If you were this boy's parent?

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
What would have written?

try_2-_pic_for_upworthy.jpg.jpg

Source:
A Boy Came Out As Gay On Facebook. His Mother Found Out And Decided To Write Him This Letter.

I think that mom's letter is just about perfect. She indicates she was surprised, but she's not laying any guilt trips on him, like "why didn't you tell me first?"...that sort of thing.

She tells him that she loves him unconditionally and will always be on his side.

And then she proves she isn't obsessed about it by changing the subject to the trash in his room (humor).

Couldn't be written any better than that.

I would assure my son that I loved him just as much as I ever did. I would not accept his homosexuality as an alternative form of normal. Parents who have children with other forms of abnormality certainly love them. They just recognize that for whatever reason, their child will never be a normal child or grow up into a normal adult.

I think that mom's letter is just about perfect. She indicates she was surprised, but she's not laying any guilt trips on him, like "why didn't you tell me first?"...that sort of thing.

She tells him that she loves him unconditionally and will always be on his side.

And then she proves she isn't obsessed about it by changing the subject to the trash in his room (humor).

My thoughts as well.

Thinking about all the sad and needless suicides by young people, my bet is that most have parents who said, "Get out faggot".

And, I wonder how those parents live with themselves.

I would never put my intimate personal business on Facebook. I would have hoped by this point in my son's life that we would have the type of relationship where he felt comfortable discussing issues of this nature with me personally.

My thoughts as well.

Thinking about all the sad and needless suicides by young people, my bet is that most have parents who said, "Get out faggot".

I'm not sure most parents would actually say, "get out faggot." When it's suddenly THEIR chid, I think it changes their thinking.

I used to be on a forum that had a lot of very far right types of individuals. Some who were very outspoken and seemed to think that whoever spoke the nastiest would win the argument. One of the worst of these, though, surprised me because he would not join in the gay-bashing that went on. Turns out he had a gay brother, a brother he loved. So in his far-right world, there was this exception for gays...because HE had a gay person in HIS family.

I've seen the same thing with some of the serious rednecks in my neighborhood. I was walking my dogs past one of their houses and saw a little black boy standing in the open doorway. One of their white sons was also running around with a black girl...his cousin. :)

The people right next door to me...their daughter married a black guy and they have a child. Suddenly these rednecks find they do have a bit of tolerance buried deep down in their souls somewhere. :)

Last edited:

My thoughts as well.

I'm not sure most parents would actually say, "get out faggot." When it's suddenly THEIR chid, I think it changes their thinking.

I used to be on a forum that had a lot of very far right types of individuals. Some who were very outspoken and seemed to think that whoever spoke the nastiest would win the argument. One of the worst of these, though, surprised me because he would not join in the gay-bashing that went on. Turns out he had a gay brother, a brother he loved. So in his far-right world, there was this exception for gays...because HE had a gay person in HIS family.

I've seen the same thing with some of the serious rednecks in my neighborhood. I was walking my dogs past one of their houses and saw a little black boy standing in the open doorway. One of their white sons was also running around with a black girl...his cousin. :)

The people right next door to me...their daughter married a black guy and they have a child. Suddenly these rednecks find they do have a bit of tolerance buried deep down in their souls somewhere. :)

"Get out faggot" is a direct quote from this thread and I have to believe that he would really say that to his own child.

And yes, I do think that this is the kind of thing that kids hear from their family just before they decide to end their lives.

Jonathan Allen, a contestant on America's Got Talent said that his parents threw him out on his 18th birthday because he's gay and they have not seen him since. So yes, it happens.

I knew a guy in high school who came out after we graduated and his mother told him that she'd rather have no son than a gay one.

My thoughts as well.

"Get out faggot" is a direct quote from this thread and I have to believe that he would really say that to his own child.

And yes, I do think that this is the kind of thing that kids hear from their family just before they decide to end their lives.

Acceptance of self and of others starts at a very young age and it is both fostered and nurtured by the parents over the years. There is something wrong where a parent rejects their own child for this it is like the parent is rejecting themselves.

Acceptance of self and of others starts at a very young age and it is both fostered and nurtured by the parents over the years. There is something wrong where a parent rejects their own child for this it is like the parent is rejecting themselves.

I suspect that's at least part of the underlying reason for not accepting a gay child.

Its not for nuthin that homophobics hate gays or believe them to be abnormal -- because they're afraid they themselves are gay.

Sad.

They are abnormal, there's no argument with that.

Are you suggesting that the parents of gay children are gay themselves? Is that your position?

My thoughts as well.

Sometimes we even have "them" over to the house for a shrimp boil or barbecue.

Why do you automatically suppose rednecks are racist?
Do you figure that because I live in Alabama, I must live in a single wide with dogs under the porch?

And you call Conservatives prejudiced...

My thoughts as well.

Sometimes we even have "them" over to the house for a shrimp boil or barbecue.

Why do you automatically suppose rednecks are racist?
Do you figure that because I live in Alabama, I must live in a single wide with dogs under the porch?

And you call Conservatives prejudiced...

Because that's what they're "known" for. Okay, I didn't paint the picture of a redneck, I'm just looking at the picture. And I've known a fair share of them. Of course, not all rednecks are racist, I've just given an example of a couple of redneck families who had their eyes opened to tolerance. But generally speaking...they're known to be just a tad bit racist.

Hold on a minute now...you're not insinuating I'm a liberal are you? I sure hope not. Not because I hate liberals, or anything like that...I'm just not a liberal.

By the way, look up the damn definition of a "redneck" in our current culture and see what it says. Don't blame the reputation they've garnered for themselves on me!

By the way, I know a black guy who's married to a white woman. They're from Mississippi. Occasionally they go back there to visit family, and when they do they are very much on guard. Maybe they haven't been invited to enough shrimp boils to feel at ease down there in redneck country.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back