If you can remember watching a black and white television

We got our first big color TV for the moon landing. My father was pissed when it turned out to be broadcast in black and white.

Unlike many b&w movies, b&w television presentations lacked the style, composition, and artistry. I don't think I have ever heard anyone mourn the passing b&w television. Color made television bearable and at times enjoyable.

Unlike many b&w movies, b&w television presentations lacked the style, composition, and artistry. I don't think I have ever heard anyone mourn the passing b&w television. Color made television bearable and at times enjoyable.

Until you see a colorized version of 'Casablanca' on TCM .... yech!

Remember when stations would sign off at the end of a day? The National Anthem would play, followed by the Television Code card, then the test pattern with the Indian head and the beeeeeeep...

'McKeever and the Colonel'

ti113999.jpg

And Serials Saturday on KCLA...

'Rocky Jones, Space Ranger'

MV5BYTQ0ZmMwZGUtYzMxYS00OGFjLThmM2MtZTdjMmJlM2ZjNGY2L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE2NzA0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

'Rocketman'

aarocketman14.jpg

I remember watching Carol Burnett live before color. She was doing a concert at Carnegie Hall live on TV.

At the time, I thought she was so chic and classy.

I still think she is, but looking at everything with a critical view, her singing is great. She could have had a career as a serious singer if she hadn't been such an incredible comedian.
The stage is so empty and dowdy. The lighting is terrible. Her dress doesn't fit. When they show it from the back, her elbows look like sweat pants that had been worn too long and the zipper down the back is all weirdly puckered. You would swear she picked her clothes out at good will.

And yet, TV being such a new medium and making so little money had really poor production values.

But the talent is undeniable.

I bet she made more money from the actual concert, since it was sold out, than what she made off TV. But that's just a guess.

Of course, that didn't last long, just a couple of years later, we had the fantastic production values of Bonanza, but the world is an entirely different place than when I was a kid.

Last edited:
Growing up, this was my favorite show, until Lost in Space, Time Tunnel, the Bionic man and woman and so on.

Then I found Patty Duke and was hooked. I thought she was so beautiful.

I never was into the exotic. I always found the girl next door attractive.

Forum List

Back