If you find a bag of Money and Keep it are you a "Thief"?

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
http://7online.com/news/atm-employe...-lawn;-police-seek-person-who-took-it/886443/

MAHWAH POLICE SEEK THIEF WHO STOLE $150,000 CASH AFTER ATM EMPLOYEES LEFT MONEY UNATTENDED

So, the ATM pickup guy leaves a bag of money on the side of the road. Some other guys pick up the bag and it looks like they didnt know what was in it to begin with.

Does that technically make you a thief? Even the news guy asked the police "Was a crime committed?"

The general rule for lost property is Finders Keepers - but if there is anything to identify the owner, then the honest thing to do is to return the property.

It's also likely that, contrary to common law practices, some jurisdictions might require that a finder turn other found property to the government (in the spirit of everything belongs to the taxman).

Yes you see if it is not yours you do not have the right to take it.

Have you ever found money? Did you return it everytime?

I've found wallets with the ID in them a couple of times, and returned them to the owners. They were quite thankful. Conversely, someone found mr. boe's wallet once, and sent it to us via mail. We were quite relieved.

When I was in the grocery store, I took a pack of small batteries and continued shopping without a basket. I got more than what I planned and couldn't carry it all. I slipped the batteries in my pocket and forgot to get them out at the checkout. I discovered them when I got home and had to go all the way back to pay for them. The clerk was amazed I did that and I was astonished she felt that way.

I've found wallets with the ID in them a couple of times, and returned them to the owners. They were quite thankful. Conversely, someone found mr. boe's wallet once, and sent it to us via mail. We were quite relieved.

That's happened to me too, and that's how it should work.

But in this case were there any identifying marks on the satchel that would direct the finder where to go with it? The story doesn't say. If not, for all the finder knows it could have been abandoned by a drug merchant on the run, or anything.

A satchel in good shape sitting on the side of the road, even totally empty, might be a useful find just in itself, so it's understandable that somebody would pick it up.

Yeah 'inside job' was my first thought too -- it kinda boggles the mind to think ATM pickups like this go on routinely and a simple lapse of attention is all it took. You'd think this would happen almost daily with that lazy procedure.

When I was in the grocery store, I took a pack of small batteries and continued shopping without a basket. I got more than what I planned and couldn't carry it all. I slipped the batteries in my pocket and forgot to get them out at the checkout. I discovered them when I got home and had to go all the way back to pay for them. The clerk was amazed I did that and I was astonished she felt that way.

You were lucky -- the kids in My Cousin Vinny did that with a can of tuna and got charged with murder. ;)

But in this case were there any identifying marks on the satchel that would direct the finder where to go with it? The story doesn't say. If not, for all the finder knows it could have been abandoned by a drug merchant on the run, or anything.

A satchel in good shape sitting on the side of the road, even totally empty, might be a useful find.
I wonder if the bank employee is looking for a job today.

A satchel in good shape sitting on the side of the road, even totally empty, might be a useful find just in itself, so it's understandable that somebody would pick it up.

Yeah 'inside job' was my first thought too -- it kinda boggles the mind to think ATM pickups like this go on routinely and a simple lapse of attention is all it took. You'd think this would happen almost daily with that lazy procedure.

Agreed. If there were identifying marks, then keeping the money is certainly immoral.

It could have been an inside job, but as a rule, I don't ascribe mal intent to things that can also be attributed to incomptency/mistake.

You were lucky -- the kids in My Cousin Vinny did that with a can of tuna and got charged with murder. ;)
:eek-52:

I've done similar.

Yes.

I am rather saddened by the fact you could not anticipate similar responses. The world is not quite as bad as you think it is.

You're saddened? You need to get out more. Of course I thought some would say yes and some would say no...because oh sad one, those are the only 2 choices. Run along and dont play with the razors today.

http://7online.com/news/atm-employe...-lawn;-police-seek-person-who-took-it/886443/

MAHWAH POLICE SEEK THIEF WHO STOLE $150,000 CASH AFTER ATM EMPLOYEES LEFT MONEY UNATTENDED

So, the ATM pickup guy leaves a bag of money on the side of the road. Some other guys pick up the bag and it looks like they didnt know what was in it to begin with.

Does that technically make you a thief? Even the news guy asked the police "Was a crime committed?"

If you find a car open with the car keys in it- and drive off with it- does that technically make you a car thief?

Forum List

Back