If U.S government shut down, would anyone care? Enough to force someones hand?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I was thinking of this, outside of the fact that many are committed to wanting a Wall and legitimate immigration reform in the U.S; what if there was a shut down and nobody cared?

I raise this issue as if people see they don't need all the services, it could really backfire. For instance, in Canada we have had a Postal slowdown/near strike for a couple of months, the union timed it for Christmas for maximum impact. Outside of a few gifts which took longer to arrive, I hardly noticed nor cared.

So, how would this play out in reality if Trump decides he needs to play hardball for the sake of U.S Sovereignty?

Reagan fired 11,000 striking airliner workers in '81 , for shutting down

I say 'we the people' have the exact same right for a governance doing the same

~S~

75% of government funding is already done. No one would notice if these functions were shut down.

The only reason why the last shutdown was noticed is because anti American shitstain obama spent a fortune making it painful. He's the one that paid guards to make sure no one looked at the view, no one approached monuments in the park. You won't find that nonsense with the pro American President Trump.

Temporarily furloughing something like 15% of the "non-essential" personnel (why are they there in the first place?), who will eventually be paid in full, isn't any kind of "shutdown"....Bunch of media generated hype, weeping, and wailing is about all this is.

Temporarily furloughing something like 15% of the "non-essential" personnel (why are they there in the first place?), who will eventually be paid in full, isn't any kind of "shutdown"....Bunch of media generated hype, weeping, and wailing is about all this is.

Both sides LOVE the shutdown threat. They get to argue over whose fault it is while the American people wonder why they're supposed to give a shit.

If all this is true, Trump needs to go forward with it and get what America needs. This might be his only chance.

Cause there's nothing that says Christmas like a furlough and loss of a paycheck right Scrooge?

Non essential personnel who are furloughed DON'T get paid for the time they aren't at work. The only people who will get back pay and be paid in full are the essential personnel who remain working, but, those essential personnel won't be paid until the government is reopened.

I know. I went through one for 24 days back in the mid 90's. All military personnel were required to come to work, but we missed a payday during that time and some of the lower ranks who lived paycheck to paycheck and had families had to go to Navy Relief for a loan to pay their bills. When the government reopened, back pay was paid, and they paid back Navy Relief.

All the civilians who were furloughed? They called us every morning, wondering if they could come back to work yet. I know that the shutdown hurt quite a few of the civilian workers on base quite a bit financially, they missed out on almost a whole months pay.

I believe that Social Security and VA checks don't go out when there are Government shutdowns as well.

Nice...

Goldilocks hasn't got the sack to shuter' down ..

hide and watch - another slap in the face to his base, and another round of excuses from them saying they really didnt care ...

75% of government funding is already done. No one would notice if these functions were shut down.

The only reason why the last shutdown was noticed is because anti American shitstain obama spent a fortune making it painful. He's the one that paid guards to make sure no one looked at the view, no one approached monuments in the park. You won't find that nonsense with the pro American President Trump.

Yes, you will.

they should be shut down anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it's in HUGE debt
shut down and NO pay
this is BULLSHIT--
there should be lay-offs

Cause there's nothing that says Christmas like a furlough and loss of a paycheck right Scrooge?
kleenex-truck.jpg

Non essential personnel who are furloughed DON'T get paid for the time they aren't at work. The only people who will get back pay and be paid in full are the essential personnel who remain working, but, those essential personnel won't be paid until the government is reopened.

I know. I went through one for 24 days back in the mid 90's. All military personnel were required to come to work, but we missed a payday during that time and some of the lower ranks who lived paycheck to paycheck and had families had to go to Navy Relief for a loan to pay their bills. When the government reopened, back pay was paid, and they paid back Navy Relief.

All the civilians who were furloughed? They called us every morning, wondering if they could come back to work yet. I know that the shutdown hurt quite a few of the civilian workers on base quite a bit financially, they missed out on almost a whole months pay.
Pity the pooooooor, poooooor Washington bureaucrat!....They'll eventually be paid in full for their little vacation.....You get no sympathy from me.

Pity the pooooooor, poooooor Washington bureaucrat!....They'll eventually be paid in full for their little vacation.....You get no sympathy from me.

Wrong. If they are furloughed, they don't get paid for the time they are off.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump just says, "military is an essential service they will be working as usual...I will be directing $5B to start for them as one of their missions to build a wall and defend National Security between us and any invading nation."

Win/Win. They can try to tie it up in court while the military builds it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump just says, "military is an essential service they will be working as usual...I will be directing $5B to start for them as one of their missions to build a wall and defend National Security between us and any invading nation."

Win/Win. They can try to tie it up in court while the military builds it.
Isn't it fun to fantasize?

Of course my fantasies usually revolve around a 35 yr old brunette who finds me irresistible but

The Washington bureaucrats make sure they are "essential" since they write the rules. It is the lower end workers just trying to provide for their families that get screwed over.

Forum List

Back