I'm buying a ton of scallops - and you should too

Eww. What a way to destroy an expensive meal. :(

I'll never understand the idea of breading and frying when you could broil or bake ... :confused:
It's the only way I know how to cook em...I usually fry all of my seafood, don't know why but my taste buds prefer em fried. :D

Hmm ... never tried, but fried scallops would probably go great with fried crawfish. Got to remember to buy some scallops the next time I get some crawfish...
bf-mesvorksmiley.gif

What's your cholesterol level again? ;)

Broil or pan-sear lightly in butter. Ditch the flour and let the flavor come through.
Mrs. Jughead usually handles any cooking that's not fried. Pan-seared in butter does sound good. As for my cholesterol, the last time I saw my doc, for my routine checkup, he had me do the usual blood tests, and I got the usual results, which included low cholesterol. He told me that it was a tad too low (150s), and could only guess that my high metabolism may be to blame. I eat a lot of fast food, so it'd likely be even lower if I somehow were able to live without fast food. The doc appeared more concerned with my low blood pressure, which I've always had...lol

It's the only way I know how to cook em...I usually fry all of my seafood, don't know why but my taste buds prefer em fried. :D

Hmm ... never tried, but fried scallops would probably go great with fried crawfish. Got to remember to buy some scallops the next time I get some crawfish...
bf-mesvorksmiley.gif

What's your cholesterol level again? ;)

Broil or pan-sear lightly in butter. Ditch the flour and let the flavor come through.
Mrs. Jughead usually handles any cooking that's not fried. Pan-seared in butter does sound good. As for my cholesterol, the last time I saw my doc, for my routine checkup, he had me do the usual blood tests, and I got the usual results, which included low cholesterol. He told me that it was a tad too low (150s), and could only guess that my high metabolism may be to blame. I eat a lot of fast food, so it'd likely be even lower if I somehow were able to live without fast food. The doc appeared more concerned with my low blood pressure, which I've always had...lol

Yanno, that was my story too all through life, low BP, low choloesterol .... until the last doctor visit. :ack-1:

Your cholesterol being "too low" sounds like they're talking about HDL rather than LDL. Once the LDL goes up it can be quite a task to reduce it, much more than say losing weight. That's when they start handing out statins like candy.

You must be blessed with good genes to be able to eat like that for now -- but the day will doubtlessly come when they don't do that so well, and you're gonna have to be prepared for some changes, so ---- save that recipe. :eusa_angel:

They taste a lot better that way too, like scallops rather than breading. If you're gonna pay for expensive food you might as well savor it. Me, I'm normally a too-fast eater, but with scallops I go into slow motion and deliberate like a hung jury.

OK, I'm not buying a literal 2000 pound ton -- if I did that I'd eat 'em all in one sitting. :tongue: But get 'em while you can; they might not be around much longer.

Vancouver Sun:

>> Ten million scallops that have died in the waters near Qualicum Beach due to rising ocean acidity are the latest victims in a series of marine die-offs that have plagued the West Coast for a decade.

Human-caused carbon dioxide emissions in the atmosphere are being absorbed by the ocean and may have pushed local waters through a “tipping point” of acidity beyond which shellfish cannot survive, according to Chris Harley, a marine ecologist at the University of B.C. Rising ocean acidity is a global phenomenon, made worse by higher natural acidity in local waters, Harley said.

“I’ve seen pH measured down to about 7.2, so this is very much within the realm of possibility, though unfortunate and extreme,” he said. “We are in a hot spot in the Pacific Northwest.” The lower the pH, the higher the acidity. Local waters are typically a much-less-acidic 8.2.

High acidity interferes with the ability of baby scallops to form a protective shell, forcing them to expend more energy and making them more vulnerable to predators and infection.

... “In 2009 we started to notice significant problems in the hatchery and when we communicated with hatcheries in Washington, they were seeing the same thing,” he said. “Suddenly we were getting these low pH values. pH has been so stable that for a lot of years no one bothered to measure it, because it never changed. It was really startling.”

Scallop operations big and small are reporting die-offs this year. Mysterious scallop die-offs have also been reported in China since 1996.

Oyster die-offs in Washington state and Oregon dating back a decade have also been linked by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration researchers to acidification and rising carbon dioxide levels.

... Carbon dioxide concentrations that had been stable for as long as records were kept started to climb and, rather than correcting, they stayed high. By 2011, concentrations were verging on double the normal range, he said.
<<

(some emphasis added)

But you know what --- naaah, let's just continue to pretend dumping an unnatural balance of CO2 into the biosphere has no consequences. Addressing a bad practice is just so hard, let's take the path of least resistance, have an ice-cold Koch and get on with business as usual.

(/sarc)

Whatever "science" is part of this OP is laughable.. The pH "hotspot" off the Pacific coast comes NOT from OAcidification -- which is basically a SURFACE phenom. But from deep welling of COLD waters that can hold MORE CO2 down below.

Furthermore the entire oyster issue was misrepresented and misreported in the media.
The ACTUAL story was greedy oyster farmers trying to produce spawn YEAR LONG for a NON-NATIVE species that was ALLOWED to be farmed because the bay waters were TOO COLD for it to procreate naturally. Thus it would never be a threat to NATIVE oysters or become an invasive species.

IN FACT, a couple years back --- NOAA attempted to kill these baby oysters with MASSIVE DOSES of CO2 and failed miserably.. There are several threads by me in enviro forum with titles like "NOAA fails to kill baby oysters"..

One of the interesting findings from the NOAA study was that the oyster spawn had a hard time time surviving in the relatively LOW CO2 concentrations associated with PRE-industrial times as they had trouble when NOAA frantically turned up the spicket to CO2 levels representing many times the current levels.

LOTS OF PRESS when the problem "MIGHT BE" global warming -- virtually NO press after more science was done.. Same deal with the Scallops.. Might be"s make the headlines, but no one follows up on the findings.

And this shit about DOUBLING acidity ??? It's scientifically disingenuous. pH is measured on a log scale. So the Warmer Prophets often say that when the oceans went from 8.2 to 8.1 (still basic and NOT acidic) that the acidity of the oceans had increased by 33% !!!!

But on a log scale, pure glacial fresh water melt is 7.0 and is something like 1200% more acidic than ocean water. Best suit up in the foul weather gear to follow these stories kiddies... No hiding under the beds. No hoarding of scallops...

You almost gotta laugh that the blame America radical enviro true believers mistake a phrase "very much in the realm of possibility"... for scientific fact. It kind of explains the whole global warming experience.

OK, I'm not buying a literal 2000 pound ton -- if I did that I'd eat 'em all in one sitting. :tongue: But get 'em while you can; they might not be around much longer.

Vancouver Sun:

>> Ten million scallops that have died in the waters near Qualicum Beach due to rising ocean acidity are the latest victims in a series of marine die-offs that have plagued the West Coast for a decade.

Human-caused carbon dioxide emissions in the atmosphere are being absorbed by the ocean and may have pushed local waters through a “tipping point” of acidity beyond which shellfish cannot survive, according to Chris Harley, a marine ecologist at the University of B.C. Rising ocean acidity is a global phenomenon, made worse by higher natural acidity in local waters, Harley said.

“I’ve seen pH measured down to about 7.2, so this is very much within the realm of possibility, though unfortunate and extreme,” he said. “We are in a hot spot in the Pacific Northwest.” The lower the pH, the higher the acidity. Local waters are typically a much-less-acidic 8.2.

High acidity interferes with the ability of baby scallops to form a protective shell, forcing them to expend more energy and making them more vulnerable to predators and infection.

... “In 2009 we started to notice significant problems in the hatchery and when we communicated with hatcheries in Washington, they were seeing the same thing,” he said. “Suddenly we were getting these low pH values. pH has been so stable that for a lot of years no one bothered to measure it, because it never changed. It was really startling.”

Scallop operations big and small are reporting die-offs this year. Mysterious scallop die-offs have also been reported in China since 1996.

Oyster die-offs in Washington state and Oregon dating back a decade have also been linked by National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration researchers to acidification and rising carbon dioxide levels.

... Carbon dioxide concentrations that had been stable for as long as records were kept started to climb and, rather than correcting, they stayed high. By 2011, concentrations were verging on double the normal range, he said.
<<

(some emphasis added)

But you know what --- naaah, let's just continue to pretend dumping an unnatural balance of CO2 into the biosphere has no consequences. Addressing a bad practice is just so hard, let's take the path of least resistance, have an ice-cold Koch and get on with business as usual.

(/sarc)

Whatever "science" is part of this OP is laughable.. The pH "hotspot" off the Pacific coast comes NOT from OAcidification -- which is basically a SURFACE phenom. But from deep welling of COLD waters that can hold MORE CO2 down below.

Furthermore the entire oyster issue was misrepresented and misreported in the media.
The ACTUAL story was greedy oyster farmers trying to produce spawn YEAR LONG for a NON-NATIVE species that was ALLOWED to be farmed because the bay waters were TOO COLD for it to procreate naturally. Thus it would never be a threat to NATIVE oysters or become an invasive species.

IN FACT, a couple years back --- NOAA attempted to kill these baby oysters with MASSIVE DOSES of CO2 and failed miserably.. There are several threads by me in enviro forum with titles like "NOAA fails to kill baby oysters"..

One of the interesting findings from the NOAA study was that the oyster spawn had a hard time time surviving in the relatively LOW CO2 concentrations associated with PRE-industrial times as they had trouble when NOAA frantically turned up the spicket to CO2 levels representing many times the current levels.

LOTS OF PRESS when the problem "MIGHT BE" global warming -- virtually NO press after more science was done.. Same deal with the Scallops.. Might be"s make the headlines, but no one follows up on the findings.

And this shit about DOUBLING acidity ??? It's scientifically disingenuous. pH is measured on a log scale. So the Warmer Prophets often say that when the oceans went from 8.2 to 8.1 (still basic and NOT acidic) that the acidity of the oceans had increased by 33% !!!!

But on a log scale, pure glacial fresh water melt is 7.0 and is something like 1200% more acidic than ocean water. Best suit up in the foul weather gear to follow these stories kiddies...

This article was about neither oysters nor "global warming" -- you know that, right?

No hiding under the beds. No hoarding of scallops...

I would hoard scallops if I could. I can't let 'em sit uneaten. But for the interim I keep 'em in the freezer -- not under the bed. :puke:

You almost gotta laugh that the blame America radical enviro true believers mistake a phrase "very much in the realm of possibility"... for scientific fact. It kind of explains the whole global warming experience.

Nobody said it's "scientific fact" -- it actually says "may have pushed local waters through a “tipping point” of acidity". And it would be one factor among several. That doesn't equate to "scientific fact". That equates to analysis. Analysis always comes first.

For example, the reading disability you just displayed may have been caused by you being dropped on your head -- that's a theory, not a scientific fact.

Vancouver Sun:

<<

(some emphasis added)

(/sarc)

But on a log scale, pure glacial fresh water melt is 7.0 and is something like 1200% more acidic than ocean water. Best suit up in the foul weather gear to follow these stories kiddies...

This article was about neither oysters nor "global warming" -- you know that, right?

I would hoard scallops if I could. I can't let 'em sit uneaten. But for the interim I keep 'em in the freezer -- not under the bed. :puke:

Actually it IS about Global Warming in that those greedy Scallop farmers now want a piece of what the greedy Oyster farmers got and that's FREE research money to figure out how to UP their production levels.. More FED money available if you blame your problem on CO2. And you get your mussels and oysters and scallops all tested for FREE if you whine a lot..

Just for the record -- those "readings from the Vancouver Aquarium" were a good example of the media fraud covering these stories. The Bay went from 8.1 to 7.4 or so in just a FEW YEARS.. Well of course -- that's because of NATURAL VARIATIONS in those coastals areas are often that high..

From the Monterrey Bay Aquarium (the right-wing nemesis of the Vancouver Aquarium :lol:

image6.png

See where they got those scary kind of numbers?? Sleep well -- don't horde..
And the BEST prep is the old butter/lemon/garlic...

Actually it IS about Global Warming in that those greedy Scallop farmers now want a piece of what the greedy Oyster farmers got and that's FREE research money to figure out how to UP their production levels.. More FED money available if you blame your problem on CO2. And you get your mussels and oysters and scallops all tested for FREE if you whine a lot..

Just for the record -- those "readings from the Vancouver Aquarium" were a good example of the media fraud covering these stories. The Bay went from 8.1 to 7.4 or so in just a FEW YEARS.. Well of course -- that's because of NATURAL VARIATIONS in those coastals areas are often that high..

From the Monterrey Bay Aquarium (the right-wing nemesis of the Vancouver Aquarium :lol:

image6.png

See where they got those scary kind of numbers?? Sleep well -- don't horde..
And the BEST prep is the old butter/lemon/garlic...

Good point -- I didn't mention the lemon and/or garlic :thup:

Or the tarragon. But I'm not much of a cook. My expertise is consumption, review and further consumption.

Not sure I can uh, fathom what your point is with the aquaria... or with ....Monterey Bay (?)
scratchhead.gif

Last edited:
I'm buying a ton of scallops - and you should too
Not a bad idea, can always put em in the freezer. I love breaded fried scallops. They are great standalone for a mid-afternoon snack, with some tartar sauce on the side.

fried_scallops.jpg

I'll never understand the idea of breading and frying when you could broil or bake ... :confused:

all depends on what you like dont it?....

Not a bad idea, can always put em in the freezer. I love breaded fried scallops. They are great standalone for a mid-afternoon snack, with some tartar sauce on the side.

fried_scallops.jpg

all depends on what you like dont it?....

True, I suppose if you somehow hated the taste of scallops and dealt with that by covering them up with flour... but then why bother with such an expensive base when you could use the same method on something cheap?

:dunno:

Forum List

Back