I'm A Proud Luddite!

WillMunny

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
First of all, I fucking HATE these overrated flat-screen TVs. Even wearing my glasses, I think the picture only looks slightly better than a picture tube TV and it doesn't make up for having the worst, stupidest-sounding, tinniest speakers of any device ever built. And they're such disposable appliances that burn out after a few years, I'm already on my second one. I used to have a picture-tube 40-year-old Sony Trinitron TV that's been passed around my family over the decades that only recently died. With much deeper, throatier speakers. And the picture wasn't half-bad for such old technology.

That's why I crave older '80s analogue technology of picture-tubes and video tapes and cassette players: their sheer long-lasting, abuse-taking RELIABILITY! Today's current digital technology only has moderate improvements on the audio/visual front and is so delicate it goes to pieces if you even think about it wrong. I have a stereo tape player/CD-player and the tape-player works fine, the CD-player burnt out years ago. I have a VCR/DVD player and the VCR half works fine and its DVD half burnt out years ago. As I write, you see the reliability pattern? I honestly prefer a slightly more old-fashioned technology if it's a reliable "workhorse" that keeps on going forever without one electronic glitch after another after another that keeps pissing me off. Because I've had cassette and video tapes that work normally after decades. I cannot say that about disks.

You know the practical reason why I'm the only person in the First World without a cell phone? Because the exact topography of the hillside in which my rural cabin is built somehow prevents cell phone reception of any kind and one has to be well away from my house for a cell phone to work in my case......yet my ancient land line is as reliable as always. I guess I'm just a guy who's probably too old-school for his own good, I suppose.

I share your aversion to cellphones. At least half the time when I go out it might occur to me that I didn't take my phone. I just shrug and drive on. The only reason I got one in the first place was a client who had to know whether I had dates available RIGHT NOW. In reality she didn't need to know RIGHT NOW, she could have waited for me to get home and check the answering machine like normal people, but the advertiser gods had convinced her she had to do things RIGHT NOW and she capitulated. So I lost that job.

As far as your tinny speakers, don't even bother with 'em. Send your audio out to the big stereo. Or to some portable headphones. Tiny tinny speakers are just an insult.

Can't agree on LCDs versus CRTs. It cuts down a ton of glare. The big scam with video stuff is that bullshit idea that you need bigger and bigger and bigger. You don't. The eyes will adjust to whatever presents, from a laptop to a wall-size monstrosity, and you get the same image. That's an illusion they use to milk your wallet.

Is the scream therapy working or do you need a club?

You liberals would know all about scream therapy. That's what your violent, reprobate, oh-so-enlightened, oh-so-educated, oh-so-compassionate leftist discourse has devolved into.

Is the scream therapy working or do you need a club?

You liberals would know all about scream therapy. That's what your violent, reprobate, oh-so-enlightened, oh-so-educated, oh-so-compassionate leftist discourse has devolved into.
Liberals are not leftist they be centrist, democrats are not leftist they are centrist.. Conservative are not real conservatives if they support liberal ideas...So, do you really know what you are calling people cause you seem confused?

It amazes me that liberals are such insecure, panicky control freaks that it literally melts their sexual erections simply because this Republican stated that flat-screen TVs are overrated junk that burn out quickly......as opposed to my 40-year-old Sony Trinitron that recently died. And that CD's are mercurial junk that malfunction on a constant basis. What is so wrong with stating the obvious?

Attentions! Attention! WillMunny is having an elongated senior moment...
72688c48370c06e3df128d794d805996.jpg

I almost forgot another analogue superiority vs. modernity: slide pictures vs. digital pictures. Back in the '90s when I was visiting Hawaii I was taking slide photo using this "candy colored" Fuji Velvia slide film. Which would get framed, you'd put them into a projector and project them onto a huge screen. And herein lies the advantage: slide pictures were so soaked in pinpoint accurate, utterly 3-D looking glaring, spectacular detail, you seriously felt like you could step into the picture itself. Because (unlike print pictures with negatives or digital cameras) a slide picture was the actual image burnt onto the film itself. A digital camera's image is a computer chip's re-creation of that image, re-created onto your computer screen. An old slide picture was the photographic signature of a real thing, so it was more photonically direct.

I have taken both gazillions of slide and digital nature scenery pictures in Pacific island paradises and I can assure you from experience that there is no digital Internet picture of any quality of any kind that could remotely compare to seeing a 3D richness of a big slide picture on a movie screen. None. Slides still rule over all.

First of all, I fucking HATE these overrated flat-screen TVs. Even wearing my glasses, I think the picture only looks slightly better than a picture tube TV and it doesn't make up for having the worst, stupidest-sounding, tinniest speakers of any device ever built. And they're such disposable appliances that burn out after a few years, I'm already on my second one. I used to have a picture-tube 40-year-old Sony Trinitron TV that's been passed around my family over the decades that only recently died. With much deeper, throatier speakers. And the picture wasn't half-bad for such old technology.

That's why I crave older '80s analogue technology of picture-tubes and video tapes and cassette players: their sheer long-lasting, abuse-taking RELIABILITY! Today's current digital technology only has moderate improvements on the audio/visual front and is so delicate it goes to pieces if you even think about it wrong. I have a stereo tape player/CD-player and the tape-player works fine, the CD-player burnt out years ago. I have a VCR/DVD player and the VCR half works fine and its DVD half burnt out years ago. As I write, you see the reliability pattern? I honestly prefer a slightly more old-fashioned technology if it's a reliable "workhorse" that keeps on going forever without one electronic glitch after another after another that keeps pissing me off. Because I've had cassette and video tapes that work normally after decades. I cannot say that about disks.

You know the practical reason why I'm the only person in the First World without a cell phone? Because the exact topography of the hillside in which my rural cabin is built somehow prevents cell phone reception of any kind and one has to be well away from my house for a cell phone to work in my case......yet my ancient land line is as reliable as always. I guess I'm just a guy who's probably too old-school for his own good, I suppose.

Then get off the Internet and shut the fuck up.

I have one of the cheapest TVs around, just got rid of Ye Olde Tube TV.

It has great sound, I can only turn it up to around 12. I did have to mess with the equalizer, though.

I can even watch those new-fangled videos like all the hip kids.

topload7.JPG

A sound bar helps. As cheap as $30 at Walmart. You dont need 200W 5:1 setup if you dont want to play high quality audio through it. Fine for movie channels also. Solves some of the issue with those channels you are not able to hear.

What the hell do you find worth watching on TV? I gave up on TV when I left Japan and could no longer watch the Samurai Soap Opera and Sumo.

Forum List

Back