In and Out

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
Things like movie theaters, (when most things are streaming these days anyways) and shopping centers (when most people shop online any more) I think have pretty much had their run and they won't be around much longer. Our mall is pretty much more like an entertainment place now than anything else. Can you guys think of anything else that is getting close to being done with and things that are still pretty big and popular?

Except for the huge Mall of America, the Twin Cities has seen the death of the indoor shopping malls that were in the first tier suburbs.
Gang elements hung out and customers no longer felt safe as fights and thefts took over the malls.
Now we have big box retail, and you are forced to drive acres across a parking lot to get to a different store becauseit is freezing out. I miss the mall in a cold climate.

When I first visited here 15 years ago, our local shopping mall was pretty good. Now it's a slum. It used to be anchored by Belk, JC Penney and Sears. Now, Belk is the only remaining store. Even all of the small stores have moved or gone belly up.

Jacksonville has the Avenues Mall, and it's vibrant and healthy. We have two local outlet malls. One is a Tanger outlet mall and it does well. The other is an indoor outlet mall, and it's slowly dying. The property has been sold and I believe all businesses must be out sometime this year so the building can be razed. I haven't heard what they're going to be building in its place.

Another example of what's going away? When was the last time you saw an operable pay phone? For me it was in New York City, in October of 2019...

They're pretty much already gone. Excluding the ones you read online that is.
I studied journalism in the sixties. At that time, the thought was that television was the down and dirty headline with little substance in the 60 or 90 seconds that a story was presented. The thought was that if you wanted more in depth news, you would go to the newspaper and get the whole story. Now newspapers just print the same headlines that television presents. In the US, we get five or six stories that Reuters or AP put out and that is all -- if the story meets the political agenda of the publisher. The only recourse you have is to research the story yourself (the journalist's job). Why do we need journalists at all. Any high schooler with a vocabulary past eighth grade can read the news that David Muir or Nora O'Donnell or Lester Holt read.

Video killed the Radio Star, and Amazon and the Plandemic killed your local mall.

My local mall isn't dead exactly. It still has:

Macy's
Dick's
Panera
A military recruiter
Movie theatre
Chinese buffet
A gym
Laser tag
A book store
A couple shoe stores and urban clothing stores
Snack shops
...and not much else.

It's a big mall and there used to be a lot more. The pet store is gone. Sears is gone. Penney's is gone. The CD store is gone. No more arcade, no miniature golf, several restaurants shut their doors, no more hippy 🌎 shop... Half the mall is vacant. The food court is totally shut down except maybe for a pretzel stand or pizza. I guess they figure having a Panera and a Chinese buffet is enough and they're probably right. Even cricket wireless pulled their kiosk out of there. But somehow I almost like it better without having herds of people shuffling around me.

Video killed the Radio Star, and Amazon and the Plandemic killed your local mall.

My local mall isn't dead exactly. It still has:

Macy's
Dick's
Panera
A military recruiter
Movie theatre
Chinese buffet
A gym
Laser tag
A book store
A couple shoe stores and urban clothing stores
Snack shops
...and not much else.

It's a big mall and there used to be a lot more. The pet store is gone. Sears is gone. Penney's is gone. The CD store is gone. No more arcade, no miniature golf, several restaurants shut their doors, no more hippy 🌎 shop... Half the mall is vacant. The food court is totally shut down except maybe for a pretzel stand or pizza. I guess they figure having a Panera and a Chinese buffet is enough and they're probably right. Even cricket wireless pulled their kiosk out of there. But somehow I almost like it better without having herds of people shuffling around me.
I was in the Houston/Galveston area pre scam demic and we came across a large mall in an area between the two towns. Figured it would have plenty of offerings. We walked from the motel across 100s of acres of parking lot only to find the place was virtually shut down. I think there might have been two stores of brands that I did not recognize. Brick and mortar are dinosaurs thanks to Amazon. I miss the days of being able to handle and inspect my purchases before buying.

Forum List

Back