on fact -- but on allegiances. And all the foul-mouthed comedians and Letterman types out there ought to really watch and learn how it's done effectively.

Colbert? Liberals pretending to be conservative are never very effective at it.

Freedombecki:

Quantum, quite frankly, there are no "stupid" professional civil engineers in this country. Not do they only have to be astute mathematicians to the power of a zillion, some of them have well-developed right brains as well and use them to the good of their fellow man. I'm married to an engineer, and I know from 40 years of him giving his college-backed, mathematically correct, and safety-orientation insistence, sometimes everybody hates the engineer for pointing out what has to be done when they don't want to do it.

It's abought time us engineers were recognized for our SEXY quality of being superior at protecting our mates. Who else is gonna insist that you should really read that manual that comes with the new toaster?

Here's a good example. Are U SURE percy -- that's he's a liberal? Is it IMPORTANT to his success? I contend that Jon Stewart for example WAS effective and civil BEFORE he allowed his true politics to dominate. By PLAYING a conservative, it allows Colbert an air of civility that makes ALL viewers comfortable with his sharp wit. (and his impersonation has to be good to be funny).

Here's a good example. Are U SURE percy -- that's he's a liberal? Is it IMPORTANT to his success? I contend that Jon Stewart for example WAS effective and civil BEFORE he allowed his true politics to dominate. By PLAYING a conservative, it allows Colbert an air of civility that makes ALL viewers comfortable with his sharp wit. (and his impersonation has to be good to be funny).

Colbert is a faux conservative. Nothing wrong with that. I find him funny. Ever watch his interview with George Will? Hilarious.

Last edited:
Just my two cents worth. The New Hamspire debate didn't provide all that much enlightenment and there were no surprises, but I enjoyed it. For the first time I was able to see these guys (and one gal) being themselves, just competently answering questions and being civil to each other. I came away with a better sense of the possibilities of each and feeling much better about the field as a whole. I liked each one better than I did before.

One that I will especially want will hopefully rise to the top. I still don't know who I want that to be. But I am now quite comfortable that any one of the them would be better than what we now have.

And it was fun watching the CNN host keep trying to start food fights and being unable to do so.

There's a reason the media seemed disappointed about the New Hampshire debate. Not enough mud.

Some 85 percent of Americans think politics is becoming increasingly uncivil, and 74 percent think incivility in the 2012 presidential race will worsen. Some 35 percent blame the media for this, and 27 percent blame political party leaders.

In last week's Republican debate, the candidates were very civil to each other to the dismay of the media. But that may have been smart: A whopping 90 percent of Americans surveyed say "the way the candidate treats and deals with people he or she disagrees with" is of high importance to how they will cast their votes, and 88 percent say "the candidate's tone or level of civility" is of high importance.
Source

Their civility to each other was only because at this early point in time, they're all agreeing on only one thing: Get rid of Obama.

You'll see more bashing of each other as the months pass. They all need to start telling the general public not just what they stand for (as if we don't already know that), but what plans they have to implement changes they want.

Forum List

Back