CDZ Illegal things that should be legal

Curious if an adult discussion can be had on this.
I will start
Drugs, there are currently some drugs that are classified as illegal that in my opinion should be legal providing they are regulated. Regulation (like alcohol) would insure a safer product while increasing tax revenue
Prostitution. Again, if regulated by the health department It would be a safer situation between two consenting adults with no harm to anyone.

Fell free to discuss these that I started with or bring up some other instances of illegal practices.
Drugs? Okay, but not addictive ones. We're just beginning to persuade doctors not to over prescribe them legally. Opiates destroy lives.
Prostitution. Absolutely. I have never understood why it is illegal. Has it always been?
So does automobiles and we don't ban them. Problem with drugs are them being illegal and fueling a multi billion dollar crime ring. Also, if you use alcohol prohibition as a consideration, alcohol related crimes, deaths and usage went down. Or so ive read. I wasn't alive then lol..
Not always. i don't understand why people would want to ban the most natural thing on earth simply because money is involved.
Our Big Brother is a bastard orphan. Not our family.
Opiates are too addictive and they send lives down the tubes, not just the addict's but the family's and the community's and the court system, etc. etc. We got an epidemic up here, have had for 20 years. Don't try to tell me selling opiates legally would make anything better. I can agree with not putting addicts in jail, just dealers, but we made enough of a mistake with tobacco. We know what we're doing this time. No opiates.
No idea what your last comment means. I tried.

I will start
Drugs, there are currently some drugs that are classified as illegal that in my opinion should be legal providing they are regulated. Regulation (like alcohol) would insure a safer product while increasing tax revenue
Prostitution. Again, if regulated by the health department It would be a safer situation between two consenting adults with no harm to anyone.

Fell free to discuss these that I started with or bring up some other instances of illegal practices.
Drugs? Okay, but not addictive ones. We're just beginning to persuade doctors not to over prescribe them legally. Opiates destroy lives.
Prostitution. Absolutely. I have never understood why it is illegal. Has it always been?
So does automobiles and we don't ban them. Problem with drugs are them being illegal and fueling a multi billion dollar crime ring. Also, if you use alcohol prohibition as a consideration, alcohol related crimes, deaths and usage went down. Or so ive read. I wasn't alive then lol..
Not always. i don't understand why people would want to ban the most natural thing on earth simply because money is involved.
Opiates are too addictive and they send lives down the tubes, not just the addict's but the family's and the community's and the court system, etc. etc. We got an epidemic up here, have had for 20 years. Don't try to tell me selling opiates legally would make anything better. I can agree with not putting addicts in jail, just dealers, but we made enough of a mistake with tobacco. We know what we're doing this time. No opiates.
Most drugs are....
people said that about alcohol, I bet.. JS. "we know what we are doing" Who the government? LMAO
"Big brother" is the government.

I will start

Those, especially, should be legalized. If they're legal, they can be controlled. The opiate epidemic now is out of control primarily because patients are cut off by their doctor when they're hooked and go to the street. If we make clinics open to those trying to rid themselves of addiction without dying from withdrawals (which would necessitate decriminalization), we could effectively cure the addiction problem.

Prison. Doesn't. Work. See what Portugal and Switzerland have done.
I agree with your approach. Treating addicts, not throwing addicts in jail makes sense, but making opiates "legal" and therefore more accessible/acceptable is not a good idea. We have Drug Court and clinics to treat addiction already; that is not solving any problems.

I will start

I agree with the opiates, I was referring more to things like marijuana, coke, acid MDA or MDMA.
For one thing, the theory that Marijuana is a gateway drug is true to a certain degree, however I think it has more to do with its illegal status than anything else. (although it has been show to be addictive in studies) Having an illegal drug causes one to use it in places that other illegal drugs are being used, such as Heroin, maybe the guy smoking a bowl on Friday night has to do so at the same party that others are shooting up. How long before the idea of just trying heroin becomes reality for that bowl smoker?
Reason alcohol is not considered gateway is because its legal, you can do it around others and not worry about being arrested, it does not force you into contact with other drugs.
Prostitution could be an actual public safety factory, not only the disease portion of it, but also in some cases it might be a release for someone other than rape, or molestation. Maybe not, its only a theory to be proven or disproven.
The real issue is that tax base, how much potential in tax is being lost by keeping these things underground and unreported? You could add a surcharge to these things, maybe just a few dollars per purchase that would be set aside for treatment centers or something.
Now that being said, The only problem I do see with marijuana is the inability to accurately determine its role in driving related issues on the side of the road.

I will start

Those, especially, should be legalized. If they're legal, they can be controlled. The opiate epidemic now is out of control primarily because patients are cut off by their doctor when they're hooked and go to the street. If we make clinics open to those trying to rid themselves of addiction without dying from withdrawals (which would necessitate decriminalization), we could effectively cure the addiction problem.

I agree with your approach. Treating addicts, not throwing addicts in jail makes sense, but making opiates "legal" and therefore more accessible/acceptable is not a good idea. We have Drug Court and clinics to treat addiction already; that is not solving any problems.
we do that now and it doesn't work

Cocaine~ any one over the age of 40 should be able to pick up a gram at Walgreens before heading out to the local bar

R-22

Leaded gas

Driving with out car insurance if your car is older then 20 years.

Driving with out a seat belt, legal if you are over the age of 40 years old

Drinking an open beer while driving is legal as long as you are not drunk, should be legal as long as you are over the age of 40 years old.

Riding a motorcycle with out a helmet should be legal if over the age of 40.
Did you just have a birthday? Happy Birthday, Bear.

I will start

Treating heroin addicts is a very hard thing to do. after a very short time using, the brain starts looking for the heroin for various things like the release of Dopamine.
even after stopping use, the "cravings" for the drug can last for 7 to 10 years. (has to do with conversion and storage of metabolites in the fat cells)
oh, and nobody is going to die from Heroin withdrawal. They may want to die for a week after they quit, but God is not that good to them. They suffer, they get over it. Unless they use suboxone to step dwon, or (not my choice at all) methadone.

I will start

I agree with the opiates, I was referring more to things like marijuana, coke, acid MDA or MDMA.
For one thing, the theory that Marijuana is a gateway drug is true to a certain degree, however I think it has more to do with its illegal status than anything else. (although it has been show to be addictive in studies) Having an illegal drug causes one to use it in places that other illegal drugs are being used, such as Heroin, maybe the guy smoking a bowl on Friday night has to do so at the same party that others are shooting up. How long before the idea of just trying heroin becomes reality for that bowl smoker?
Reason alcohol is not considered gateway is because its legal, you can do it around others and not worry about being arrested, it does not force you into contact with other drugs.
Prostitution could be an actual public safety factory, not only the disease portion of it, but also in some cases it might be a release for someone other than rape, or molestation. Maybe not, its only a theory to be proven or disproven.
The real issue is that tax base, how much potential in tax is being lost by keeping these things underground and unreported? You could add a surcharge to these things, maybe just a few dollars per purchase that would be set aside for treatment centers or something.
Now that being said, The only problem I do see with marijuana is the inability to accurately determine its role in driving related issues on the side of the road.
They have breathalyzers for that now, I think. Stoners aren't generally bad drivers, are they? Maybe a little slow...
I agree pot is mostly a gateway drug because you buy it and use it from people with other drugs available. It puts you in touch with a whole 'nother part of society you might never have met. It's seldom a good thing.
Not sure what you meant about prostitution. If you meant it might work out well to decriminalize it and regulate it, you need only look to Nevada to see if it works.

I will start

They have breathalyzers for that now, I think. Stoners aren't generally bad drivers, are they? Maybe a little slow...
I agree pot is mostly a gateway drug because you buy it and use it from people with other drugs available. It puts you in touch with a whole 'nother part of society you might never have met. It's seldom a good thing.
Not sure what you meant about prostitution. If you meant it might work out well to decriminalize it and regulate it, you need only look to Nevada to see if it works.
By not sure I am referring to my thoughts that it could be an outlet for someone to go to instead of rape. The jury is out on that as far as I'm concerned, is rape a power thing, a sex thing or a little of each? On the other hand, I can also see where it might open up some interesting cases of rape where the guy claims dinner was the payment for the sex afterwards, or something to that effect.

I will start

Treating heroin addicts is a very hard thing to do. after a very short time using, the brain starts looking for the heroin for various things like the release of Dopamine.
even after stopping use, the "cravings" for the drug can last for 7 to 10 years. (has to do with conversion and storage of metabolites in the fat cells)
oh, and nobody is going to die from Heroin withdrawal. They may want to die for a week after they quit, but God is not that good to them. They suffer, they get over it. Unless they use suboxone to step dwon, or (not my choice at all) methadone.
Did I say they'd die? I said their lives were ruined. I know more about opiate addiction than I care to. Addicts have a life long struggle in front of them to stay clean, but the actual motivation to stop, to get clean in the first place, becomes fainter and fainter as time goes on. Your plan sounds fine as far as it goes, but you are not taking into account the fact that most addicts have no desire to stop. The easier you make it for them to get their hands on opiates, the less successful any treatment program will be.

oh, and reflexes are also reduced with marijuana.
Not a good idea to drive while high.
Side issue, If you sit outside of the methadone clinic in Annapolis, you will see people drive up, some in company lettered work vehicles, Go in and get their daily opiate fix, come out and drive themselves away.
Seems its not illegal to drive while using opiates in the state of Maryland.
I have issue with this.

By not sure I am referring to my thoughts that it could be an outlet for someone to go to instead of rape. The jury is out on that as far as I'm concerned, is rape a power thing, a sex thing or a little of each? On the other hand, I can also see where it might open up some interesting cases of rape where the guy claims dinner was the payment for the sex afterwards, or something to that effect.
Since prostitution is readily available, I don't think legalizing it would impact rape that much. If people want to utilize a prostitute, they already do. If they want to rape, they already do. They're kind of two separate things, I think. The only difference would be (hopefully) less transmission of STD's and more safety for the prostitute, since she would be able to report a rape or assault by one of her clients and she wouldn't be taken advantage of by a pimp.

Side issue, If you sit outside of the methadone clinic in Annapolis, you will see people drive up, some in company lettered work vehicles, Go in and get their daily opiate fix, come out and drive themselves away.
I have issue with this.
It's common to "nod out" after a dose. We've had a couple of vehicular deaths because of it recently (it's never the addict who dies, naturally). It would be better to make clients wait or take the bus, like you would if you'd had one too many drinks.

I will start

Did I say they'd die? I said their lives were ruined. I know more about opiate addiction than I care to. Addicts have a life long struggle in front of them to stay clean, but the actual motivation to stop, to get clean in the first place, becomes fainter and fainter as time goes on. Your plan sounds fine as far as it goes, but you are not taking into account the fact that most addicts have no desire to stop. The easier you make it for them to get their hands on opiates, the less successful any treatment program will be.
Your assessment sounds fine on the surface but, I do know that there is a point that heroin use becomes necessity and not desire. They would rather be clean. Just this one last time then I'm going to quit....
Just to clarify, I am an addiction counselor, certified. I work at a facility for the mentally ill and chemically addicted. Long term stays, not the 29 day programs. I also run interventions upon request from family or friends of heroin addicts. I attend N/A meetings with these people usually 5 times a week. I am a certified Medication Technician.
I will have my third degree in a year and a half. (current is in internet security, an Associates in substance abuse and the next one will be my BA in Psychology)
I do have some insight.
Now, I will agree with you 100% that there are addicts out there that have no desire to quit. (known as the pre-contemplative stage of recovery) Our job if we know these people is to move them to the contemplative stage of recovery so the desire will grow.
Sad part about my job is that I deal with so many that have actually toasted their brains in a permanent way with the abuse.
Take Dabs for instance (pure THC extract dried and smoked) Smoking dabs can cause psychosis, take away the dabs and the psychosis will go away in time. However, continue using and the psychosis can become permanent. A recognized psychosis that continues without improvement, or increases over a watched 6 month period can then often be categorized as schizophrenia, which is permanent.

I have issue with this.
It's common to "nod out" after a dose. We've had a couple of vehicular deaths because of it recently (it's never the addict who dies, naturally). It would be better to make clients wait or take the bus, like you would if you'd had one too many drinks.
I have not used a drug in 32 years and have not so much as sipped an alcoholic drink in over 2.
But in my drinking days, I would have just drove the hell home. I was fortunate to never get a DUI or God forbid kill someone.

Prostitution--sure; drugs, nope except maybe weed.

My list:

Raising chickens in my back yard

Having a bee hive in my back yard

Swearing in public

Making porn in my state--it is legal to possess but illegal to make which makes no sense.
depending on the neighborhood
Chickens,noisy, can have an odor and debatable health issues associated with keeping them.
Bee Hive, although I can see why neighbors might complain as they rub calamine lotion on themselves, the benefits at this point are huge. I say yes to the bee hive.
swearing in public, can be considered offensive by those with children, I think curbing our language in public is a civilized move.
Making porn, why not? think of the taxes that could be made from it. again, if legal and regulated the exposure to criminal behavior is limited more than it is by making people do it hidden away.

I will start

Things I would like to see legalized? Here's a partial list:
  • Pot
  • non-opiate drugs
  • Prostitution
  • driving without a seat belt
  • Riding a motorcycle/ATV without a helmet
  • Low-dose Antibiotics
  • New two-stroke outboard boat motors
  • 3-Wheelers
  • Pointy stuff you throw for recreation (i.e. lawn darts)
  • Filling privately owned permanent propane tanks. (yes, in some states this is illegal)
  • Capital punishment for serious/repeat offenders
Of course many of them would need to be regulated, and only for adults. Legalizing most of these for children is a non-starter for me. If/when I think of any others I will post them.

If an adult, or more than one adult, consent to a given activity, that has little, if any, potential to cause harm to others, why should it be illegal? I can think of only two reasons, (1) attempting to legislate morality, (2) to target a specific group(s) of people in an attempt to marginalize them.

I will start

Things I would like to see legalized? Here's a partial list:
  • Pot
  • non-opiate drugs
  • Prostitution
  • driving without a seat belt
  • Riding a motorcycle/ATV without a helmet
  • Low-dose Antibiotics
  • New two-stroke outboard boat motors
  • 3-Wheelers
  • Pointy stuff you throw for recreation (i.e. lawn darts)
  • Filling privately owned permanent propane tanks. (yes, in some states this is illegal)
  • Capital punishment for serious/repeat offenders
Of course many of them would need to be regulated, and only for adults. Legalizing most of these for children is a non-starter for me. If/when I think of any others I will post them.

If an adult, or more than one adult, consent to a given activity, that has little, if any, potential to cause harm to others, why should it be illegal? I can think of only two reasons, (1) attempting to legislate morality, (2) to target a specific group(s) of people in an attempt to marginalize them.
only one I can come up with an argument for is the seat belt.
my reason is because of a personal experience years ago when I was driving without one. I got hit going through a light, impact was in the right rear quarter, the impact caused me to slide across the front seat (remember the vinyl bench seats?) and the car was suddenly without a driver. just an empty spot behind the wheel and me and my date taking up about 2 square inches of seat space on the passenger side. Under other conditions I would have welcomed this closeness.
My sudden lack of control caused my car to head to the left and I hit a parked car.
Had I had on a seat belt, I most likely would have stayed behind the wheel and hit nothing.
Imagine if that parked car wasn't there and I jumped the curb and hit people walking on the sidewalk

I'd like to see marriage expanded. I think any number of consenting adults should be allowed to marry. If there is medical reason to worry about incest then it should be regulated. Otherwise anything is allowed.

I would rather see marriage eliminated as far as government benefits goes. Get them out of the marriage-pushing business altogether.
You can call it anything you want but it conveys legal privileges so there must be something binding. If you want to say only a religion can marry and the state can only sanction a civil union that's fine so long as the marriage has no legal aspects.

I see no reason it should be legally binding at all.

Prostitution--sure; drugs, nope except maybe weed.

My list:

Raising chickens in my back yard

Having a bee hive in my back yard

Swearing in public

Making porn in my state--it is legal to possess but illegal to make which makes no sense.
depending on the neighborhood
Chickens,noisy, can have an odor and debatable health issues associated with keeping them.
Bee Hive, although I can see why neighbors might complain as they rub calamine lotion on themselves, the benefits at this point are huge. I say yes to the bee hive.
swearing in public, can be considered offensive by those with children, I think curbing our language in public is a civilized move.
Making porn, why not? think of the taxes that could be made from it. again, if legal and regulated the exposure to criminal behavior is limited more than it is by making people do it hidden away.

I don't want to keep chickens. I want my neighbor to keep chickens so I can steal the eggs.

Forum List

Back