Incivility makes us tune out

Wonky Pundit

USMB's Silent Snowden
Apr 30, 2011
Quisitive
There's a reason the media seemed disappointed about the New Hampshire debate. Not enough mud.

Some 85 percent of Americans think politics is becoming increasingly uncivil, and 74 percent think incivility in the 2012 presidential race will worsen. Some 35 percent blame the media for this, and 27 percent blame political party leaders.

In last week's Republican debate, the candidates were very civil to each other to the dismay of the media. But that may have been smart: A whopping 90 percent of Americans surveyed say "the way the candidate treats and deals with people he or she disagrees with" is of high importance to how they will cast their votes, and 88 percent say "the candidate's tone or level of civility" is of high importance.
Source

:razz:
There's a reason the media seemed disappointed about the New Hampshire debate. Not enough mud.

Some 85 percent of Americans think politics is becoming increasingly uncivil, and 74 percent think incivility in the 2012 presidential race will worsen. Some 35 percent blame the media for this, and 27 percent blame political party leaders.

In last week's Republican debate, the candidates were very civil to each other to the dismay of the media. But that may have been smart: A whopping 90 percent of Americans surveyed say "the way the candidate treats and deals with people he or she disagrees with" is of high importance to how they will cast their votes, and 88 percent say "the candidate's tone or level of civility" is of high importance.
Source

There are certain words that we only hear when Democrats are getting their collective butts kicked and civility is one of these words. I however have a very good memory and I remember the uncivil trash talk that spewed from liberals during the entire Bush Presidency. It's PAYBACK time Libs and nothing you can say will soften the butt whippin that's coming your way. O is toast and you all know it.

Last edited:

Source

What amazes me is how quickly the people that call for civility are to abandon it.

Source

There are certain words that we only hear when Democrats are getting their collective buts kicked and civility is one of these words. I however have a very good memory and I remember the uncivil trash talk that spewed from liberals during the entire Bush Presidency. It's PAYBACK time Libs and nothing you can say will soften the but whippin that's coming your way. O is toast and you all know it.

The stats from the survey don't say how many of the participants are Rs or Ds. As for O, he's vulnerable but I sure as hell wouldn't put money on him losing right now.

It makes me tune out around here. I have no interest in the interminable pissing contests that erupt, it pretty much blows up whatever conversation was going on.

Source

You mean like after Gifford's got shot and the left screamed for civility... and then lied and went straight back to their bullshit and violent rhetoric?
What amazes me is how quickly the people that call for civility are to abandon it.

Source

There are certain words that we only hear when Democrats are getting their collective buts kicked and civility is one of these words. I however have a very good memory and I remember the uncivil trash talk that spewed from liberals during the entire Bush Presidency. It's PAYBACK time Libs and nothing you can say will soften the but whippin that's coming your way. O is toast and you all know it.

The stats from the survey don't say how many of the participants are Rs or Ds. As for O, he's vulnerable but I sure as hell wouldn't put money on him losing right now.

The reason you are 100% on the mark is because it's happened before, and it can happen again.

Incivility shouldnt make people tune out. Rather it should make people put in an effort to be civil. Civility is it's own reward because you are more likely to find the truth and convince others of it being civil than being uncivil.

Source

You mean like after Gifford's got shot and the left screamed for civility... and then lied and went straight back to their bullshit and violent rhetoric?

That is exactly what I mean.

We go from this.

Wasserman Schultz urges more civility after Giffords shooting - Sun Sentinel

To this.

Wasserman-Schultz stands by claim that GOP budget is a "death trap" for seniors - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

And idiots like Wonky here only see the call for civility, ignoring the attacks by the exact same people.

Source

That's because most Americans are not ideologues.

That is exactly what I mean.

We go from this.

Wasserman Schultz urges more civility after Giffords shooting - Sun Sentinel

To this.

Wasserman-Schultz stands by claim that GOP budget is a "death trap" for seniors - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

And idiots like Wonky here only see the call for civility, ignoring the attacks by the exact same people.

I read and reread Mr. Pundit's posts, and he is covering civility in America, not any particular issue such as the mean things that were said about people who had nothing to do with the shooting. I'm pretty certain Mr. Wonky delivered a fair and balanced couple of posts so far. That's as far from idiotic as it gets.

What happens on a thread should stay on that same thread. You wouldn't be carrying some baggage from elsewhere, would you?

We need civility, and we need it every day. I know it when I see it.

Incivility makes us tune out

shut-up-hippie-nixon.jpg

Source
I disagree. It's not the lack of politeness and courtesy that causes Americans to tune out. It's the lies, misrepresentations, dirty tricks, and meaningless cliches.

Source
I disagree. It's not the lack of politeness and courtesy that causes Americans to tune out. It's the lies, misrepresentations, dirty tricks, and meaningless cliches.

Oh, I thought that is what occasionally wakes up the sleepin' giant. :D

Forum List

Back