Imagery in Religion: Dystopia?

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Muslims do not believe in creating images of their God (Allah) and therefore much of the art coming out of the Middle East is centered around abstractions of nature and geometric shapes.

Christians, on the other hand, are not opposed to circulating what they consider sacred images (e.g., paintings of the Shroud of Turin) to members of their faith.

You can even find novelty Jesus items (e.g., sandalwood Christ crosses, Jesus hologram toys, etc.) on eBay and in Christian antique stores.

This division between image-distribution and image-censorship is one of the defining features of the division between Christianity and Islam.

In the modern world, the circulation of images on photos on the Internet (e.g., Facebook) makes various copyright considerations and intellectual property laws/rights very important. As we navigate around Google Image searches, we find photos of ISIS terrorists dressed up in masks and photos/pictures of Jesus (religious, artistic, etc.).

In other words, is Facebook changing 'druid metaphysics'?

Could this trend bring religions together or drive them further apart?

jesus.jpg

The Double-Edged Sword

If we look at this issue from the perspective of 'shared beliefs' or 'alliances' (e.g., Jews allied to Christians --- as in Israel and America), then we can construct a framework for contractual storytelling (which helps us deal with the hairy issue of censorship).

Here, for example, is a hypothetical dialogue about mysticism colloquialism between Krishna (Hindu god of negotiation) and Shiva (Hindu god of destruction).

What is the dividing line between heresy and creativity?

====

KRISHNA: Let's pretend I'm the American comic book superhero Green Lantern (DC Comics).
SHIVA: Alright, then I'll pretend I'm the American comic book superhero Green Arrow (DC Comics).
KRISHNA: Do you think Westerners are more accepting of strange philosophies delivered by 'known avatars'?
SHIVA: I think it would be easier to digest, yes.
KRISHNA: Good, then let's present Hindu ideas through the lens of Western vigilantism comic book fables.
SHIVA: What do you mean?
KRISHNA: I will say, "Green Lantern loves the transcendental mysticism of fireflies, since it mirrors his ring!"
SHIVA: Right, then I can say, "Green Arrow loves the storytelling mystique surrounding archery!"
KRISHNA: Correct. Fireflies and arrows can both symbolize 'holistic motion.'
SHIVA: Holistic motion is an important concept in Hindu stories/myths (e.g., Karna's wheel).
KRISHNA: Right, so let's use these comic book avatars to relay ideas about 'magic.'
SHIVA: Isn't that heresy?
KRISHNA: It is only if we posit that 'substitution imagery' is absolutely confusing!
SHIVA: Let's hope that our audience is interested in theater.

====

Forum List

Back